• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:22 PM

I was looking at Reallusion's upcoming iClone5 and noticed a character that looked very familiar, I don't know if it means anything or not, are they saying their program is better, I have know idea you be the judge and tell me or have they stolen the little guy and are going to ransom him back to Moviestorm for a great deal of money so they can finish iclone5, what does it mean.

The character I refer to is just down a bit under the heading Natural Motion
http://www.reallusio...nce/default.asp

I must say some of their upcoming features do look interesting, but you probably need a bucket load of cash and a super computer to make it work.

Regards
Davidwww

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Moviestorm still Number One

#2 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:16 PM

The white figure? It means they have a vaguely similar looking character to one of our old ones.
Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#3 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:21 PM

I have both Iclone 4 Pro and Moviestorm and I spent a lot more money on Iclone than I did on Moviestorm and I prefer Moviestorm and now that i can create my own animated characters and props with Moviestorm, I hardly use Iclone at all. I probably will use a bit of it with Vautrin for overlays of things like buildings blowing up and that but other than that Vautrin is being made entirely with Moviestorm and will be on IMDB as soon as I get a trailer made. Iclone animations are not as smooth and graceful as Moviestorm ones and they don't have transition animations so your character goes from one animation to another kind of jerky looking. also Iclone is a memory hog and very slow even on my new really fast computer and I can't have as hi res props in Iclone as I can with Moviestorm without it closing down completely.

And we also have all the wonderful modders here on Moviestorm creating free or inexpensive props and animations for us as well as Chris making all the beautiful addons he is now creating for use with Moviestorm.

#4 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5410 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Aug 2 2011, 03:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Iclone animations are not as smooth and graceful as Moviestorm ones and they don't have transition animations so your character goes from one animation to another kind of jerky looking.

Apparently this is addressed in iClone 5 :-

"The motion graph system consists of hundreds of well-calculated, daily motions for top mocap quality. It automatically generates natural transitions between previously selected motions"

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#5 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:27 PM

If I am honest (sorry if I seem to be going off topic), Iclone 5 is showing some truly exciting features, physics, collision detection, kinect mocap (albeit I think you have to buy an extension program for that feature to work) and more. Also they have addressed an issue that really got on my nerves which was the floor not being treated as a solid object for puppets, it really annoyed me when animating and the puppets sunk into the floor, hopefully in 5 that problem is banished!

Don`t get me wrong, I still love and always will love moviestorm, but it`s always good to have something fresh which has alternative working methods, I still think their content prices are a rip off though huh.gif

#6 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (kv @ Aug 1 2011, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still think their content prices are a rip off though huh.gif

I think they are probably in keeping with the effort applied in their creation and the expected number of sales.

Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#7 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (Chris Ollis @ Aug 1 2011, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think they are probably in keeping with the effort applied in their creation and the expected number of sales.

I can see your point, but it does seem they have a large user base, sales of their content would be more attractive at lower prices which I think would result in more profits through more sales as opposed to fewer sales made at higher prices due to almost alienating those with a tighter budget. I know business never is that simple, but in the eyes of the consumer that`s how it makes more sense.

It is nice that they do have regular discount offers, but they mostly cover bundles which ends up being a bit steep to outright purchase in the offer period.

#8 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:38 AM

I'm aways excited by iclone updates...but Moviestorm winds up being so much easier to use..and a lot cheaper.
The main attraction for iclone is the rendering, but this is most likely the thing that slows it down as well.

Moviestorm feels more focused on animating characters easily...which is a big deal for story telling.

#9 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5410 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE (kkffoo @ Aug 2 2011, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm aways excited by iclone updates...but Moviestorm winds up being so much easier to use..and a lot cheaper.
The main attraction for iclone is the rendering, but this is most likely the thing that slows it down as well.

Moviestorm feels more focused on animating characters easily...which is a big deal for story telling.

Does iClone allow you the freedom that MS does re licensing and IP ownership?

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#10 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3288 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:29 PM

Yes.

#11 ArthurVKuhrmeier

ArthurVKuhrmeier

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 492 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:24 PM

Hi folks,

before I discovered Moviestorm I had a close look at iClone. And I must admit the new features like physics are really exciting. Something I wished for Moviestorm as well. Simply crash my car into a stack of boxes would be realllllllly cool... but...

I like the puppets of Moviestorm uncountable times better. So far I've never seen an iClone character that convinced me. They look stiff and more like wooden puppets. Why is a character called a character in a movie??? Because a character should have and show a character. And that is the strength of Moviestorm: the detailed faces and smooth animations. I'm producing a thriller and have different roles with completely different characters. An experienced detective, a candy-ass hero, a stern lieutenant etc. And it is so great to give them all unique faces and expressions.

So, I might wish for physics in Moviestorm. But still I believe it's better the staff works on more facial expressions, more animations. Because in the end that it is what tells the story.

Arthur smile.gif

#12 iceaxe

iceaxe

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1193 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Aug 1 2011, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have both Iclone 4 Pro and Moviestorm

Good for you.

and I spent a lot more money on Iclone than I did on Moviestorm and I prefer Moviestorm and now that i can create my own animated characters and props with Moviestorm, I hardly use Iclone at all.

Goodness, it's great that you can do all that stuff. It's like Moviestorm was made just for you!

I probably will use a bit of it with Vautrin for overlays of things like buildings blowing up and that but other than that Vautrin is being made entirely with Moviestorm and will be on IMDB as soon as I get a trailer made.

You've got an IMDB page?! That must drive up your hits a lot.

I've got iClone too. That's v4, not v2 of course. Nigh on impossible to use, but the UI is very serious looking. I always wanted MS to look like that, and a bit less toy-like. Anyway, I never paid for iClone... ;-)

#13 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (iceaxe @ Aug 2 2011, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good for you.

Goodness, it's great that you can do all that stuff. It's like Moviestorm was made just for you!

You've got an IMDB page?! That must drive up your hits a lot.

I've got iClone too. That's v4, not v2 of course. Nigh on impossible to use, but the UI is very serious looking. I always wanted MS to look like that, and a bit less toy-like. Anyway, I never paid for iClone... ;-)

Well I have always loved Moviestorm. It is just so much fun to use Also my props look better in Moviestorm because with Iclone 3d Exchange, although you can eliminate backfaces and make your props 2 sided, you really can't do anything about the shadows on props. I have been on IMDB for a long time. The first filmography I had on there was Wonder Boy. Now some other people I did animated previs or sequences for their movies are also on IMDB so I have those credits. I don't know whether it helps get our movies viewed or not to be on there but it is a good credit to have when you go after commercial jobs, although I don't usuallly apply for them, people just usually come to me for them. Good to see you back here. Are you still making movies?

#14 keithlawrence

keithlawrence

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1147 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:53 PM

biggrin.gif

#15 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:16 PM

The most intriguing thing I noticed on that page is the ability to use the Kinect motion sensor to control the animations.

I can't afford Iclone but I'm tempted to test drive it for that reason alone. It would certainly make animating in Iclone a simple thing if its as good as I suspect.

It may be worth saving up for.
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

#16 iceaxe

iceaxe

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1193 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (corthew @ Aug 2 2011, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I managed to get v4 for nothing smile.gif

#17 sfdex

sfdex

Master Director

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE (davidwww @ Aug 1 2011, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I must say some of their upcoming features do look interesting, but you probably need a bucket load of cash and a super computer to make it work.

A super computer running Windows. iClone (despite it's very Apple-esque name) does not run on Mac's OSX. Unless I'm missing something. (Sure, I could buy a Windows license and run that on my Mac, but part of why I use Mac is that I don't much like Windows....) When I first started looking for machinima software, Moviestorm was the only game in town that would run on a Mac.

It's been a while since I publicly reiterated my appreciation to the team for continuing to support us Mac users! So, thank you!

- Dex
MacBook Pro - Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.66 GHz - 4 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M/9600M GT - Snow Leopard (10.6.4)

#18 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (corthew @ Aug 2 2011, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The most intriguing thing I noticed on that page is the ability to use the Kinect motion sensor to control the animations.

I can't afford Iclone but I'm tempted to test drive it for that reason alone. It would certainly make animating in Iclone a simple thing if its as good as I suspect.

You need to note though that an additional software is required for the kinect mocap to work, it mentions it on the page.

I got Iclone 4 pro on a discount after I purchased a cheap Iclone 3pro from Ebay, made it worth it really.

#19 ArthurVKuhrmeier

ArthurVKuhrmeier

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 492 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (sfdex @ Aug 3 2011, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A super computer running Windows. iClone (despite it's very Apple-esque name) does not run on Mac's OSX. Unless I'm missing something. (Sure, I could buy a Windows license and run that on my Mac, but part of why I use Mac is that I don't much like Windows....) When I first started looking for machinima software, Moviestorm was the only game in town that would run on a Mac.

It's been a while since I publicly reiterated my appreciation to the team for continuing to support us Mac users! So, thank you!

- Dex

Hi Dex,

you hit the nail on the head. Why buy Mac if you want to run Windows? The thing is that Machinima comes from PC games and Mac never was a gaming computer. Mac is relying on the optimal combination of hard and soft ware. But Moviestorm is not a Mac-optimized software. My iMac (3 GHz, 2Duo) is pretty slow with Moviestorm.

I found an interesting app for Mac only: Sketchers Studio animates SketchUp models and offers a particle system. Export depends on screen size and is 30 fps fixed. But you can do cool things.
http://sketchersstud...m/en/index.html

So the question of iClone or Moviestorm is also a question of operating system. And I think iClone has to give Apple back the "i" it stole... laugh.gif

Arthur

#20 keithlawrence

keithlawrence

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1147 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (ArthurVKuhrmeier @ Aug 3 2011, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I found an interesting app for Mac only: Sketchers Studio animates SketchUp models and offers a particle system. Export depends on screen size and is 30 fps fixed. But you can do cool things.
http://sketchersstud...m/en/index.html

Since we┬┤re already so off topic;
Hi Arthur. How is ScetchersStudio? Can the animations be imported to MS?
How do you import your work? (do you have a hidden Windows behind you laugh.gif )