Photo

How would you use Moviestorm in schools?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 matt

matt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 956 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:02 PM

Every time we go to school and do a presentation, we get new ideas suggested to us on how Moviestorm could be used as a teaching tool.

What do you suggest?
Matt Kelland
Moviestorm Founder

#2 RUN415

RUN415

Master Director

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:04 PM

====================
Hi
I think MS is a really good tool for film students (or any student)
because it covers many facets of film making.
Besides the obvious...

Set creation and dressing
Actor recruitment
Directing
Photography
Editing + Production

...there's also other things not immediately apparent like...

Scriptwriting
Style
Foley
Continuity (which I've recently learnt (from MS) can be a real pain smile.gif
Organization (Scenes - File + Film Location)
Timeline
Post Production - Audio + FX
Rendering
Promotion

...and well, really, the list goes on.

I know, from experience, that students learn better if the subject is interesting.
And I think you have an interesting program here.
I showed it to my 10 year old nephew and he loved it...
...which means you could cover a fairly broad range of ages.

I myself, have learnt a lot from this program.
I've also learnt what I'm NOT good at...which is equally important...
as film making requires a diverse range of skills.
But I particularly like the cameras and I think the use of virtual cameras
lies in a very progressive field...and if not, they are, at the very least
an excellent tool for teaching photography and direction.

MS could also teach teamwork.
I wonder, with a class, would you get everyone to design their own project?
Or would it be more prudent to divide the class into 'production groups'?
I think a class of 20 or so, all working together on a pre-written script
should be able to make a film in an hour or two...
but you'd need a good LAN - which I assume, poses some curly questions?

One must look to the future...in ten years time.
The machinima films coming out will be amazing...
...and available, to be made...by anyone with a computer.

The format barely counts...it's the story that matters...
and I think MS is a good tool to teach this.
Any class should relish the opportunity.

Hope this helps the teachers...'coz it's a difficult job.

Regards
James - RUN415
===============

#3 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3286 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:20 PM

What a well thought out response Run smile.gif

#4 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:23 PM

I see the use in schools in two ways, one to get kids interested in story telling and film making and the other for the teachers themselves to make instructional videos.

It depends upon the kids. Although my son professes an interest in becoming a game developer someday, he has not even tried Moviestorm yet. But that might be because he sees me doing this all day so it isn't that unusual to him.

I know that girls love Sims programs and boys love shoot em up, blowing things up games.

I can see an interest with kids, especially teens in being able to make their own music videos, play instruments, dance, sing. They would find that more exciting than turning a play or script into a movie.

Of course to really interest them you need children puppets and animals. Kids aren't interested in adult life, they are interested in their peers and childhood, fantasy.

#5 matt

matt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 956 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:26 PM

If any of you are actively involved in education, please say so!
Matt Kelland
Moviestorm Founder

#6 dpickett

dpickett

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 448 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:29 PM

Schools use is a great idea and there's loads of ways it could be used. It is great for no budget films which is what most film schools teach, maybe create an educational pack? CD copy of the program that kind of thing.
Composer, Producer
David Pickett

#7 luxaeternam

luxaeternam

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1053 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:35 PM

I teach English to foreign students (mostly French) in a French university and I'm considering using MovieStorm with them as a project from A to Z uses all the different competences.

My major problem at the moment is the fact that they'd all need accounts to be able to use it, and that as anything that is installed on the uni's machines has to be done by an administrator it might be complicated. The ideal situation would be a portable or thinstalled version.
"Les miroirs feraient bien de réfléchir un peu plus avant de renvoyer les images" : Jean Cocteau

#8 AngriBuddhist

AngriBuddhist

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2074 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:44 PM

I'm not a teacher but would have to say that it'd depend on the school. In most cases the best use would be "introduction to movie making principles in a relaxed and fun enviroment", however, I can also see MS being used as a vehicle for working on large scale group projects.

You could easily create a large scoped project and then, not only break apart responsibilities amongst a class, but also draw in many other classes.

Political Science/Management- Producers, organizers
Grammar- Script Writing
Photography- Asset research
Other Art- Asset Design/Modification
Drama- VoiceOvers
Computer Science- Asset Creation/Implementation
Film- Directors, Set builders, Cinematographers, Post Production
Math- Accountants?
Music- Music, sound effects and dialogue recording (if there is a digital class)

It'd be quite like the production of an original school play.

#9 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:57 PM

Only because I have teenagers in school, except that I am supposed to demo Moviestorm for the graphic arts class in their high school sometime this year. When and if I get around to doing that I will let you know how it goes and what the response is. So far the teens that my kids know aren't real interested in making movies. I think they think it is too much work.

#10 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:38 AM

I just thought of something else you should know about using programs like this in schools -- they would not allow any program that showed someone shooting another or any violence. Schools won't use the Sims games at school because of violence and of course with the Sims, intimate activity. At least the schools here in Kansas City won't. Also they would not allow props like guns.

The teachers would have to be able to disable any clothing that they think is inappropriate also.

#11 matt

matt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 956 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:20 AM

(lucindamc123)
I just thought of something else you should know about using programs like this in schools -- they would not allow any program that showed someone shooting another or any violence. Schools won't use the Sims games at school because of violence and of course with the Sims, intimate activity. At least the schools here in Kansas City won't. Also they would not allow props like guns.

The teachers would have to be able to disable any clothing that they think is inappropriate also.

That's a very good point, and worth starting a whole new thread about.
Matt Kelland
Moviestorm Founder

#12 Hirsches

Hirsches

Upcoming director

• Pioneers
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:00 PM

Moviestorm would be a great tool for pupils, when they have to do a special project which they have to present. For example, when they have to do a class project in history class, there are so many options to film historical events.
Coming soon: Jailhouse Revival (christian film) | Pilot's Tales (aviation adventure series) | Next Door Neighbours (sitcom series) | Country Patrol

#13 neut

neut

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 348 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:22 AM

I teach film studies and media, so I see machinima as a great tool for students to work with with regards to assignments.
Music technology is my main subject and one of the topics we cover is film music, so I'm hoping that some students will work on short clips so that the music students can concenttrate on ading the soundtracks and effects etc.

I am in the process of having Moviestorm installed so as to work on every machine in the school so as to give the oppertunity for every student to make a movie.

Its also my intention to start an after school club in the new year with moviestorm.

#14 bchtchr6

bchtchr6

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:05 PM

My students are sixth through eighth grade students and I am trying to introduce digital animation as a way of enhancing reading and writing. Many times a student reads a story and they learn the information to get through the test and then brain dump. (I know I am guilty of that in some of the classes I take). The story takes on a whole new meaning when you ask then to take the story and digitally animate one of the scenes, now they have to synthesis the story and manipulate the information. One of our classes has as required reading ?A Christmas Carol?. It is a fun assignment to have them take a scene out of that and animate it.

Reading comes into play because the students are required to use Audacity to record the dialog for their scene. Not only do they have to read, but they have to analyze the story to turn it into a simple script. When it is done, the students can all sit around and watch each other?s creations.

#15 czechboysonic

czechboysonic

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 319 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:01 AM

I'm not a teacher myself, but one application I could definitely envisage which hasn't been touched on yet is within drama. Not film-making, but stage drama.

Rather than working with 'live' actors, one could potentially get ones students to 'block out' a Shakespeare play (or whatever) using MS and some appropriate props and sets. Which feeds in nicely to some addon requests elsewhere within the forums smile.gif

On a similar tangent, I think MS has real potential to enable educators to get 'young people' interested in the 'classics' of theatre, in the same way ANY machinima has, if used correctly.

It hasn't really been explored much to date (I think ?), but MS and other machinima can potentially 'bridge the gap' by presenting 'classic canon' drama (Shakespeare, Harold Pinter, Samuel Beckett - to hark back to my own high school English class days) in a way that's instantly familiar to the 'gaming generation'. What better way to illustrate "Romeo and Juliet" for example, than if you had a machinima adaptation featuring Gordon Freeman and one of the Combine soldiers.

My 2 cents worth smile.gif

#16 cheddarbob619

cheddarbob619

Film Critic

• Pioneers
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:51 AM

I will use it in school smile.gif
as well as in my portfolios, it allows me to display my editing skills, without having to buy loads of expensive equipment.

I will continue to use it, for example, if I'm taking a film class, Moviestorm is a great way to pre-produce what you want the actual film to look like, camera angles and all!

It's just such an innovative tool that is always being updated and improved, I can't see me not using it!
"Black Cat" - Coming in 2009
OMFF 2009 Judge
Winner of the OMFF 2007 Best Film Award
-Chronicles of Bill and Bob
Shattered Glass Productions Team Leader

#17 luxaeternam

luxaeternam

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1053 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:47 PM

I'm about to launch my 3rd year physics and chemistry students (future teachers of physics and chemistry) on a 5 minute science documentary film project that they can produce in any software including, but not limited to, powerpoint, digital clip factory, and of course Moviestorm.
I thought I'd give them the extra carrot of being able to work in pairs if they use Moviestorm.

I've prepared a demo 'science news' film for them, which I'll upload if anyone is interested. I'll be doing a show and tell session with Moviestorm o show them how intuitive it is and hope that some of them take the bait...
"Les miroirs feraient bien de réfléchir un peu plus avant de renvoyer les images" : Jean Cocteau

#18 neut

neut

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 348 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

for those of you using Moviestorm in school, how are you managing to get it to work on your school systems?

#19 luxaeternam

luxaeternam

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1053 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:30 AM

My students will be using their home equipment for the simple reason that the machines we have in the languages department are too darn slow to be of much use!

#20 luxaeternam

luxaeternam

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1053 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:21 PM

Well, today was the first of two D-days, as I really wasn't sure whether I would scare the students off or not. I was worried that they might prefer the 'safety' of PowerPoint for a project like this.
I first showed them the short movie I'd prepared as a demo, and then gave them a quick demonstration of how Moviestorm works, pointing out just how intuitive it is.
When I asked them at the end who would be interested in using Moviestorm ALL of them raised their hands. So I've set up a chain e-mail in the group so that they can get some referral points to obtain packs, and with a bit of luck tomorrow's group will be equally enchanted.
biggrin.gif