#21 Affective

Affective

Film Critic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:33 PM

Hi all

jamoram62 I did what you suggested -
1) Open an instance of the Windows Explorer and go to/create a temporary folder.

2) Open a new Windows Explorer and again go to the Moviestorm user data folder (you know: '%UserProfile%\Moviestorm').
There you'll find:
- a folder named .cache  (with a leading period/dot)
- a file named machinimascope.properties

I've used Moviestorm for about half an hour and its behaved perfectly! I really hope it carries on doing so. I'm so grateful to you jamoram62 and everyone else who has
offered help. Thanks very much indeed!

Warmest Regards
Dave

#22 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:51 PM

So glad to know. Hope we've fixed such a nasty problem.

Please keep us informed in any case, Dave, for the benefit of the community.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#23 Affective

Affective

Film Critic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:14 PM

Hi all

Well Moviestorm been working great for a couple of hours today and now it's messing about again! Runs for a few seconds then dies on me. Sometimes I get a Java error and sometimes it just dies with no error message at all.

Isn't it frustrating!

Warmest Regards
Dave

#24 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:30 PM

Ok. It looks like the corruption of the cache is a symptom of something else, so deleting it again would be only a temporary fix at best.

Would you mind to run the command "dxdiag", then save the diagnostic information it gathers to a file (there must be an option, something like 'Save info', not sure, for I'm running the Spanish version) and attach it to a post?

Also, what java error messages are displayed?

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

#25 Affective

Affective

Film Critic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:37 PM

Hi jamoram62

Thanks for responding DX diag attached. To be honest the Java message just says an 'error has occurred' which doesn't help at all!

Many thanks

Dave

Attached Files

#26 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:42 PM

Ok, thank you, Dave.

Need to check some details.

I wonder if it's somehow related to having configured DirectX 12 by default? Though MS uses OpenGL, I'm wondering.

#27 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

Well, apparently nothing's wrong with your graphics hardware.

So unless anybody else comes with a better idea, a "diagnosis ex juvantibus" approach may be worth trying (hey, it worked for Dr. House! Well, sorta)

So maybe it's time to tweak a bit the graphic settings in Moviestorm. I'd try first disabling the option "Use shaders" temporarily. If not luck yet, try deleting/moving the cache folder again.

If MS works in a stable fashion with shaders disabled, then go enabling it and disabling every suboption ("use shadows", "hardware skinning", "depth of field"), and finally enabling one of them at a time.

#28 Affective

Affective

Film Critic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:20 PM

Hi jamoram62

I tried disabling in the settings as you suggested. It crashed very quickly. I managed to get a screenshot of what I saw as it crashed. Please see attached.

Many thanks
Dave

Attached Files

#29 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:52 AM

Hi jamoram62

I tried disabling in the settings as you suggested. It crashed very quickly. I managed to get a screenshot of what I saw as it crashed. Please see attached.

That's bad. And the message is a generic useless one just telling you something has gone really bad and the application (in this case, the Java runtime) will be shut down.

If the system information still reports you have a "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter", as Ben pointed out, I think you should try to solve any hardware issue with your graphics card, despite what both dxdiag and Moviestorm say. That discrepancy is puzzling at best, because, according to Microsoft, dxdiag is the tool to use to check your graphics configuration (https://support.micr...r-on-windows-10).  BTW, what application/tool was used to generate your system info text file?

#30 Affective

Affective

Film Critic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:41 AM

Hi jamoram62

I've put in request for a call from Microsoft to see if they can help. They are calling me around 11am today so it will be interesting to see if that sorts it.

I ran msinfo32 to get my system info.txt.

I'll keep you posted after the call.

Many thanks

Dave

#31 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:42 PM

Hi, Dave

Not a word from Microsoft yet?

#32 Affective

Affective

Film Critic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

Hi jamoram62
The techy from Microsoft tried for over an hour and a half on Friday night to sort the problem in between crashes. She has now passed it to a supervisor who will be
calling me this evening. I never expected the problem to be this complicated!

I'll keep you posted after this evening's call.

Warmest Regards
Dave

#33 Affective

Affective

Film Critic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:26 PM

Hi jamoram62

Well after a lot of mucking about over the past couple of evenings with installing and reinstalling etc Microsoft have determined the problem must be seperate from Windows but cannot tell me what the solution is. I'm beginning to suspect it may be a hardware fault, perhaps my motherboard, memory or processor. However, would that cause the Java error to appear??

Do you think It's worth upgrading or am I throwing money away needlessly? Its so hard to know!

I've run a number of diagnostic type programs but all say everything is fine and then my PC subsequently crashes  .

Warmest Regards

Dave

#34 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:09 PM

Sorry to know you haven't fixed any possible hardware issue with your machine.
Just to be sure about what you've done these days... Have you reinstalled/updated the drivers for your graphic card, and in spite of that msinfo32 keeps reporting a Microsoft Basic Display Adapter?

Also, the system info reports your motherboard is a Gygabyte P35-S3 hosting a Intel Core Quad Q6600. That seems a mighty old configuration to me. In contrast your graphic card is a GTX 1050, a relatively new piece of hardware. Are you sure your graphics card is fully supported/compatible with your motherboard?  Do you have any graphics issues/glitches with other games or applications which make heavy use of 3D features?

I'm asking this because some months ago I had to replace an old but reliable GeForce 8800 GT in my daughter's desktop with a much newer low-mid range card and I've been having all classes of issues and system crashes on a more or less regular basis, just because, although apparently the driver and everything else is updated, the graphics card is not fully compatible with the oldish motherboard.

#35 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5202 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:48 PM

Yes I was confused by the 32 bit / Windows 10 combination, I would upgrade.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"