• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#41 equinoxx

equinoxx

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 916 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:42 PM

After a quick look-see through some of the new features (mainly the dressing room and set workshop/tri-directional lighting model), my immediate reaction is...

...daddy LIKE!

The versatility of the new Universal Heads is fantastic, but one thing I especially appreciate is that I can import my go-to leading man (created all the way back in Beta 1) from stock and even though the old geometry facial hair is nowhere to be found for new characters, my man's prop goatee is still hanging there on his chin. Thank you for that. It is, as the youngsters say, sweet.
David "equinoxx" Anderson
http://www.veoh.com/...els/equinoxxent

#42 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:50 PM

Another question:
There are no "teeth" settings for the morphable heads as far as I can see.
If we want to use vampires, do we still have to use the old heads, or will there be a teeth variation feature for the new head(s), too?

#43 ehughes

ehughes

Master Director

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (johnnie @ Aug 12 2010, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you've downloaded the early access release of Moviestorm 1.4, we want to hear your comments. Praise and criticism are equally welcome here - we want to know what you liked and what you didn't like. You should also use this thread to report any bugs you encounter.

If you'd like to try Moviestorm version 1.4 before its official release, click here for details of the Early Access build.

First, I would like to read the other forums but there are too many links. Can someone please tell me how to view the forum flat so that I can scroll down and read? None of the new features are showing at all. I saw the spareheads download. When I hover my mouse over a face it says "sparehead" but it looks exactly the same. Am I missing something? Thanks!

#44 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:21 PM

Delete your browser cookies. This will also log you out, so that you have to log in again.
This should fix the forum view issues smile.gif

If you're on Vista or Windows 7, you might want to follow this workaround:
http://www.moviestor...p...ost&p=63255

#45 Jsted62

Jsted62

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:25 PM

I’m having an issue with the Moviestorm v1.4 install. I went through the installation steps for PC and Moviestorm began installing for about 20 minutes and then gave an error. I closed and re-opened Moviestorm and it started downloading again but I had to leave and shut the app.

When I got home I opened Moviestorm but it didn’t try to install v1.4 anymore. When I open Moviestorm it says it’s v1.4 but when I get to the new Dressing Room area nothing appears but a light blue background.

Please let me know how to get v1.4 to reinstall. Thanks.

#46 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:35 PM

First maybe you could try this:

Navigate in your Programs folder to Moviestorm, and then to the boot folder.
Open boot-win.properties (with Notepad), and see if the line in the middle says

this:
patch-info.URL=http\://s3.moviestorm.co.uk/patches/1.3/patch-info-win.xml

or this:
patch-info.URL=http\://s3.moviestorm.co.uk/patches/1.3/patch-info-1.4.xml

The first version is there after update to 1.4, while the second version is there before update. Otherwise all other content is the same.
If you have the first version, try to replace that line with the second version (or just re-download the boot-win.properties from the MS site for 1.4, and replace your current boot-win.properties file in the boot folder), and see if an update is triggered or not.

To completely reinstall (since you might have now some mess with old and new files), I guess you'd need to de-install MS, then download 1.3, and then re-try the steps provided for the update to 1.4. - I don't know if there is an easier way.

#47 Darth Angelus

Darth Angelus

Upcoming director

• Pioneers
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:46 AM

Very impressive, this is a huge step forward for Moviestorm and I know I'm going to have to redo nearly an hour of footage with the new characters...

The one issue I've seen so far is the same one Armanus posted about with the eyes. Not quite sure what's up with that but it kinda creepy.

I can post screenshots if need be but it looks identical to those already here.

#48 Jsted62

Jsted62

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE (mystery_egypt @ Aug 12 2010, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First maybe you could try this:

Navigate in your Programs folder to Moviestorm, and then to the boot folder.
Open boot-win.properties (with Notepad), and see if the line in the middle says

this:
patch-info.URL=http\://s3.moviestorm.co.uk/patches/1.3/patch-info-win.xml

or this:
patch-info.URL=http\://s3.moviestorm.co.uk/patches/1.3/patch-info-1.4.xml

The first version is there after update to 1.4, while the second version is there before update. Otherwise all other content is the same.
If you have the first version, try to replace that line with the second version (or just re-download the boot-win.properties from the MS site for 1.4, and replace your current boot-win.properties file in the boot folder), and see if an update is triggered or not.

To completely reinstall (since you might have now some mess with old and new files), I guess you'd need to de-install MS, then download 1.3, and then re-try the steps provided for the update to 1.4. - I don't know if there is an easier way.

Replacing the boot file line worked - v1.4 installed. Thanks, mystery_egypt.

#49 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:00 AM

QUOTE (Jsted62 @ Aug 13 2010, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Replacing the boot file line worked - v1.4 installed. Thanks, mystery_egypt.

Great that it worked! biggrin.gif
I'm glad that you didn't have to go through the whole re-installation process.

You're most welcome Jsted62 smile.gif

#50 ehughes

ehughes

Master Director

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:09 AM

QUOTE (johnnie @ Aug 12 2010, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you've downloaded the early access release of Moviestorm 1.4, we want to hear your comments. Praise and criticism are equally welcome here - we want to know what you liked and what you didn't like. You should also use this thread to report any bugs you encounter.

If you'd like to try Moviestorm version 1.4 before its official release, click here for details of the Early Access build.

looooooooooooooooooooooooooove it! This is the best thing ever.

#51 chatnoirstudios

chatnoirstudios

Director

• Pioneers
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:17 AM

I downloaded it, installed on a 64-bit Vista machine. No problems encountered.

Now I've only played 10 minutes or so with the new morphing head. It's amazing!! It's so thrilling to drag the sliders. Love the eyebrows and effects!

Great job, Moviestorm!! biggrin.gif

Chat Noir Studios online: Blog, Facebook, Twitter

#52 Nahton

Nahton

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 915 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:39 AM

Man, what a lousy time to have my hard drive crash!

The new one came today so I hope to get up and running soon but I have to say I love reading the positive reactions everyone has. The screenshots look awesome too.

I just can't wait to get a look at this release.

#53 ehughes

ehughes

Master Director

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:57 AM

I got everything working. I had to boot my PC. When I reopened it after a boot, the updates started to install. I LOVE the new changes. Excellent, very well done!

There is just one problem. The hair keeps disappearing. It's not my graphic card because it worked before in a movie I rendered and uploaded here. Here's a clip:

Attached Files

#54 bpgueze

bpgueze

Film Critic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:10 AM

Before my comments after install I am not seeing the file Moviestorm.l4j.ini
what happen to that file
I install it directing into the moviestorm 1.3 directory

1. The sorting of the movies by time and name, great initiative
2. The morphing, now we can have different faces and ugly people
3. Huge improvement on the direction of the window, thumps up
4. To much to say we like every thing so far

Want more of this
1. change the characters in the van to look more like our avatar we use on the set
2. Need a dropper tool to pic up a colour blend
3. Need an option for PAL and NTSC

#55 mystery_egypt

mystery_egypt

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 926 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:16 AM

Strange, I still have the Moviestorm.l4j.ini file in the MS folder among my program files. blink.gif

#56 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:17 AM

I noticed another bug in the dressing room. When I use a morphing hair and it covers the eyes at all, the whites of the eyes disappear, but you can still see the pupils. I can provide a screenshot if you want but it won't be until sunday or monday because I'm going on holiday.

#57 sfdex

sfdex

Master Director

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:20 AM

Wow! I'm loving this. The possibilities for character design are just awesome. The morphs are super powerful and give a huge range of looks to characters. Thank you, Moviestorm, for granting our wishes!

That said, the update hasn't been without problem. Actually getting the update to work was trouble. I followed the instructions, fired up Moviestorm, and let it sit a bit (took quite a while before it actually started downloading the update). Once it downloaded the update, I got the first attachment as an error message:

download/patch-StandUp-25160.jar (No such file or directory)

Along with the dramatic "UPDATES FAILED" in the progress bar.

Nonetheless, I clicked "start." And much to my surprise, Moviestorm 1.4 started right up. And the new features were there. But once I created a new character, then moved into the face details page, Moviestorm locked up.

No big surprise, I suppose, inasmuch as the updates had failed. So, I restarted Moviestorm, and after clicking "Start" on the splash page, my screen was filled with attachment #2. Interesting, almost cubist look, but I somehow doubt that's what Moviestorm is supposed to look like....

So, thinking something funky was going on, I restarted my computer. Moviestorm launched just fine after the restart, and ran quite well as I was playing around with the gazillion wonderful character variations. Then, at one point, it just locked up. Not exactly sure what I was doing when it locked up, but I've attached the log file here as attachment #3 (LOG.txt).

I haven't tried loading up old movies yet; I'll do that shortly. I actually have a day off work tomorrow, so I'm going to be playing with this for a while tonight!

A few bugs? Sure, but what a HUGE step forward for Moviestorm! Well done, folks! Well done.

Attached Files

MacBook Pro - Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.66 GHz - 4 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M/9600M GT - Snow Leopard (10.6.4)

#58 PapaG

PapaG

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 863 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:47 AM

No problems so far as I can see. Played around with it for a few hours.

Love the New look and features like.

the lighting (WOW) love it.
the face morphs (nice)

I would like to make one or two suggestions

when in change room, And moving the camera to view another side of actor, I get dizzy and car sick.
mainly because the actor moves sides as the camera moves as well. a quick fix would just have the actor move or the camera, but not both.

also you have an Icon for "cast List" and in that window you have the "+1" Icon. Any chance you could add another icon to add only "Custom Made Actors" that we have saved?

The reason I ask is this.... There are sOOOO many stock actors that scrolling thought them to find my custom made actors is time consuming, and since my next film has over 23 different scenes. this would save loads of time to just grab my custom made Actors.

or have the ability to hold shift and select more them one at a time.

that said great work MS thanks for the over haul. and shouldn't this be called MS version 2? because this is Impressive.

thanks for hearing me out

Gerald Lang

papag.jpg

I am around occasionally

#59 willshetterly

willshetterly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1356 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:12 AM

QUOTE (PapaG @ Aug 13 2010, 05:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any chance you could add another icon to add only "Custom Made Actors" that we have saved?

The reason I ask is this.... There are sOOOO many stock actors that scrolling thought them to find my custom made actors is time consuming, and since my next film has over 23 different scenes. this would save loads of time to just grab my custom made Actors.

or have the ability to hold shift and select more them one at a time.

Or could we delete stock characters the same way we delete the ones we create? Stock characters are great for new users, but they just get in the way for me now.

#60 sfdex

sfdex

Master Director

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:13 AM

I'd agree with PapaG and Willshetterly; managing the actors is a bit of an undertaking!

That said, after playing with 1.4 for a couple hours, I haven't had any more troubles after those when first starting with it, even using user mods. I'll give it a heavier spin around the block tomorrow, but must go to bed now. (Just after midnight here.)

Nice work on this update, folks!
MacBook Pro - Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.66 GHz - 4 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M/9600M GT - Snow Leopard (10.6.4)