• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:57 PM

It would be incredibly useful to be able to, in the director's view, right click on any character or object and instantly convert it to a chroma-keyed, emissive object.

#2 pedrosura

pedrosura

Master Director

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:19 PM

agreed!

#3 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:06 AM

In my fantasy, it would be amazing to just "chroma mask' a character or prop as a timeline event.   It would save me from having to create separate renders in certain scenarios for post hoc layering.

It would also save me from having to create duplicate versions of complex props.    If the camera is moving, and the visibility of characters changes with the movement of the camera behind set pieces (such as behind the repeating columns in one of my roman forum sets), I would no longer have to create a separate set of rendering layers where that prop is retextured with a chroma-emissive surface, so that during the render, the characters weave in and out of visibility appropriately depending on perspective. 

So that the prop is in the same exact place in all rendering layers, I end up having to continually retexture the surface of the same prop in the modder's workshop and switch back and forth between the emissive version and the real version.   For a prop with lots of textures, this is very time consuming business, though it can be shortened a little by having two packed versions of the addon at the ready.   The alternative to this is to create duplicate versions of the prop, set the chroma version and the regular version exactly together on the set, and hide one or the other as necessary.  This is okay, but for complex,  high poly props, it really takes a huge bite out of the available resources and starts to get problematic/impossible.