• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:45 PM

1st, let me say I really like this software, this list may seem to be criticism but it's positive feedback.

Problems
1. Facial expressions have glitches when voice is applied.
2. Default 'small moves' animation contains too many 'nose picking' gestures
3. "Punch Up' timeline doesn't move in time with main timeline, currently it remains in place. Placing timed movements is difficult as a result.
4. Interaction gestures cause a lot of 'shuffling' in which actors attempt to get into position, instead create a 'zone' around other potential interaction items/puppets - either with an overlay they can enable/disable, or during placement of the puppet, so that the user knows they're close enough etc to interact.
5. Target camera keyframes get messed up when I apply dialog to the actor.
6. Hard to differentiate objects within the timeline, very hard to find keyframes for both puppets and cameras, in order to edit them.
7. I still can't figure out how to remove facial hair.

Wishlist
1. More default & customizable facial expressions, especially 'eye brow' animations that play out by default, and by user choice. More specifically, the face should have 'small moves' in the same way that the arms do, influenced, of course, by the chosen default mood.
2. Special effects, action props, blood emitters.
3. Vehicular animations for flying vehicles as well as driven ones; rideable horses.
4. A much bigger wardrobe, and the ability to put logos on hats, shirts, etc, just by typing & choosing a layout/typeface.
5. More choices of output options - 30 fps, 800x600 as well as 16:9 aspect ratios, in various physical dimensions.
6 Look at camera capability (already done by Twak)
7. Make it easy to rotate a character after they've been placed, often I want my POV to remain where it is, but I have to change it in order to get the puppet I'm placing to face the way i want. if there's an other way, it should be more obvious.
EDIT Okay, I'll shut up now, sorry... I really do like this program, that's why I'm spending so much time using it...

#2 Tyrannus007

Tyrannus007

Film Critic

• Pioneers
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:24 PM

You remove facial hair by clicking on it again. You can also do the same for hair and accessories.

#3 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:06 AM

Picking their nose!!! I don't have that but mine scratch their butts. Very annoying. With the getting into position right now all you can do is edit out that part in post production and shoot carefully so that you don't have any other characters doing something during that sliver of time that you want to have seen.

I am real moderate with using any small gestures animations.

#4 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:58 AM

Thanks for the info.
Lol, yes, mine scratch their butts too much too, but I must admit I've been playing with the 'epressiveness' and 'melodrama' scrollers. Up till now I've been deleting characters with unwanted facial hair...!

It would be nice if you could click on the image backdrop, #1 or 2, and specify whether it gets affected by the Moviestorm set lighting.

#5 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9177 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:00 PM

(bongoman)
Thanks for the info.
Lol, yes, mine scratch their butts too much too, but I must admit I've been playing with the 'epressiveness' and 'melodrama' scrollers. Up till now I've been deleting characters with unwanted facial hair...!

It would be nice if you could click on the image backdrop, #1 or 2, and specify whether it gets affected by the Moviestorm set lighting.

You can in a way by changing the lighting on the color change bar or the backdrop. It is not real satisfactory though because it grays everything out more than just darkening the colors. However, I have put my different images into Adobe and changed the contrast and brightness so I can put them on different locations on the set and still have them look like other backdrops that are more lighted by ambient light. It really is easy because you can just switch back between Adobe and the program without shutting down either.

#6 bongoman

bongoman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 767 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:53 PM

Thanks Lucindamc123, that's a good idea. My system specs fall a bit below what's recommended for Moviestorm - though I must admit I haven't tried running more than Moviestorm at one time, so I'll give it a try; I hope in the long run they'll implement the unlit suggestion, however, from this moddder's POV, it might not be difficult for them, as many 3d program implementations can include surface property options.