• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 915 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:23 PM

That's right, don't be like me. Don't put all kinds of time creating sets to use for your videos and then just pack them away and maybe never even use them again yourself. I always download my characters but my sets? Well, I'm not so good at that. In fact I recently had to restore a back-up of Moviestorm to my new PC and when I went to look for a set to use in a new movie I couldn't find it. That was because I never saved it to stock. That meant I had to load the old movie and just to save it to stock. I actually have a number of sets that I need to retrieve that way. 

Truthfully, one of tasks I find the most painful in the movie-making process is searching for, creating from addon pack content or modding content to make sets. I've recently started exploring other video production engines and one in particular has a community that has been very proactive in sharing their sets. I shudder to think the inventory of sets we'd have if Moviestorm users had employed the same mindset since it's inception. 

I'm going to provide 2 methods for sharing a set. For both methods you should take this preliminary step:

From inside Moviestorm take the following steps. In the movie with the set in it go to the Set Workshop window. Click on "Load and Save Stock" and Export this set to stock. Save and exit out of the movie. 

Method 1 - Share a set by sharing a movie

• From  the Main Screen click on "New Movie" > Empty Movie > and click on the check mark.
  • On the next screen scroll down to "My Sets" click on it, and then click the set you want to share, then click on the check mark. 
  • The movie will launch with your set as the only asset. Save your movie using an appropriate set name. (Add your studio or username if you wish)
  • (Optional) Take a screenshot of the set. 
  • Click on Script Editor> Click on the Share tab at the bottom>Select the "Find the save folder for this movie" option. 
  • That will launch an explorer window where you can zip the folder and take note of the location for uploading and/or attaching to a post in this thread.
  • Save and close the movie.
  • Attach the movie to a forum thread or file sharing website.

The user that downloads the shared movie should take the following steps.

• Download the shared movie.
  • Make sure they have all the addons required to use it.  
  • Launch Moviestorm
  • On the launch screen select install a file>Shared Movie>Navigate to the movie you downloaded>Open
  • The movie should launch with the share movie.
  • Save the set to stock and you'll have it for future use in the "My Sets" view when launching Moviestorm.   

I would also suggest when you are using the share option and it displays the sets that are needed you include it in the thread post or copy it into the shared movie folder before zipping. It might also be nice to provide a screenshot or a reference point in any videos you have where the set can be seen. Just think, that way you actually get another way to promote your movie! 

I just packaged a movie consisting of nothing but the set by selecting share the movie without the option to include and share the addons needed as well and the size was 103kb. That's clearly small enough to attach to a forum post. I will be sharing it in a follow-up post but I'd suggest you also upload or provide a link to an alternate back-up location as well.

Method #2 - Share jsut the set from the "Stock" folder

After taking the preliminary step above take these steps:

• Using Explorer Navigate to the "Stock" folder 
  • Find the folder with the name of the set.
  • Zip the set folder and post to a forum or file sharing site. 

The user that downloads the set should take the following step.

• Unzip the file into their corresponding "Stock" folder (Usually this location: C:\Users\username\Moviestorm\Stock)
  • The movie should now be saved to stock for future use in the "My Sets" view when launching Moviestorm. 

If the movie-makers that still frequented these forums could just share one set a week all the Moviestorm children would have a place to call home

Oh yeah, there aren't any children in Moviestorm. Still if you should share them if you've got them.

#2 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 915 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:35 PM

The Rust Bar

This is a set I built for Santa Banter. The name was given due to the color scheme. If you have all the addons in the screenshot below you will be able to use it. Feel free to reconfigure or whatever else you want to do. You might want to knock down a wall and put in a bathroom or you are going to have some mighty angry drunks on your hand. It is for interior filming only.

The name link above is to my dropbox share. The zip file is attached to this post as well.

This is a shared movie with just the set in it. To use it take the following steps: 

• Launch Moviestorm
  • On the launch screen select install a file>Shared Movie>Navigate to the movie you downloaded>Open

See the first post in this thread for more detail. 

Attached File  The Rust Bar.zip   102.2KB   4 downloads

Attached File  The Rust Bar - Required Addon's.png   8.88KB   1 downloadsAttached File  Rust Bar Interior.png   1.53MB   1 downloads

#3 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

This is such a great and, at the same time so obvious, idea that it's wonder why it has not been pushed before. 

Fellows in the Muvizu's community (think you were referring to them) have been sharing their creations on a regular basis for the benefit of everyone; so it has been the case of The Movies community over the last 10+ years and they're still actively churning out new productions every day, a good deal of years after The Movies was officially pronounced dead. For some reason, I've seen only a few instances of set sharing here (an island set, IIRC), but maybe I'm wrong.

So I'll try to make my contribution to this initiative.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#4 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5215 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:53 PM

I "cheat" so much with the camera, that most most of my sets are just fragments (if it ain't in the shot it doesn't exist) or have things floating in mid air ..I'm not sure they would be much use to anyone else but I will have a dig around....;)

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#5 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:23 PM

My first contribution: a doctor's office from my now shelved project 'El don' ('The gift').

Attached File  El-Don---003_Main-Camera.jpg   106.48KB   0 downloadsAttached File  poster.jpg   23.6KB   0 downloads

Content packs required: 
	Moviestorm (ShortFuze):
		Base01 
		Bedroom Blog 
		BonusContent 
		Coffee Shop 
		Core 
		Domestic Drama 
		Lounges 
		Foliage 
		Garden Features 
		Happy Holidays 
		Town Buildings 
		US Election 2008		

Custom (by jamoram62):
		jm_DrCarterOffice

A zip archive with the set can be downloaded from: https://drive.google...enJYV2k2bUxRLU0

Also included in the archive, you'll find the addon file required to get this working.

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

#6 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3266 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:09 AM

http://www.sharecg.c...-For-Moviestorm

http://www.sharecg.c...-for-Moviestorm

http://www.sharecg.c...storm-Stock-Set

I must have known how to do this at some  point, as I uploaded these stock sets to cgshare. Not sure if these made it into brian's big pile o' mods?

#7 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:34 PM

I must have known how to do this at some  point, as I uploaded these stock sets to cgshare. Not sure if these made it into brian's big pile o' mods?

Incredibly, he has published not a single addon by you. Yet.

If only he had your much wanted Grunge Pack :(  (http://www.moviestor...=9343&hl=grunge)

#8 BrianGray

BrianGray

Director

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:39 PM

I thought I felt my name being spoken...

Hi JAM, and welcome back kkffoo. If I have your permission I'll add these when I upload new ones this weekend.

Brian

P.S. kkffoo is possible to get the "Grunge Pack" still?

#9 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3266 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:22 PM

I've just downloaded your pack Brian, it's such a good idea.
You can have anything you can find, check my profile on cgshare (from link above). Grunge pack was originally donationware, but if previous purchasers don't mind I'm happy for that to be included also. However, I think I lost the original file share account.
If anyone who has it doesn't mind sharing then I'm OK also.

#10 BrianGray

BrianGray

Director

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:17 PM

Hello kkffoo...

Thanks for permission to share your work. I will try to find that "Grunge Pack". Maybe having your permission someone will send a link so I can add it to the master collection. I do have a few of yours that I will put up this weekend. Again Thank You.

Hello JAM...

you have been a very Busy Beaver of late. Great work my friend. I have a couple of sets that I will share.

Brian

#11 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:51 PM

Hi, Brian. Glad to see you in the neighborhood, friend.

You've become sort of a reference and the semi-official curator of the Moviestorm's heritage!

"Hi dudes! Could some kind sould give me a link for the DOD Gonkulator Ringmod pedal by MadModder? I need it badly for an idea I'm developing"

"Go to Brian's, man. You should know it by now"