• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sapphire

Sapphire

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:02 AM

I'm just " blue-skying" here - and I am NOT a programmer, but I have always been impressed with the huge range of Poser models , props and costumes.

Has anyone given any thought to inporting Poser files... personally I don;t even know if it's possible - just thought I'd ask.....

#2 Spong3y

Spong3y

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 493 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:51 AM

Actually, with the absence of the Modder's Workshop we are not able to import 3D models from any 3D modeling software. Guess we'll just have to wait until MW arrives.
[witty signature pending]

#3 equinoxx

equinoxx

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 916 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:15 AM

Pretty much all Poser content is comprised of standard Wavefront .obj models, and one user here, nb99, is developing an app that will convert .obj models (among other formats) to the Collada format that Moviestorm uses. It works pretty well (so far) on static props. Characters and clothing, however, have complex skeletal rigs for animation, which isn't supported (not yet, at least).

The real issue, however, is that most Poser content features highly detailed surface geometry, which results in very high polygon counts on the models, and seriously bogs down a system, to the point that it can take many minutes -- or even hours -- to render a single frame of an animation. Moviestorm aims to be more of a real-time system (although very complex scenes can result in a slow framerate, it's on the order of seconds per frame, not minutes or hours).
David "equinoxx" Anderson
http://www.veoh.com/...els/equinoxxent

#4 moogaloonie

moogaloonie

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:24 AM

I spent a few years learning the tricks of making Poser content, so yeah, I'd like to be able to use it in MovieStorm. I know many people think machinima should be real time, but a few seconds a frame is fine by me. Computers will only get faster, as evidenced by the simplicity of content designed for earlier versions of Poser (I'm thinking 4 specifically). Perhaps there would be a way to read a character, gather its height and rigging info and then use a proxy figure for setting up and previewing. Then the real character could be substituted when the movie is to be made. I don't think this is cheating too much, as I just can't wait for the day that I'm doing more GPU rendering than software rendering. I just wonder which program will do it right first (of the 4 or 5 I have in mind)...

#5 emorris2u

emorris2u

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:19 PM

Do you think moviestrom would develop tts , instead of doing your own vocies

#6 moogaloonie

moogaloonie

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:05 AM

(emorris2u)

I'm not sure I understand the question...

#7 Spong3y

Spong3y

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 493 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:23 AM

(emorris2u)

Not quite. Moviestorm does not quite need an internal Text to speech software. There are many freeware TTS programs in there that supports both the default Microsoft voices and natural AT&T voices.

BTW, there are many willing voice overs of machinima over at the internet, you can ask here (like me, there are many users here in Moviestorm that would be willing to voice over for your film, just ask), ask at a voice acting forum like The Voice Acting Alliance, or maybe ask some people at Mainland of Machinima, although pro VAs from M.com usually only support big projects.

Sims99.com can also be a place to find some voice overs, however, you know the Sims 2 community, sometimes you have to voice over for them in order to make them voice over for you.

(moogaloonie)
I spent a few years learning the tricks of making Poser content, so yeah, I'd like to be able to use it in MovieStorm. I know many people think machinima should be real time, but a few seconds a frame is fine by me. Computers will only get faster, as evidenced by the simplicity of content designed for earlier versions of Poser (I'm thinking 4 specifically). Perhaps there would be a way to read a character, gather its height and rigging info and then use a proxy figure for setting up and previewing. Then the real character could be substituted when the movie is to be made. I don't think this is cheating too much, as I just can't wait for the day that I'm doing more GPU rendering than software rendering. I just wonder which program will do it right first (of the 4 or 5 I have in mind)...

You can try chroma-keying or greenscreening Poser video and graphics into Moviestorm. Saves time and efficiency than doing it all in Moviestorm itself. I tend to do everything in post-production instead. Frame by frame rendering is fine by me. When Pixar makes their animated films, it takes them long to make a minute of rendered video even with a powerhouse of networked PCs rendering them.
[witty signature pending]

#8 emorris2u

emorris2u

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:27 AM

Thanks for the feed back, I am working on a project , I am still trying to figer out how to make the character walk from point 1 to 2 then 3 and making the camera move. But thank you.

#9 RAGolko

RAGolko

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:11 PM

If you pick up the latest 3D World magazine there is an article in there inteviewing DAZ's chief director. They will be releasing, free of charge, a DAZ model to whatever format you want (Collada will be included I do believe) plug in for the free DAZ Studio so that ANY modules in DAZ studio can be exported in the format you want for use in game packages, other 3d packages and yes, even Movie Storm. They didn't include a timeline but I' thinking it will be sooner rather than later. This will open up the entire world of DAZ and Poser 3d models.

Cool eh?

Anybody got a low res drum set converted to Collada for Moviestorm yet?

#10 steelblade

steelblade

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 728 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:42 PM

(moogaloonie)
(emorris2u)

I'm not sure I understand the question...

TTS I think is Text to Speech as he uses it.

And I haven't heard of anything here to suggest it's being worked on.

Considering making our own movies is the point of MS, I suspect that few if any here will use a TTS function. There are already tools out there (I think that there are some free ones, but don't qoute me) that do this, and one can use those audio files in your movies. I recall a James Bond spoof on TMO doing this, and The Movies doesn't have TTS either.

#11 Trinity

Trinity

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 618 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:49 AM

scroll on this page

http://www.moviestor.../list/1972.page

for relevant discussion with regard to importing such materials.
Writer / Producer / Director

DIGIPENDENCE.com - my blog about 3D moviemaking, machinima, animation, cinematic design, sequential art, graphic novels, web comix, fan films, and independent film, video & photo production.

#12 MrGreen980

MrGreen980

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:28 AM

hi i know this thread is kind of old, but had anybody thought of using an old 3d modelling and animation app called truespace it has a function that can reduce the polygon count in model/s that can then be imported to MS, I known about this app for years but just recently found it again. As a visual artist this is truly a fun app that has potential.

#13 mloakley

mloakley

Critically acclaimed

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:02 PM

hi i know this thread is kind of old, but had anybody thought of using an old 3d modelling and animation app called truespace it has a function that can reduce the polygon count in model/s that can then be imported to MS, I known about this app for years but just recently found it again. As a visual artist this is truly a fun app that has potential.

Hello MrGreen,

Nice to meet you. I hadn't heard of this and TY for sharing this info. Will check out this Truespace.

Have a great day.

~M

#14 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5373 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:53 AM

It needs to export a file in Cal3d format in order for it to be imported into MS. I suspect it doesn't have this ability though.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"