34 replies to this topic

#1 Affective

Affective

Film Critic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:50 AM

Hi

Please can you help me? Moviestorm is continually crashing. It was doing it with the trial so I thought by upgrading to the full licence I might avoid that happening. However at first I was getting only minutes of use before it died again on me. This morning I can’t get it to open up anything even from any of the backups. It goes through the choice process then dies straight away. It’s really frustrating as I can’t get anything done. I haven’t actually succeeded in accomplishing anything since my initial download of the trial. I'm now 3 weeks behind on my project. I emailed Moviestorm support but have had nothing at all from them. Really disappointing serrvice! Can anyone out there help me? I'd be very grateful indeed

I’ve attached some system information if it’s of any help togeteher with a screenshot of what I see.

Warmest Regards

Dave Laing

Attached Files

#2 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5202 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:59 AM

You don't appear to have a dedicated Graphics card or HD graphics as required in the system specs here:- http://www.moviestor...cs/requirements

Is that correct? You will need to get one to use Moviestorm I am afraid.

Minimum specifications

Microsoft Windows 2000

A PC with 1.5GHz processor

1GB of RAM

5GB of available hard disk space

A 32-bit colour display, capable of 1024×768 pixels resolution

A broadband internet connection 1

A dedicated 3D-capable graphics card (NVidia GeForce FX 5200 or better / ATi Radeon 9600 or better) 2

Or Intel HD graphics (on Core i3 or newer) - requires updated graphics drivers downloaded from the Intel driver website.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#3 Affective

Affective

Film Critic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:12 AM

Hi

Thanks so much for responding!. I have a Geforce GTX1050 2GB GDDR5 card.

Apparently this should be more than enough.

Movie storm was working for a very shorrt while prior to the continual crashing.

Many thanks

Dave

#4 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:03 AM

Are you running Moviestorm on a Windows Vista or later?

If so, please open a new instance of Windows Explorer. In the address bar, enter '%UserProfile%\Moviestorm' and press Enter. You should be now in a folder 'C:\Users\your_user_account\Moviestorm'

There are a few audit files of interest here:

- Log.txt

- hardware-report.html

- hardware-.report-summary.html

Copy these files to another temporary location.

Now go to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Moviestorm'. You may find a number a files named in the form: 'hs_err_pid####.log', where #### is a numeric value.

Locate the last of them and copy to the location you copied the other.

Pack all of them in an archive (zip/rar/7z) and please attach it to a post. We'll try to see what's breaking and can figure out the reason.

EDIT: in case of a Windows XP, the actual folders can differ from those specified above, ie, 'C:\Documents and Settings\your_user_account\Moviestorm' or something like that for the user's data folder and 'C:\Program Files\Moviestorm' for the latter.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#5 Affective

Affective

Film Critic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:27 PM

Hi

Many thanks indeed jamoram62 for the last message. I've attached the zip file as requested.

Warmest regards

Dave

Attached Files

#6 Affective

Affective

Film Critic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:28 PM

Forgot to add. It's Windows 10 Pro

#7 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:20 PM

Just one thing: the problem you described appeared during the session the log.txt file was generated?

There's nothing really wrong in the log.text: the graphics card is correctly identified and seems like you've got a quite recent driver (378.78). You loaded a movie including some music stuff (bass guitar, drums, microphone, etc), switched to Director's view  and that's all. Not a single error here.

About the hs error file, it doesn't match to the same session. It states an access violation has raised an exception when executing code inside the Opengl32.dll, invoked when executing some component painting code in Moviestorm, but hard to say without an in-depth knowledge of its inner workings:

Stack: [0x30610000,0x30660000],  sp=0x3065e454,  free space=313k
Native frames: (J=compiled Java code, j=interpreted, Vv=VM code, C=native code)
C  [OPENGL32.dll+0x64295]
C  [OPENGL32.dll+0x64e23]
C  [OPENGL32.dll+0x65056]
C  [OPENGL32.dll+0x8d4c0]
C  [OPENGL32.dll+0x1e1f5]
C  [OPENGL32.dll+0x1b86f]
C  [jogl.dll+0x4cca]
j  com.sun.opengl.impl.GLImpl.glGenTextures1(ILjava/lang/Object;I)V+0
j  com.sun.opengl.impl.GLImpl.glGenTextures(I[II)V+64
j  fuze3d.xgl.XGLBase.glGenTextures(I[II)V+7

Java frames: (J=compiled Java code, j=interpreted, Vv=VM code)
j  com.sun.opengl.impl.GLImpl.glGenTextures1(ILjava/lang/Object;I)V+0
j  com.sun.opengl.impl.GLImpl.glGenTextures(I[II)V+64
j  fuze3d.xgl.XGLBase.glGenTextures(I[II)V+7
J  agile2d.opengl.Texture.create()V
j  agile2d.opengl.Texture.loadPixels(Ljava/awt/image/BufferedImage;Ljava/awt/Rectangle;)V+225
j  agile2d.opengl.ImageManager.findTexture(Ljava/awt/Image;Ljava/awt/Rectangle;ZZ)Lagile2d/opengl/Texture;+331
J  agile2d.opengl.AGLGraphics2D.drawImage(Ljava/awt/Image;IIIIIIIILjava/awt/Color;Ljava/awt/image/ImageObserver;)Z
j  agile2d.opengl.AGLGraphics2D.drawImage(Ljava/awt/Image;IILjava/awt/image/ImageObserver;)Z+37
j  mscope.ui.util.HackedAgile2DGraphics.drawImage(Ljava/awt/Image;IILjava/awt/image/ImageObserver;)Z+11
j  mscope.ui.timeline.TubeTrackUI.paint(Ljava/awt/Graphics;Ljavax/swing/JComponent;)V+489
J  javax.swing.plaf.ComponentUI.update(Ljava/awt/Graphics;Ljavax/swing/JComponent;)V
J  javax.swing.JComponent.paintComponent(Ljava/awt/Graphics;)V
j  javax.swing.JComponent.paint(Ljava/awt/Graphics;)V+290
J  javax.swing.JComponent.paintChildren(Ljava/awt/Graphics;)V
j  javax.swing.JComponent.paint(Ljava/awt/Graphics;)V+322
j  mscope.ui.timeline.TubeLine.paintChildren(Ljava/awt/Graphics;)V+68

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

#8 Affective

Affective

Film Critic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:32 PM

Hi jamoram62

I don't really understand what any of this means!. The problem happens everytime. I just tried it again a few minutes ago and opened up a new movie. It seemed to play with me but within less than a minute it crashed again.

What do you suggest? I've loaded up the log.txt again in case its different as a result.

Many thanks again for your help

Attached Files

• Attached File  LOG.txt   22.08KB   4 downloads

#9 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:39 PM

Again not a single hint about what's wrong in the last log.txt you've posted.

I take for granted Moviestorm is using your nVidia card (for it reports so) and you have made no changes in the nVidia control panel, so you're running using the default 3D configuration settings for the application.

Have you tried to tweak the graphics settings in the application (you know: Main menu -> Settings -> Graphics tab)?

You can try to go somehow "simpler", for example, unchecking the use of shaders or, more specifically, disabling the hardware skinning or the depth of field.

Maybe PrimaveraNZ could come along with some suggestions, as he has far more experience than me in this respect.

#10 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5202 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:27 PM

Does it work if you create a new movie and select "safe addons only "(under "addons" /"settings" in the opening menu)? 

#11 Affective

Affective

Film Critic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:12 PM

Hi primaveranz

As soon as I clicked on 'select safe addons' it crashed!

Not much fun this is it?

Warmest Regards
Dave

#12 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

As soon as I clicked on 'select safe addons' it crashed!

Weird!  I'd hate to ask you to reinstall, being sure to execute the installer with elevated privileges. 

So before taking such a drastic decision, if you dare we're going to try something new:

1) Open an instance of the Windows Explorer and go to/create a temporary folder.

2) Open a new Windows Explorer and again go to the Moviestorm user data folder (you know: '%UserProfile%\Moviestorm').

There you'll find:

- a folder named .cache  (with a leading period/dot)

- a file named machinimascope.properties

Select both items and move them to the temporary folder you opened/created in 1)

3) Launch Moviestorm. It will ask for your credentials, as they are saved in a file in the .cache file (user.xmls)

4) Tell us about the result.

In case we're out of luck, you may restore the previously saved assets from the temporary folder, deleting those created by Moviestorm when launched, or just use these.

#13 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5202 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:32 PM

I just hope this isn't an early indication that MS is not compatible with Windows 10...
I just emailed MS to try and get them involved.

#14 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:43 PM

I just hope this isn't an early indication that MS is not compatible with Windows 10...

It DOES run on Windows 10. However, I have to check if the massive Anniversary Update has managed to break anything.

UPDATE: it does run also on a Windows 10 system with the Anniversary Update applied.

EDIT: I have checked it only on 64 bit systems. Dave's is a 32 bit version. I think it won't make any difference in this case, though.

#15 Affective

Affective

Film Critic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:43 PM

Thanks very much! I'm in a Hotel tonight so i'll give your suggestions a go when I'm home tomorrow and report back. Thanks for sticking with me.Its very much appreciated!

#16 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:01 AM

In the system spec you posted, it says you have a Microsoft Basic Display Adapter  which is your Nvidia graphics card. This means that windows is using a very generic display driver, and it is not working well with Moviestorm.

I would suggest going to the nvidia driver website: http://www.nvidia.co...load/index.aspx

and downloading and installing the latest drivers for your graphics card.

Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#17 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:25 AM

A rather common occurrence after upgrading to Windows 10.

Interestingly Moviestorm apparently identifies and reports a very recent version of the nVidia driver (378.78) (!?):

OpenGL version: NVIDIA Corporation GeForce GTX 1050/PCIe/SSE2 4.5.0 NVIDIA 378.78

BTW, what's stated in the report generated by DxDiag?

#18 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5202 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:25 AM

Ben, do you still have to tell the PC to use the graphics card rather than the onboard graphics for Moviestorm? Or is Win 10 "smart" enough to realise that?

#19 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:46 PM

Or is Win 10 "smart" enough to realise that?

Ask Cortana and you'll see by yourself how smart it is.

#20 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5202 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:17 PM

Ask Cortana and you'll see by yourself how smart it is.

There's no hope for us really is there...? ;)