• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Daneel

Daneel

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:31 PM

Hey guys. I have to ask, in all seriousness, have I come on board a dead platform? I'm really enjoying making my little movies using MS but it seems like there's no devs on board. No one behind the scenes developing new content and iterations. Am I wrong in thinking this? Because MS could definitely benefit from some ease of use improvements, new content, puppets, props etc but it seems the last update was 2012 or something? (could be wrong there). Can anyone shed some light?

#2 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:22 PM

Some threads I think you may like to read through:

Moviestorm 1.7.1, Courtyards and Metropolis little worried about the future of Moviestorm,  especially this post by the MS staff What is the future of MS?

So you're not alone here and I wonder about the same. IMHO Moviestorm, in spite of all its well known limitations, is a terrific tool for telling stories, that's what I'm mostly interested in, but the case is I care much less about stunning visuals. So much I'm convinced of this that I began to learn the intrincacies of modding for creating new contents for the benefit of its community, myself included.

Being completely honest, though, I don't expect any new version will be released and I know that, sooner or later, will switch to other platform.

But in the end, the decission is up to you.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#3 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5224 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:38 AM

I agree with Jamoram. It isn't dead - I'm about to finish another movie that I have been working on for months -  but it isn't going anywhere fast.

I think you have to make the most of what functionality is available at the moment and let the future take care of itself. Like many, I have dabbled in Muvizu (also a failing platform) and iClone (thriving but expensive) but neither has the ease of use of Moviestorm for simply telling stories. 

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#4 Daneel

Daneel

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

@Jamoram I wrote another thread about making my own hair and apparently I can, so, carrying on from that, is it possible then to make my own custom animations for the puppets from 3ds Max? Also, is there a way in which I can make models in Max and import them into MS like I can with Sketchup?

@primaveranz I've looked at iClone myself and I agree, it really is quite expensive. Also very complicated to use it seems.

#5 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

@Jamoram I wrote another thread about making my own hair and apparently I can, so, carrying on from that, is it possible then to make my own custom animations for the puppets from 3ds Max? Also, is there a way in which I can make models in Max and import them into MS like I can with Sketchup?

Of course, you can. In Moviestorm there are these classes of animations, according to the subject (and object) of the same:

1. Puppet solo animations, ie, those involving exclusively a character, with no interaction at all with other character or prop. There are two subclasses:

1.1. "Postures", in Moviestorm parlance: are those that can involve (and usually do) a transformation (ie, translation or rotation) of the character's root bone. Take into account that Moviestorm will ignore any transformation of the root bone unless any transformation is applied to any bone of the lower limbs of the character in any frame of the animation.

1.2. "Gestures": are animations that don't involve any transformation of the root bone and devised to blend with other animations.

2. Prop solo animations: involving an asset other than a character with no interaction with any other. They can be also flagged as "autoanimated", so they animation will start as soon the prop or object is placed on the set.

3. Held props: are those involving a character that "magically produces" a prop, which can be animated and apparently handled by the puppet in a series of ways. These props have their own skeleton, separated from the character's, though Moviestorm keeps the relation of the root bones of both skeleton, so the prop remains bound to the charater thoughout all its lifetime. Examples: cellphone, weapons, guitars, and the most amazing ever: the handheld fire extinguisher by Nahton (http://www.moviestor...e +extinguisher)

4) Interactive props: those animations involving a character which interacts with a prop, pre-existing and independent from the former, such as playable piano, music keyboards, etc.

5) Interaction between characters: probably the most complex category of animation to get done right.

Now about the procedure to create your animations, you'll need the Moviestorm puppets and the Cal3D exporter plugin for 3DS Max I referred to in the thread about creating hairstyles. There is at least a couple of tutorial videos about creating character gestures and held props at http://www.moviestor...anced_modding_1, plus another one at http://www.moviestor...anced_modding_2

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#6 EugeneE

EugeneE

Master Director

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:08 AM

While Moviestorm and the forums aren't as active as they used to be, Moviestorm can still be used for making movies. It's not a dead platform if you can still use the program,. I have both Moviestorm and Iclone 5.5.1 standard, I got Iclone 5 standard for free a few years ago thru a promotion. I think that the fear is that whlle Reallusion updates Iclone a lot, Moviestorm updates have fallen behind.

Iclone has a thriving forum, fanbase, modding platform, etc but it's quite expensive. Where as Moviestorm has it, once you buy Moviestorm, it's yours to keep and use. Iclone charges you to upgrade to a new version. So, if you buy the current version Iclone 6 and Iclone 7 is coming in near future, you have to pay to upgrade from ver 6 to 7. Also, the 3D import, 3Dexchange is a separate program which you have to pay for and it follow the Iclone upgrade standard.. And the add-ons are quite expensive also,

Iclone is a lot more advanced than Moviestorm with many features that Moviestorm doesn't have but it also has a very high learning curve also.

Moviestorm, while not advanced like Iclone, is much more easier to create movies in. It's easier to use than Iclone. But the limitations might turn off a few people.

Also, some people have started in Moviestorm then moved onto Iclone. For example, seasons 1-3 of the webseries, Chronicles Of Humanity were created in Moviestorm. Season 4 was created in Iclone.

Also, there is a switch to 4k, Iclone 6 and above supports 4K, not sure if Moviestorm does.

#7 headrushindi

headrushindi

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:12 AM

I fell in Love with Moviestorm  a few years back and  invested in every add on available /  I have made a few very Low Budget (feature lenght films with  live actors) here in North Carolina , and was interested in making a fully animated Horror film ...I was hoping that Moviestorm would update its  tech , and  software..but Unfortunately I  saw the blogs stagnate , and all but for a handful of  dedicated fans the  activity has abated.  The  software itself it woefully stuck in the last decade as far as  animation quality.  Dont get me wrong  I LOVE the genius  of the system ..It is BY FAR  superior to any other system out there when it comes to User friendlyness .But I felt like I was part of a slowly sinking ship so  I turned to IClone...i have spent the last year studying IClone , and have  created my full lenght feature film using that software ... I have the film nesarly completed .but It wasnt my first choice..IClone is  buggy...cumbersome and illogically  designed...It creates great , HD lifelike animations  so long as your system can handle the  immense resource burden, and rendering . And the learning Curve is  long and arduous.  I would love to see Moviestorm step into the current decade with  higher quality avatars, and  updated resources..However I have been watching for  nearly a year and a half now wishing .......and have seen  NO Movement ....no information posted by the  developers... just a slow descent into  obscurity ....If there has been no news by now..then chances are  this wonderful, usefull concept   is DEAD...the developers are probably eeking in enough  cash from the  wanderers who happen upon the site , and spend  on the software and all of the  extras...but it is probably just enough to "keep the lights on" so to speak . Once it reaches a certain loss point  ...the Lights Will Go Out !   Its such a shame  because the concept and overall  design are FAR Superior  to ICLONE,  Im saddened...I will keep  Moviestorm on my system untill I see its Tombstone   ....Or untill someone swoops in and  rescues  this great  system from its  apparent  doom 

Head Rush Independent Films