• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:28 PM

I've just started working on the upcoming mod 'Puppet Animations volume 02'.

So far it includes only a squatting animation for female and male characters, although I have some other ideas slated in my to-do list.

(video deleted. See post below)

I know there's already a crouch/duck sequence of postures in MS, althought not exactly what I needed for a project I'm working on, so this animation made a good first candidate to begin with.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#2 mloakley

mloakley

Director

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:02 AM

That looks very cool. Nice job, jamm! :)

#3 BrianGray

BrianGray

Director

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:40 AM

Hello JAM...

If they could be pointing at something on the ground while turning to talk to each other that would fit nicely in scenes for someone tracking, looking at foot prints, ect. I'll add the Footprint addon this week. 

Great work with the new Chair. I'll be in line to get it when it goes public. I can see it in a dark comedy about Dentists or high pressure AMWAY sales people.

Brian

#4 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:59 AM

Hi Brian.

If they could be pointing at something on the ground while turning to talk to each other that would fit nicely in scenes for someone tracking, looking at foot prints, ect. I'll add the Footprint addon this week.

In its current state, no part of the puppet is "locked", apart from the legs and torso, so you may use the "look at" and "point at" generic actions for that purpose. Of course, it's not guaranteed that pointing at some things will work properly, depending on its relative position to the puppet, and that a specific gesture for this posture would be the the solution.

What I can tell you for sure is that one of the things I have planned is a series of animation for one puppet assisting another one lying on the floor, assessing her general physical status, and acting upon her. So far I have only a general idea but have to work out the details.

I can see it in a dark comedy about Dentists or high pressure AMWAY sales people.

You don't love them, I guess. I met one of them in the past, but she didn't dare to bother me: I think the expression on my face was eloquent enough.

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

#5 mloakley

mloakley

Director

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:52 AM

Hello JAM...

Great work with the new Chair. I'll be in line to get it when it goes public. I can see it in a dark comedy about Dentists or high pressure AMWAY sales people.

Brian

A dark comedy about Dentists. LOL I had thought the same. :)

#6 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:01 PM

You might like to know that this new mod has been publicly released and is available from my shared folder (see signature below).

File name: jm_PuppetAnimations02_########.zip

Demo clip:

From the README file:

jm_PuppetAnimations02, by jamoram62
    LAST UPDATED: 2018/02/04

Puppet solo animations (postures and gestures)

CONTENTS
--------

Postures:
    + Both female and male:
        - Squatting (and stand up from squatting)
        - From Sitting down on floor:
            - Strech Legs Uncrossed, cross and uncross legs
            - Sitting on floor against wall with legs straighten, cross and uncross legs

Gestures:
        (none so far)

Also, please not that this mod is a work in progress and new puppet animations will be included in new releases to come.

#7 mloakley

mloakley

Director

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 07:14 PM

Nice work as always, Jamm. These are great animations and looking forward to new releases.

#8 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:47 PM

Not big deal this time. Added quick variants of the turn in place posture animations for both male and female, including:

• 15 degrees left & right
  • 30 degrees left & right (right only for female)
  • 45 degress left & right
  • 90 degress left & right, 2 speeds
  • 180 degrees, 2 speeds 

The reason for creating these variants is that the duration of posture animations, contrariwise to other character animations, can't be adjusted, and there will be times the stock turn animations might be a bit too slow. Actually, I think only the 90 and 180 degree quick variants (and maybe the 45 ones) may be of some interest.

All of them can be accessed as usual from the 'Postures -> Turn' menu.

A short demo movie:

PS: please note, in the demo clip no 30º quick variants are shown for the male character, although the 30º left quick exists; on the other hand, the stock 30º right is wrong (the character does not perfom a simple turn, but it moves a pair of steps forward also), so I thought there was no point in creating its quick variant.

#9 mloakley

mloakley

Director

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:16 PM

These "turns" are nice Jamm. More natural I think. Thanks again for creating and sharing these.

#10 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:28 AM

Anytime, M.

A minor update: a corrected 'Turn 30 right' posture animation, and its quick version, have been included within the release 20180228.

#11 mloakley

mloakley

Director

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:10 PM

Thanks, got the update.  :)

#12 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5345 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:41 PM

These are very elegantly done, thanks Jamoram ;)

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#13 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:04 PM

Thanks you both.

I'm currently on the verge of re-taking some unfinished work long time put aside (I think it's about time to get the bike for ladies done at once), as it seems I am in total lack of inspiration of late. Anyway, if you had any idea for some gesture you're missing or in need of and that could be included in this volume, I'd love to hear from you.

#14 mloakley

mloakley

Director

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:40 PM

Hey Jamm, Looking at my current story I'm doing, I do have a suggestion for a gesture(s). I have a scene where my detective is interrogating. Anyhow, she jumps up out of her chair, and then Leans in and sticks a finger in her suspects face. Perhaps one leaning in over (a table) to a suspect sitting and one that is standing sticking their finger in someones face ??? My detective is a female. Anyhow, I don't know if those are easy or hard to do. But is appreciated if you can. 

Thanks for the offer, Jamm. Your work is awesome.

~M

#15 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:03 PM

Hey Jamm, Looking at my current story I'm doing, I do have a suggestion for a gesture(s). I have a scene where my detective is interrogating. Anyhow, she jumps up out of her chair, and then Leans in and sticks a finger in her suspects face. Perhaps one leaning in over (a table) to a suspect sitting and one that is standing sticking their finger in someones face ??? My detective is a female. Anyhow, I don't know if those are easy or hard to do. But is appreciated if you can. 

Maybe something like this?

https://drive.google...S92-sg5FmTW4WaQ

#16 mloakley

mloakley

Director

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:49 PM

Yes! That's perfect! Very awesome, Jamm. :)

Also, One question, when the guy moves back which gesture is that? Thanks.

#17 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:55 PM

Thanks, M.

The gesture he performs is a 'Lean Right' animation, a stock animation, not specifically created for the SITTING pose. Take into account most of the gestures used to be created using the IDLE pose as a starting point and many of them don't work exactly the same with othe postures, if working at all. I've realized many stock gestures, when executed with the puppet in the SITTING pose, makes the character lean backwards.

If you take a look at the updated version of the demo clip, you'll see this 'Stand up and point at' posture animation (for it's a posture, not a gesture), can transition back to the SITTING pose or to the IDLE pose.

If you think it's ok as it is, I would include it in a new release of this animation volume. However the equivalent set of animations for male character would eventually be included as part of an upcoming realease.

#18 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:35 PM

Ok, it's now official:

New release of 'Puppet Animations, vol 02' (20180304) available for download for free.

Whats new:

Postures: 

+ Female only (as of this date):
        - From SITTING (on chair):  Stand up (jump up out of chair) and point at, and back to either SITTING or IDLE

Enjoy!

#19 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5345 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:50 PM

That looks great Jam, but I'm wondering if you could make another version with a slight variation of the pointing arm. I.e. elbow bent and low, wrist bent and rotated from the current position so the thumb and index finger are on top instead of to the left and pointing slightly upwards ?

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#20 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:59 PM

That looks great Jam, but I'm wondering if you could make another version with a slight variation of the pointing arm. I.e. elbow bent and low, wrist bent and rotated from the current position so the thumb and index finger are on top instead of to the left and pointing slightly upwards ?

That should be a piece of cake, once the hard part have been done (right foot one step forward, torso leaning forward and slightly rotated)  :)

The funny thing is that what it took me at least four iterations until I got a somehow convincing result was the pointing gesture itself  :lol: