11 replies to this topic

#1 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 921 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:58 PM

Cory, a non-standard skeleton, character dressed in T and shorts; 

A few unfinished/ rough action animations...

#2 aroundworld

aroundworld

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 879 posts
  • Interests:Film - writing - directing - aviation - traveling - machinema - reading - acting -

Posted 06 September 2015 - 01:32 PM

THIS REALLY LOOKS GREAT TREE!!!!!!

There is no try, only do or do not.

Learn story telling in the MOVIESTORM education forum. 

START HERE:  http://www.moviestor...showtopic=13153

#3 PapaG

PapaG

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 864 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:28 PM

is it Difficult to Import your own skeleton In to MS? I mean obviously it would be a lot of work to actually Develop all the walks Postures and Costumes and all the little extra's that make the character cool, But I am talking just about the basic core? How Difficult is that!

Gerald Lang

papag.jpg

I am around occasionally

#4 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5365 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:33 PM

What would be the point? It couldn't use any of the built-in Moviestorm postures, gestures, dressing room, lip sync etc.

If you wanted to, you could certainly create your own animated prop in the shape of a human but you would have to animate every single aspect of them (imagine the size of the ring menu you would need for their animations!).

So the answer really depends on what you are trying to achieve.

To create a new MS-integrated "child" ? Extremely hard (even with the third integrated skeleton MS have proved).

To create your own animated puppet? Not too hard, just massively time-consuming (I'm talking "Man-years" here).

Personally I think children puppets were effectively made impossible during Moviestorm's original design phase. I have given up hoping for them.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#5 PapaG

PapaG

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 864 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:28 PM

What would be the point? It couldn't use any of the built-in Moviestorm postures, gestures, dressing room, lip sync etc.

First off thank you for your response I appreciate it.

But you say it would not Support MS Lip sync, is that your opinion or Fact? I ask Because I just watched pedrosura Kaleidoscope, Witch Contains Tree's Child Mod
and the Lip Sync Looked spot on, I don't Own the Mod My Self so I cant test it! Maybe you do and so you know, or maybe your like me and you don't!
From what I have seen of Tree's additional puppets,from his mod demo movie posting They do Use the dressing room (again from what I have seen!), But you have said they don't!

Now Obviously postures, gestures,animated prop's yes you would have to create all these from scratch that's Fact not Opinion, i get it.

But to answer your first question "What would be the point?"

while MS is a slowly shrinking community Having a Child Puppet could potentially cause it to grow again! I for one would like to see it thrive again like it once did! But, it's going to need the Help of us modder's

In Theory (While I know it would be a lot of work)I would like to create a Child Core with basic Walk and sit animations(assuming I could get The dressing room,& lip sync to work),and Then Release the Child core to the Community for free, along with The Child skeleton File I used to mod it, to the Modding Community.
With a core Released for Free and a Community of Modders who could make Mod's for it using the skeleton file,postures, gestures,animated prop's,& Costumes, with the help of with the mod's of other modders (using of course the The skeleton I Released) I would not have to create all the other assets by my self! and with time and other modders Help We a community, could soon have a Kick ass Child puppet!
and yes in Theory it could work,
but being a Theory I also realize,I could be out to Lunch! as you Post already suggests.

But if it could be done, maybe there's hope?

probably not, you are often correct.

but you Know "Dream never Dies Just The Dreamer!"

Gerald Lang

papag.jpg

I am around occasionally

#6 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5365 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:06 AM

It is fact, if you meant what you said. Which was that you would create your own skeleton. Tree is making use of the functionality of the third Moviestorm skeleton as far as I know.

And my question was, what would be the point of creating your own skeleton (which was what you were asking about about wasn't it?). Not "what would be the point of creating children characters"  which is something I first requested sometime in 2008 I believe, when many other people on the forum were instead demanding the ability to put photos of their own faces on MS puppets ......

#7 PapaG

PapaG

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 864 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:00 AM

Tree is making use of the functionality of the third Moviestorm skeleton as far as I know.

I am tying to figure this whole thing out of Importing Additional MS Puppets into Moviestorm (for the purpose of making a Child Puppet), I assumed Tree had Built The skeleton him self.

Thats my bad, I asked the wrong question, I should Know better then to assume anything!

so any Idea where I might find "the third Moviestorm skeleton"?  if said skeleton exist (and you say it dose)  I would like to attempt to use it too!

Gerald Lang

papag.jpg

I am around occasionally

#8 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5365 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:44 AM

You'd be better asking Tree or Ben about using the extra skeleton. I haven't attempted to use one.

#9 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5365 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:57 AM

However, thinking about this more....it may just be that MS code now gives you the option to use any third skeleton as long as it has exactly the same number of bones and joints as the MS one and has the same bone names. So if your original question was about bringing in a copy of an MS skeleton which was only adjusted in size, then I think that is possible now. But creating a completely new skeleton and ignoring the existing structures would not be practical for the reasons I gave before.

#10 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:28 AM

Yes, one can now import a new model as a character into Moviestorm. there is a list of animations that you can make (a breathing anim and walk cycle are a good place to start), and some setup is required matching bone names in a config file. It should then be able to appear in the dressing room, and behave as a Moviestorm character, and be able to look at or point at things by mapping the actions on to the bones of the new character.

I'm fairly sure that is what tree has been doing with Corey; although it may be heavily based on an existing Moviestorm skeleton (the head, for example, looks to be scaled down adult size, rather than made for a younger character).

I had a thread with some details about the process here: http://www.moviestor...showtopic=14565

Note that while there are a bunch of bones which are required, one could easily have a lot of other bones (for say, wings, long waving hair or a third arm).

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#11 tree

tree

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 921 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 03:07 PM

Many thanks to the people who commented on the progress of this thread and to the people who have extended it beyond it's work in progress into 'the extra skeletons'; characters beyond the Fe/Male01 2 characters within movieStorm.

The above Video (in the first post) is just a rough draft without good transitions built into the animations nor into the Verb/Statemachine (Transition machine) of the addon. A good addon Requires those features for a good mix of animations... Unless:As you can see in the video... I just used good timing of gestures blending so they would roughly blend before ending each animation...

I would like to have more time through the week for writing a good reply to this and other comments and questions: I will try to get to it more this weekend.

Many Thanks to Ben again;pointing people in the right direction (that link/thread gave me the key to understanding how to build any new character ) and  making it possible for anybody to build anything from a chicken, boy, Cory, or any biped type creature within the current MovieStorm version:

See Ben's link for howto. Info on the minimum number of animations and other essential things you need to do to make a full character. 

The nature of moviestorm character animations: Any character/puppet/skeleton requires it's own animations: Universal animations in MovieStorm doesn't exist.

A Developer would need to re-target and personalize matching animations outside of moviestorm, building animations that have a good key network of transition points. 

In-game key "director-concentric' animations makes for very fast development for making Movies, though very time-expensive for Addon developers.

Years ago I did ask () for any of the core/base01 original animations (Bip,FBX,etc) data so I could easily build up a universal set of animations in my Dev. Software along with re-targeting and personalizing animations to new characters. Not available to me so each and every animations (that I have made) is painstakingly built, re-targeted and personalized to my new characters. 

1 complex animation may have taken hours, another less time, though all up many 1000s of hours of my time. The quality of the resulting animations could be improved also. 

Cory is a curious character for me, with the ideal of moving away from the standard Fe/Male01 shape/form/skin.

The Video a demo of some possible actions, if there is enough interest from the Core addon at a marketplace in the future.

#12 sosberg

sosberg

Master Director

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:53 AM

Thanks mate!

I really enjoy your work and appreciate the amount of hours put in to one mod. :D

I would like to see us get this place right first before we have the arrogance to put significantly flawed civilizations out onto other planets, even though they may be utterly uninhabited.
--PATRICK STEWART--