Photo

Remake of 1939's movie The Wizard of Oz.

movie idea show wicked

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mikecowell

Mikecowell

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:48 AM

Recently i heard about a theatre show "Wicked" in West End London. Then i search for and booked tickets online. After watching the show i was just thinking that isn't there any movie on this story. On further researched i have found that there was a film named "The Wizard of Oz" on this story in 1939. Its remake would be a great idea. What you say guys? Any suggestions?

#2 thetruedjz

thetruedjz

Novice director

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:46 PM

L. Frank Baum's book, "The Wizard of Oz" was published in 1900. The 1939 musical film was not the first adaptation of Baum's Oz books, but it was the most well known and successful work. "Wicked" is musical adapted from a 1995 novel of the same name. It's an alternative telling of the Baum story from the point of view of the Wicked Witch.

#3 Harb40

Harb40

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 673 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:21 AM

The original Wizard of Oz was a silent film made in 1910.  The next version came out in 1925 and had Oliver Hardy (of Laurel and Hardy fame [that came later]).  Both of them were based on the original story by Frank Baum but are very different than the 1939 film everyone knows starring Judy Garland.  Buddy Ebsen was scheduled to play the Tinman in the 1939 film but had a reaction to the makeup so he had to decline.

The Harb40 Passion Competition now has it's own website.

#4 EugeneE

EugeneE

Master Director

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:52 AM

There was a Canadian animated version of Wizard Of Oz that was released in 1933.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0024779/