• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Daneel

Daneel

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:44 PM

Hey all. Is there tried and true way to connect things to the nav mesh for moving them about? At the moment I'm having to make multiple attempts at putting my object eaither near/on/in/close to the mesh and just trusting to luck. It usually takes a good few tries before it will 'stick'.

#2 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:00 PM

Those props you're trying to place on a nav mesh are by chance props you've created/imported? If so and if they're going to move around independently of any other prop, I'd suggest you checking its Mobile attribute in the Modder's Workshop. This way you won't need anymore to place it on a navmesh.

If not, the only reliable way I know to place anything on a navmesh is placing first the navmesh and then the prop, though usually I have no problems to make it work the other way around.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#3 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5214 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:08 PM

I always place the navmesh a little but above the ground first then place the prop on top of it.
That way there is no risk the prop will attach itself to the floor while appearing to be attached to the navmesh.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#4 Daneel

Daneel

Upcoming director

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:10 PM

If not, the only reliable way I know to place anything on a navmesh is placing first the navmesh and then the prop, though usually I have no problems to make it work the other way around.

So, then, placing the navmesh first forces the prop to then become it's child in the heirarchy? Like if you put a primitive in the scene then add another primitive near to it, the second primitive becomes a child of the first?

#5 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5214 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:12 PM

The other trick with a navmesh is to know that they have a "leading edge". If that is not facing the direction you want to move in then the mesh will turn until it does.
That may cause unwanted movement of your prop.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#6 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:19 PM

The other trick with a navmesh is to know that they have a "leading edge". If that is not facing the direction you want to move in then the mesh will turn until it does.
That may cause unwanted movement of your prop.

Yeah, I always fail to remember this darn little detail!

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM