• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 06:59 AM

im not sure if others would find this useful, but I think it would be great if there were a fee-based model conversion service with MS. While it is true MS allows for users to do this themselves, Max licenses are very expensive and sometimes I purchase props that are only available in the higher end software formats. I would like very much to pay someone else to do this for me. smile.gif

It is a labor of love and I don't mind doing it (strictly speaking of non animated props here), but I might spend an entire evening working on one prop (as I just did for a bust of Ceasar), when I'd rather spend an entire evening on my animation. It takes me minimum one month to do one 5 minute scene -- not a complaint, I love working on it -- but a good deal of that is 3 weeks of setting up the set and the scene, then one week on animation.

My opera is in 2 acts and has 53 numbers, so I suspect I'll be wrapping things up in 2035 or so. smile.gif

#2 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5214 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:04 AM

The problem always comes down to money. Even paying NZ minimum wage, your one Bust would have cost around USD $50 for me to make (and I don't work for minimum wage wink.gif
Most people complain when they have to pay anything resembling a realistic price for modding work, which is why the likes of Chris Ollis and Squirrely Girl struggle to provide such a service. MS itself only has a staff of 1.5 (as far as I know) so they are unlikely to have the capacity or inclination to do it either. I guess all you can do is put a value on it for yourself and then advertise. Maybe Fiverr.com offers an option?

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#3 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:43 AM

Everything you said seems sensible enough to me. I completely understand that this is a resource management issue more than anything else. But it is nice to dream!