• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 charityfilm

charityfilm

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:35 PM

With great thanks to a simple to follow tutorial from Lense OnLife on Sketchup files in Moviestorm, we no longer need the help initially need.

[https://www.youtube....h?v=M2S3cFQ_kA0]

We have discovered another issue however after importing Sketchup models into Moviestorm following the video tutorial, whereas adding some models to the Set Workshop View, will make other existing models vanish. Has anyone encountered this issue?

Also, is there any way to reduce the filesize of some imported 3D models without losing too much of their original aesthetic?

Does adding tintable features to some of the models imported into Moddings Workshop drastically increase file sizes?

#2 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:45 AM

Maybe the poly count in the original model is too high, or there are some defects in its mesh that are hindering or overtaxing the rendering engine.  Hard to say without access to the model used to create the mod.

If the original model was downloaded from Sketchup 3D Warehouse or another public repository, and you don't mind providing us with a link, we may take a look at it.

ars longa vita brevis - Hippocrates (attributed)

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

Shared addons & stuff for Moviestorm: https://drive.google...aTNsSFBuN0sxZHM

#3 charityfilm

charityfilm

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:02 AM

Maybe the poly count in the original model is too high, or there are some defects in its mesh that are hindering or overtaxing the rendering engine.  Hard to say without access to the model used to create the mod.

If the original model was downloaded from Sketchup 3D Warehouse or another public repository, and you don't mind providing us with a link, we may take a look at it.

Thank you for the helpful response. We located a useful tutorial which helped a great deal.

#4 charityfilm

charityfilm

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:28 PM

The original Sketchup 6 files I converted for Moviestorm can be located here...

https://we.tl/xnPZMXUWPM

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#5 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:35 PM

We have discovered another issue however after importing Sketchup models into Moviestorm following the video tutorial, whereas adding some models to the Set Workshop View, will make other existing models vanish. Has anyone encountered this issue?

Also, is there any way to reduce the filesize of some imported 3D models without losing too much of their original aesthetic?

Does adding tintable features to some of the models imported into Moddings Workshop drastically increase file sizes?

Well, first source of problem: some of the models have an insanely high poly count, and that's one reason enough to bring the rendering engine down to its kneels. For example:

Dress Rack 01: 298463

Shirts Rail 01: 128502

Even a model with a file size apparently modest (Trainers_wall_01) turns out to have 336424 faces!

In conclusion, those models, though appealling, are unpractical, especially if you put them all together in a single mod file and/or use them in the same scene.

Now, you can try to reduce the poly count by using some tools ad hoc, such as Atangeo Balancer (http://www.atangeo.com/products). They offer a free version with some limitations and other demo version, fully functional except it doesn't allow to save the model. You may well give it a try and see whether it fills the bill for you or not, before going for the commercial version.

Finally, as for adding the tintable/user image feature to a model does not add a single byte to its size: it's merely a flag indicating that the color or the texture for some material in the model can be changed by the user.

If you want to tell jokes then use Muvizu; if you want to make 'Movies', use iClone; but if you want to tell stories, use Moviestorm - PrimaveraNZ

#6 charityfilm

charityfilm

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:46 PM

Your feedback was deeply appreciated jamoram62, and of great help.

This is a brilliant and highly helpful response to our recent problem, and jamoram62 is truly a credit to the Moviestorm Community.

I have encountered a slight problem using the suggested software (Atangeo Balancer nPro Lite), in that is saves in .obj and .stl only. Having tried both options, I cannot import back into SketchUp to convert to the required SketchUp 6 for the Modding Workshop. Can you please further inform the required steps, and additional software required, to utilise the Atangeo software for Moviestorm benefit?

#7 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:40 AM

I have encountered a slight problem using the suggested software (Atangeo Balancer nPro Lite), in that is saves in .obj and .stl only. Having tried both options, I cannot import back into SketchUp to convert to the required SketchUp 6 for the Modding Workshop. Can you please further inform the required steps, and additional software required, to utilise the Atangeo software for Moviestorm benefit?

Ah, sorry. You're right: I was not aware of this problem, for I don't use Sketchup for modelling purposes, so I don't import assets into it.

However, I think there are some workarounds for the problem of importing an .obj or .stl format file into Sketchup.

IIRC, Sketchup can natively import only from .3ds and Collada (.dae) formats, but there are plugins or extensions to import directly from .obj files, such as the SimLab OBJ importer, though it's a commercial product with a trial license.

As a free alternative, you can use MeshLab (http://www.meshlab.net/), a powerful mesh manipulation tool by itself, which can import from .obj/.stl and export to .dae or .3ds, that can be imported into Sketchup.

Probably there are plenty of other plugins and extensions out there to perform the format conversion required in this case.

#8 charityfilm

charityfilm

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:52 PM

Ah, sorry. You're right: I was not aware of this problem, for I don't use Sketchup for modelling purposes, so I don't import assets into it.

However, I think there are some workarounds for the problem of importing an .obj or .stl format file into Sketchup.

IIRC, Sketchup can natively import only from .3ds and Collada (.dae) formats, but there are plugins or extensions to import directly from .obj files, such as the SimLab OBJ importer, though it's a commercial product with a trial license.

As a free alternative, you can use MeshLab (http://www.meshlab.net/), a powerful mesh manipulation tool by itself, which can import from .obj/.stl and export to .dae or .3ds, that can be imported into Sketchup.

Probably there are plenty of other plugins and extensions out there to perform the format conversion required in this case.

Sadly, this solution is not working for us, likely due to our lack of understanding the software and/or processes. As a result, we must abandon creation of the clothing store set, however, all contribution has been appreciated.

#9 jamoram62

jamoram62

Master Director

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:25 AM

Sad to know.

Just for the record, other potential solutions for reducing the poly count in Sketchup models pop up just by googling:

- Artisan for Sketchup

- Polygon Reducer (plugin for Sketchup)

- Polyreducer