56 replies to this topic

#21 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5321 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (Nahton @ Jul 10 2010, 05:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For some reason in this attempt I had trouble selecting all the lines in the body.

When you clicked on the "Select" button did you have the "Group" button selected and the "Ignore backfaces" switched Off and then use a click and drag select? I found that if you didn't do that it was easy to miss bits. Or if you went into the Groups tab and clicked on each group one at a time then clicked on "Select", I found it worked OK.
My animation didn't work correctly first time either so I just opened the project up again and put in 4 keyframes with the prop rotated 90 degress each time, then exported the animation (with a new name just in case) and chose that name as the default in MW. That fixed it. I'm guessing that you have to have more than just two keyframes so the software knows in which direction you want to rotate. Also I wonder if the two end frames should actually be exactly 360 degrees different? Maybe the last one should be slighty short of the full circle, otherwise two frames will have the prop in the same position.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#22 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 924 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Jul 9 2010, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When you clicked on the "Select" button did you have the "Group" button selected and the "Ignore backfaces" switched Off and then use a click and drag select?

Prima,

The directions say to use "Face" rather then "Group":
"Select the Face option and turn OFF Ignore Backfaces."

I'll try your method next. I'm also wondering if I have a Video Card issue as I'm seeing some quirky stuff in this function.

#23 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5321 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:39 PM

Yes sorry you are right I meant to write "Face" however I have been working on another model and have been using "Group" and that seems to work for me.

#24 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5321 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:44 PM

One other thing I have found tricky is the fact that you have to "weld" all the touching vertices together when you use the method of building one side of a symmetrical model then copying and flipping it.
However if you remember to "Hide" the groups you are not actually working on it does get a little easier.

#25 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:09 AM

Fix for possible mapping issues here when trying to make video screens:
http://www.moviestor...p...ic=8968&hl=

I will try and do a new tutorial showing how to bring this weird TVTree in to Moviestorm when I get a few more free minutes.

P.S. it was made entirely in Milkshape
Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#26 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:30 PM

HERE IS ANOTHER AMAZING MILKSHAPE TUTORIAL!

This time I give you a quick run through on building a simple object (a cube) from scratch, assigning 6 different materials and getting it in to Moviestorm.

Excuse any errors, I haven't checked it
laugh.gif

PDF and accompanying files attached, the Milkshape file is basically the finished state for reference.

Attached Files

Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#27 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5321 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:55 PM

Thanks Chris, will try a.s.a.p.

I must admit I am almost hoping this doesn't work for me which will mean there is something wrong with my set up and not that I didn't do something I should have wink.gif

#28 Overman

Overman

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 562 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:51 PM

Totally awesome, I can't wait to dig into this! Thank you, Chris!
Phil "Overman" Rice
Zarathustra Studios - http://z-studios.com
You can connect with us On Twitter, On Facebook, On YouTube, and On Vimeo.

#29 daleh

daleh

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 810 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

This looks interesting, is there any way with Milkshape to crate 'Accessory' items..?

#30 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (daleh @ Jul 14 2010, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This looks interesting, is there any way with Milkshape to crate 'Accessory' items..?

No idea, you could try creating bones with the same names as parts of the actors, skinning objects to it and seeing if you can make it work. I haven't got the time to do such tests as it could take some time finding the workflow.
Chris Ollis

#31 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:06 PM

I finally got round to following your tutorial Chris and got a very good result.

Oddly though I am having less luck with any of my own models though, including basic ones unsure.gif

#32 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5321 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (kv @ Sep 1 2010, 05:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I finally got round to following your tutorial Chris and got a very good result.

Oddly though I am having less luck with any of my own models though, including basic ones unsure.gif

What problems are you having kv? I have probably had them too and may have found an answer.

#33 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Aug 31 2010, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What problems are you having kv? I have probably had them too and may have found an answer.

Well I imported a .3ds format sketchup model that I made, it`s only a very simple model but when it imported into milkshake even though the textures show in material they do not on the model.

Also when I try to add bones in the same way as in this tutorial rather than getting a tidy bone display I end up with a mess that just does not work (see image in next post) blink.gif

#34 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:04 PM

#35 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5321 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (kv @ Sep 1 2010, 08:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I imported a .3ds format sketchup model that I made, it`s only a very simple model but when it imported into milkshake even though the textures show in material they do not on the model.

Also when I try to add bones in the same way as in this tutorial rather than getting a tidy bone display I end up with a mess that just does not work (see image in next post) blink.gif

1). You have to assign a material to each group. In the Groups tab does each group have the material name next to it? If so, make sure you have chosen the "Textured" view in whatever window you are using (right click on window for option). If it still doesn't show, the model may have lost the link to the true material location so go to the "Materials" tab and click on the Material name button (next to the top "None" button) then navigate to the material in your folder and it should reappear on the sphere and in the window.

2). Not sure what is happening here but see in the 3D view? I think the light green lines are your "Bones". The Triangle and "circle" are guides for when you want to move them. I normally only see those when I select a joint and click "Move" or "Rotate" and those shapes have the "joint" at their centre.

<EDIT> Yup I'm fairly sure the red "circle" has the currently selected joint at its centre.</EDIT>

#36 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1631 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:38 PM

I think the problem you've got with the bones is that your model is really tiny and the bones are really huge. Try scaling the model up a load or changing the scene scale.
Chris Ollis

#37 rampa

rampa

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1220 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:33 AM

QUOTE (kv @ Aug 31 2010, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You need to weld the vertices. smile.gif Select each mesh and find the "weld" menu item. I think plain weld is better than nearest or whatever its called in the same menu. This got me for a long time also. Milkshape often needs to re-weld vertices. Meshes often need welding upon import.

#38 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5321 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:12 AM

QUOTE (rampa @ Sep 1 2010, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Milkshape often needs to re-weld vertices. Meshes often need welding upon import.

Yes it is infuriating at times, even without importing.
E.g. Create a new box, select a corner vertex and open Manual Edit. It will show there are actually 3 vertices, one for each face.
Is this normal behaviour for 3d Modelling programs?

#39 chatnoirstudios

chatnoirstudios

Director

• Pioneers
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:09 AM

Wow! Haven't tried it yet, but this is totally cool!

Chat Noir Studios online: Blog, Facebook, Twitter

#40 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5321 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:20 AM

QUOTE (chatnoirstudios @ Sep 8 2010, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow! Haven't tried it yet, but this is totally cool!

It is pretty wonderful - when you are not tearing your hair out laugh.gif