• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:32 PM

I have been experimenting with getting a shot where the camera seems to glide like in a real movie. The best result have been to use several free shots and arrange them so that the track of this free shot seems to be in a straight line. Using the target camera or character shots react to the character movements.

Perhaps a solution would be to attach the camera to a moving platform while targeting a character or object, the same way a camera man would do in a dolly.

Of course the dolly would be invisible, it would ride on a track and would be able to rise and/or fall. Sort of a moving mesh with a camera stuck to it.

The bottom line would be to get a smooth camera movement while the targets are in motion (like running)

Some movies do use a shaky camera for effect but there are other shots where that is not desired.

I have not been around for a long time and I have read threads where people are describing issues with camera tracking and moving meshes. I do not know how hard this would be to implement or even if it would be worth it but the concept of a dolly used for stability seems to be something that would apply here as well. Any thoughts?

#2 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5224 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:53 PM

Is the ease-in and ease-out the main problem you are facing?

E.g. if you start with a shot then move to another position on the timeline and change the camera position by clicking in the view and dragging with the left mouse button and choosing a Move-to shot you get a pan effect. If you do the same with the right mouse button you get an orbit shot. In both cases you get ease in and out. If we could switch that off (like you can do with the movement of props now) would that not solve your issues?

I remember playing with running figures and camera some time ago here:- http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=109499

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#3 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Jan 14 2015, 8:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is the ease-in and ease-out the main problem you are facing?

E.g. if you start with a shot then move to another position on the timeline and change the camera position by clicking in the view and dragging with the left mouse button and choosing a Move-to shot you get a pan effect. If you do the same with the right mouse button you get an orbit shot. In both cases you get ease in and out. If we could switch that off (like you can do with the movement of props now) would that not solve your issues?

I remember playing with running figures and camera some time ago here:- http://www.moviestor...p;vid_id=109499

Yes, that is part of the problem. Also, there is the fact that the camera has nowhere stable to go to when there is movement. For example, the puppet or object movement track could serve as "the rail" and then offset the camera position from that. Otherwise, the camera is anchored to a puppet (not good), or free shot (requires you to find a path that will make the shot look steady.
The transition you are talking about is really not the real problem, since I don't edit inside of MS. I just care to get the right shot somewhere and then I go to my editing software. But I am talking about getting enough of the shot steady. It would probably be good to have that option added to the camera however.

I think you got a really good shot on your video. It is very steady and looks natural.

#4 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5224 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:22 PM

I requested something similar a few years ago, basically it was that the camera attached to an invisible puppet with a normal or steadicam option so you could control its path in the same way as a puppet. It went in the "too hard" basket then sadly.

#5 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Jan 14 2015, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I requested something similar a few years ago, basically it was that the camera attached to an invisible puppet with a normal or steadicam option so you could control its path in the same way as a puppet. It went in the "too hard" basket then sadly.

I thought that maybe someone had already asked. Thank you for letting me know..

#6 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5224 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:25 AM

But funnily enough, it seems like a lot of things that went in that same basket when there were lots of staff seem to be getting knocked off one at a time by Super Ben these days. So I wouldn't give up hope entirely wink.gif

#7 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4811 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:16 PM

Changing how the cameras work is still currently in the 'probably too hard' category. I did a bit of experimentation at one stage with attaching cameras to other things (at the moment they are all in world space). It did not go very well, I'm afraid.

At some point I hope to get my head around how the camera movement works. It uses quite a bit of matrix math written by one of our (ex) engineers who did not write the clearest of code, and understanding it is somewhat tricky. It requires finding some math textbooks for the matrix and spline stuff, and going through some unreasonably complicated code. Don't hold your breath.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#8 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 915 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:35 AM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Jan 15 2015, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Changing how the cameras work is still currently in the 'probably too hard' category. I did a bit of experimentation at one stage with attaching cameras to other things (at the moment they are all in world space). It did not go very well, I'm afraid.

At some point I hope to get my head around how the camera movement works. It uses quite a bit of matrix math written by one of our (ex) engineers who did not write the clearest of code, and understanding it is somewhat tricky. It requires finding some math textbooks for the matrix and spline stuff, and going through some unreasonably complicated code. Don't hold your breath.

So you're saying there's a chance? ;-)

#9 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5224 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE (Nahton @ Jan 16 2015, 2:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So you're saying there's a chance? ;-)

I have an oxygen mask on as we speak wink.gif