193 replies to this topic

#61 luxaeternam

luxaeternam

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1053 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:41 AM

First things first :

I'm trying to work out the things that bug me in my day to day use of the software. First of all, it still needs improvements in terms of usabilty (or number of clicks necessary to get to where I want to be) I suggest the following :

(1) get rid of the initial screen with the featured movies (we can see those on the website) and replace them with thumbnails of saved movies to be loaded, plus an empty new movie.
(2) The settings button could perhaps be moved to the first splash screen where the start button is. Perhaps a keyboard shortcut could then make it accessible from anywhere.
(3) the new movie should automatically be a blank canvas. the new user tutorial should really only appear on the first run

Secondly, "a bone to pick" (see image) - if my arm looked like that I'd be straight to A&E.
Seems less visible in director's view.

Attached Files

"Les miroirs feraient bien de réfléchir un peu plus avant de renvoyer les images" : Jean Cocteau

#62 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE (luxaeternam @ Aug 13 2010, 07:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Secondly, "a bone to pick" (see image) - if my arm looked like that I'd be straight to A&E.
Seems less visible in director's view.

Hmm, UV error on the Jeans and T-Shirt by the looks of it, odd that its gone unnoticed so long
Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#63 Robear

Robear

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 309 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:15 AM

I haven't had much time to look this over yet (spent the better part of the evening dealing with all of the aforementioned installation quirks) but once it was installed and opened all of my movie scenes perfectly, I was jazzed! It even accepted my less than optimized mod creations with no complaints. Even more jazzed!

One feature I was looking forward to was the lighting update, so I have been playing with that and I am more than impressed. Thank you for this! I'll check out the rest of the new goodies over the weekend.

Great work, Moviestorm! Thanks for listening to the users and thanks for the updates. Simply awesome!

#64 mellowhardy

mellowhardy

Critically acclaimed

• Pioneers
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:32 AM

Oooh, loving the new dressing room. Absolutely fantastic.

But could somebody explain the tri-directional lighting system? In another life I was a lighting cameraman. But I cannot make sense of the new system.

The 'rim' light has me baffled. Rim light in DofP-land means a light placed behind somebody that accentuates their outline. In this, it seems to be another ambient light. Because when I turn it down it goes very dark.

Maybe a diagram would help. laugh.gif

#65 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:38 AM

I notice that the colour selector has affected Modders Workshop (or am I day dreaming?), anyway before when you selected a colour it shown a box around the colour indicating the colour you had selected......now it does not show a box. Infact the only indication you get that you have actually selected a colour is the change on the model, can we have the highlighter box back please?

#66 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:57 AM

laugh.gif
Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#67 daleh

daleh

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 810 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:29 AM

Great job guys, this is an awesome update and is gonna take many hours to get into fully. The new morph heads really do make a massive difference and I hope that in the not to distant future you add this kind of morph power to the bodies.

So far the only gripe I have is the character selection screen, where you still have that horrid scroll bar and millions of stock/custom characters to scroll through, though to be fair it does seem like you have reduced the number of stock characters, to find the one you need, it definately needs some kind of filter system, even if just to show customer chars under a seperate tab much like we get with customer sets.

Also, if you click the 'Cast List' button then the 'Add a Character' button you do get a fully re-sizeable window which can be sized to fill the entire screen and so make the character selection a bit easier, but if you just click on the 'Replace with a Character from stock' button you get a tiny window that cannot be sized and thus makes finding characters horrible.

Also I noticed there is only 2 skins for female asian, 1 young and 1 old, whereas for male there are 5 for each, is this just a case of the final asian skins will be added for the final release or is it a bug thats cuasing only 2 to show up..?

Anyway, dont wanna be too negative, other than those things everything else is really great... smile.gif

#68 skratchmasta

skratchmasta

Master Director

• Mods
  • 274 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for all the amazing feedback guys and gals, it makes it all worthwhile. smile.gif

Another question:
There are no "teeth" settings for the morphable heads as far as I can see.
If we want to use vampires, do we still have to use the old heads, or will there be a teeth variation feature for the new head(s), too?

There are no vampire teeth in the universal head as this would undermine the Dark Romance pack.

There is just one problem. The hair keeps disappearing. It's not my graphic card because it worked before in a movie I rendered and uploaded here. Here's a clip:

Yes this is a known problems with some of the weightings, but I believe Chris is aware of them and will fix them ASAP.

when in change room, And moving the camera to view another side of actor, I get dizzy and car sick.
mainly because the actor moves sides as the camera moves as well. a quick fix would just have the actor move or the camera, but not both.

Yes PapaG! We had a LOT of umming and ahhing about his one and its fair to say I for one wasn't overly thrilled with it. It still may get changed in the future depending on whether we can convince Dave that its not better than the previous functionality. So if anyone shares this opinion please, let us know as this will be the deciding factor.

also you have an Icon for "cast List" and in that window you have the "+1" Icon. Any chance you could add another icon to add only "Custom Made Actors" that we have saved?

Good Idea this is worth adding to the database as we are looking for something to divide the stock characters.

Or could we delete stock characters the same way we delete the ones we create? Stock characters are great for new users, but they just get in the way for me now.

If you wish to free your stock character list of excessive characters. Might I suggest going into your addons folder and opening specific addons then /stock. You could then delete the stock characters manually. Find the characters files that are named the same as the characters then just delete the folder. The Photostorm and Greetingstorm ones are particular culprits, but bare in mind if you delete the stock characters you will no longer be able to select them in the PS/GS program.

EDIT: OK, I see that there are indeed only 3 lights and that the Shadow "light" is simply to color the shadows. And.. I just saw that my shadows we're turned off in settings and so I am in fact an idiot. I guess then that

Front = Key Light
Rim = Fill Light
Rear = Back Light

Yes?

Correct

Also I noticed there is only 2 skins for female asian, 1 young and 1 old, whereas for male there are 5 for each, is this just a case of the final asian skins will be added for the final release or is it a bug thats cuasing only 2 to show up..?

No its not a bug and we are aware of this, we just didn't release them as the textures had flaws. They just need a touch up and we shall probably add them at a later date

Keep the feedback coming guys were loving it! smile.gif
Alex Gowland
Moviestorm Ltd.

#69 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE (skratchmasta @ Aug 13 2010, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are no vampire teeth in the universal head as this would undermine the Dark Romance pack.

Good point from the business point of view wink.gif
Thanks for your reply smile.gif

#70 Alutt

Alutt

Director

• Pioneers
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:13 AM

I also agree with the 2 suggestions of Papa G, these particular camera movements made me a little sick blink.gif and I also never use standard stock characters and suffer^^ to search my own children unsure.gif at the end of the queue.

Guys, bravo for these huge and super well done changes, good work, it deeply will increase the attractivity of the soft, the comfort and the creativity of all users. Especially the face morphers wich is so so great. All the other changes are very useful and practical (like the new color system), but I also think the new lightning system is a little bit complicated (especially for beginners). I did'nt notice other bugs so far (oh maybe it's because I'm focused on the face morpher, can't stoping playing with it^^). I just had a crash when trying to load one of my personnal stock character.

Some suggestions for the face morpher :
- I also vote for a little more moustache types (maybe something near the eyebrows menu and/or proportion)
- not sure you gonna keep the old heads for a long time but I noticed that for those male characters the beard and so menu is already completely missing, this is a serious limitation for their use huh.gif
- the color adjustement would be useful for EVERY option of the make-up and effects menus (for instance I don't like much the too pink scar effect on lots of skins and probably will not use it for this reason, if we could adjust the color it would multiply it's efficiency. In fact, I think it should be systematic on everything in the face morpher.

Anyway, again, THANK YOU SO MUCH for these fantastic changes ! You made us happy cool.gif.

I'll test further this we.

#71 daleh

daleh

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 810 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE (skratchmasta @ Aug 13 2010, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, while I can understand you not wanting to harm the sales of content packs, now that you have the new morphable heads maybe its time for a change in the approach you have to content packs...

For example:

Instead of DarK Romance adding unique vampire heads that have nice skins and eyes and the morphable teeth, but other than that no morph opotions, why not simply have it so that the vampire skins, eyes and morph teeth options are added to the new super heads

Thus only people who have purchased the Dark Romance pack would have those extra features on the heads, same could be done for the criminals heads, adding the skins from those.

While I appreciate it may be difficult and time consuming to 'reverse engineer' existing packs for the future I hope its something you will be doing.

I for one always thought that having stuff in content packs such as:

Extra Skins
Extra Eyes
Extra Tattos
Extra Makeup and Effects
Extra Accessories
Additional Morhp Options
etc etc

would always sell packs better than having 4 new stock characters that are actually not a lot different than any of the other stock chars you already have, other than variations of costume, hair and the minor morph features of the old heads.

With the new heads you now have the option to sell additional head features...

#72 gitsch

gitsch

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:41 AM

Looks good. Minor instalation hassle but worth it all when was able to keep all 1.3 stuff, and easily complete workflow to do a first clip in 1.4 just touching on some new features. Will continue to explore.

#73 Darth Angelus

Darth Angelus

Upcoming director

• Pioneers
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:38 PM

I've noticed the eye glitch is happening with the old heads as well now.

#74 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:12 PM

Wanted to let you know how I was doing with trying to make custom faces in Moviestorm based on my Iclone characters. It is going quite well and will do for distance shots which is fine since Moviestorm has much better large motor group animations (smoother) than Iclone. Next time I do a movie, I will start with Moviestorm for character creation as i can easily create faces in Iclone (by using photographs of my Moviestorm faces) from my Moviestorm custom faces. The only reason I am using custom faces in this movie is because that is the looks that Richard wanted for his characters. He had ideas about how each one of them should look.

I don't have time to start over with The Man from Schenectady otherwise I would start the whole thing over again in Moviestorm and just use IClone for those animations, that Moviestorm doesn't have. But definitely Vautrin will have the majority of the scenes made in Moviestorm.

The program is working perfectly on my computer but Moviestorm and usually all graphics programs work fantastic on my computer. I think I have a magic computer or something as it is just a 3 year old Dell Inspirion with huge hard drives and a great graphics card.

#75 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:13 PM

Sorry mistakenly double posted the same thing.

#76 alonzo11208

alonzo11208

Master Director

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:29 PM

I love the new features now! I havent found any bugs yet and Im still workin on something else, so I'll give a more detailed review later.

In the meantime, I was able to make myself an MS character with elf ears! biggrin.gif

Attached File  Untitled.jpg   107.98KB   14 downloads

Just have to work on a few bits....but otherwise I look good animated biggrin.gif
Shadows of Fire
Shadows of Fire Encyclopedia

Creater of Shadows of Fire

#77 scripter

scripter

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:59 PM

Hi,

I'm having a huge problem with mine. As soon as I load the changing room, I get a pale blue screen which freezes everthing. I've taken a screenshot and have attached it to this message so you can see my problem.

I've had to restart my system 4 times now and the problem's still there. I'm going to do a system restore to put it back to it's original state. I'm using windows 7 with a very good graphics card.

Any advice is great!

Dean (scripter)

QUOTE (johnnie @ Aug 12 2010, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you've downloaded the early access release of Moviestorm 1.4, we want to hear your comments. Praise and criticism are equally welcome here - we want to know what you liked and what you didn't like. You should also use this thread to report any bugs you encounter.

If you'd like to try Moviestorm version 1.4 before its official release, click here for details of the Early Access build.

Attached Files

Master Mind

#78 skratchmasta

skratchmasta

Master Director

• Mods
  • 274 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:22 PM

I do have a bug I found with the new heads (at least two that I created). It seems on the two characters the left eye comes out past the lids in the corners, and bulges more extremely when the eye blinks. The girl only had the eye issue when the animation was playing (the guy was caressing her face). His eye was like it the entire time, and his left eye was smaller the whole time too (or his right was bigger, however you want to look at it). Her eyes were symmetrical the whole time (except when the bug occured).

Attention everyone with strange eye problems! smile.gif
This is an old problem we had with Basebeta2 and male/female performance. So try disabling Basebeta2 in the settings panel and see if it makes a difference. Then the latter if you so wish. Hopefully that will avoid any more eyes popping out. blink.gif smile.gif

Regards,
Alex
Alex Gowland
Moviestorm Ltd.

#79 skratchmasta

skratchmasta

Master Director

• Mods
  • 274 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (scripter @ Aug 13 2010, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

I'm having a huge problem with mine. As soon as I load the changing room, I get a pale blue screen which freezes everthing. I've taken a screenshot and have attached it to this message so you can see my problem.

I've had to restart my system 4 times now and the problem's still there. I'm going to do a system restore to put it back to it's original state. I'm using windows 7 with a very good graphics card.

Any advice is great!

Dean (scripter)

Are your drivers up to date? if you have a relatively new computer then you may need to update them as the ones provided on disk are almost always the oldest versions. If you post your DXDiag.txt we can look for you.
dxdiag.txt
WinXP: Start->Run, then type dxdiag
Vista, Win7: Start, then type dxdiag in the search
Once DirectX Diagnostics has started, click 'Save all Information' and save out the dxdiag.txt

Otherwise heres some links for you:

Nvidia GPU
http://www.nvidia.co...ge/drivers.html
ATI GPU
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.HTML
INTEL GPU
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/
Alex Gowland
Moviestorm Ltd.

#80 davidwww

davidwww

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1881 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:53 PM

Well what can I say after waiting 3 years for morphable faces, there is only one thing I can say Absolutely bloody fantastic job, you guys have really out done yourselves, you just didn't make the faces morph you added scars and tears and customable makeup, I am very impressed. Well Done!

Regards
David

A few things:
1) I have to agree with the turning in the dressing room, make it the camera or the person that moves but not both

2) My characters eyes seem to be fixed and staring, I have changed the blink rate etc and they still just stare

Moviestorm still Number One