• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:22 AM

Most of the work done for the male puppet.

Still in the to-do list:

- Ancillary static props

- Female animations

Polishing animations was a hell of a work. Inverse Kinematics functionality in Fragmotion, though limited, is heaven-sent. Too bad, it doesn't work too well with the bones related to the twisting of arms and forearms, so a thorough revision of the animations is required before proceeding with the next in the sequence. Too bad, I missed the adverb and had to re-export all the animations twice :(

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#22 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 928 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:28 PM

Most of the work done for the male puppet.

Still in the to-do list:

- Ancillary static props

- Female animations

Polishing animations was a hell of a work. Inverse Kinematics functionality in Fragmotion, though limited, is heaven-sent. Too bad, it doesn't work too well with the bones related to the twisting of arms and forearms, so a thorough revision of the animations is required before proceeding with the next in the sequence. Too bad, I missed the adverb and had to re-export all the animations twice :(

Hi Jam - One of my last discoveries when working with Fragmo was that you could eliminate some of the twist bone issues in IK by linking the arm bones as follows using animation links:

Link the the twist bone sharing the same location as the elbow bone (L Forearm>L Fore Twist) with the "Copy" setting.

Here's the Fragmo forum thread post:

Fragmo Thread

And here's my dormant Cubby link of a Fragmo file example (FYI  -  LogMeIn is going to delete this soon but I figured I'd use it since it's still active)

Cubby File

(Edit: I highlighted the Right Forearm link in the screenshot but you get the idea. The Left Forearm is the control bone and the left forearm twist is the linked bone.)

Attached Files

#23 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:13 PM

Hi Jam - One of my last discoveries when working with Fragmo was that you could eliminate some of the twist bone issues in IK by linking the arm bones as follows using animation links:

Link the the twist bone sharing the same location as the elbow bone (L Forearm>L Fore Twist) with the "Copy" setting.

Here's the Fragmo forum thread post:

Fragmo Thread

And here's my dormant Cubby link of a Fragmo file example (FYI  -  LogMeIn is going to delete this soon but I figured I'd use it since it's still active)

Cubby File

(Edit: I highlighted the Right Forearm link in the screenshot but you get the idea. The Left Forearm is the control bone and the left forearm twist is the linked bone.)

Great, John! I remember I've took a look at this thread when beginning to work with Fragmo, but back then I couldn't imagine how inconvenient could be this arrangement of the twist bones. IIRC I didn't realize this feature (animation linking) is only available in the Schema view so failed to follow the instructions there and lost interest, but, as I've said before, then this was not a major issue to worry about.

When working with Forward Kinematics what I use to do is selecting both the main bone and the twist bone associated, and to apply the transformation to both; most, if not 100% of the time it works like a charm. But with IK, which is far more convenient for limb animation, I was plagued by this inconvenience.

Now, what's really annoying is that the problem derived from a rogue twist bone is not always apparent. I mean, I became aware of this problem when I have just finished to create every planned riding animation; so I created a new movie with the full sequence of animations. When the left shoulder of the puppet unexpectedly became so utterly distorted, I was first surprised and then aghast. So I have to re-check, correct and re-export (first to Milkshape, then to Cal3D) every riding animation. And I was surprised one more time when, once finished all that bothering work, I re-watched the demo clip I uploaded to Moviestorm and no such a defect was apparent!

So thanks a lot for such an useful contribution!

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

#24 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 928 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:14 PM

IRC I didn't realize this feature (animation linking) is only available in the Schema view so failed to follow the instructions there and lost interest, but, as I've said before, then this was not a major issue to worry about.

Jesús - I just wanted to make sure you knew that you can get the animation links window to display by selecting "Edit Animation Links" from the tools menu.

#25 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:16 AM

Jesús - I just wanted to make sure you knew that you can get the animation links window to display by selecting "Edit Animation Links" from the tools menu.

Ah, yes. Thank you again, man. I missed it one more time: ageing is taking its toll on my cognitive capabilites, it seems.

Regarding the bike addon, I think I'll make it available once I get the ancillary static props ready, for the full set of animations for the female puppet will take a tad bit more than I'd like -work surge in real life, I'm afraid- and they'd rather be included as part of a later release.

#26 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5370 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:29 AM

Ah, yes. Thank you again, man. I missed it one more time: ageing is taking its toll on my cognitive capabilites, it seems.

Regarding the bike addon, I think I'll make it available once I get the ancillary static props ready, for the full set of animations for the female puppet will take a tad bit more than I'd like -work surge in real life, I'm afraid- and they'd rather be included as part of a later release.

I'm already looking forward to the Unicycle and Tandem variants and the "pump up tyre" and "falling off" animations! :P

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#27 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:40 AM

I'm already looking forward to the Unicycle and Tandem variants and the "pump up tyre" and "falling off" animations! :P

Sorry, not in the project roadmap. Though the model files will be publicly available, so if anybody volunteers, who knows?

#28 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:55 AM

Finally, the first version of the addon has been released and is available for free at my shared folder (https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM).

Also, an "official" demo clip has been uploaded.

Hopefully, a new version, including animations for female puppets, will follow soon.

#29 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5370 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:46 AM

This is easily as good as official Moviestorm packs used to be. MS should have you on a retainer Jamoram ;)

Excellent!

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#30 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3286 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:48 PM

Just playing with my new bike. :)  This is great, thanks so much!

#31 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:32 PM

Anytime. Hope you'll enjoy the ride :)

#32 thetruedjz

thetruedjz

Novice director

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:26 PM

Just wanted to share some pics of one of my boys enjoying your great new addon and the reaction it was getting. Keep up the good work!

Attached Files

#33 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:33 AM

Just wanted to share some pics of one of my boys enjoying your great new addon and the reaction it was getting. Keep up the good work!

:D Cool! Not the model of bike designed with this kind of user in mind (some adaptation required for the seat) but will do the trick. Thank you for the feedback!

#34 Daneel

Daneel

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:36 PM

Fantastic job! This is a great addition. Riding round on it now :)

#35 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:05 AM

Thank you for your encouraging words.

You may like to know the next item in my to-do list is implementing the animations for female actors.

I started working on that some months ago, but then back I left it aside, as I needed to do something else for a change. Anyway, it's something I do really want to get done, as I've been feeling uneasy all this time with what I consider an unfinished work.