6 replies to this topic

#1 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:24 AM

Attached File  Screenshot_2014_05_03_00.52.35.png   1.32MB   20 downloads

I'm working on a scene in my opera with lots of puppets, a couple hundred animated props, and a huge set (Mushroom cloud: Kaboom!!!!), but I am loving every exploding minute of it, if for no other reason than Chris's costumes have never made blowing up look so good!

I actually can render all 5 minutes of it in a single movie, but is next-to-impossible to make any significant edits. Likely I will eventually come to my senses and figure out how to do render this in several movies to be cut together, but until then, lunacy is fun.

None of the troubles come as any surprise, but I have found it too difficult to conceive the scene in small pieces from the start. The music is already written of course, but opera stage movement doesn't tend to be terribly active. So the music was written with theatre stagecraft in mind -- but obviously it is no fun to watch a Machinima scene where the puppets just stand their with their arms extended singing at you, so there is a need to be much more inventive in the visual component, as the conventions do not translate so well from one medium to the other.

I guess what I am saying is that I don't have a clear idea of what I want when I start the scene, I sort of piece it together as the visuals give me different ideas, and certain things pop and suddenly take me in a particular direction. Needless to say, brainstorming a visual concept with this many moving pieces is probably ill advised, but I can't really think of any other way and I'm having fun in any case. smile.gif

#2 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:16 AM

p.s.: Sorry, I should have posted this under the existing thread. If a moderator wants to move it, be my guest smile.gif

#3 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5339 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:25 AM

It is refreshing to hear such enthusiasm about MS again wink.gif

And yes, Moviestorm is capable of some great stuff once you figure out all the ins and outs and workarounds...

I am working on a 12 minute video just now which involves quite a big cast. What I tend to do is make the full thing with the main characters and as little set as possible (also switch off shading etc) as a single movie to work out the overall "look" ( a form of pre-viz I guess ) then I save it into several separate shorter pieces into which I add all the extras. So in this case I saved four, three minute "skeleton" copies and in each I removed the dialogue, animations and "look ats" which fall outside the particular time slice. It is "double handling" but it can free up significant resource and allow you to add more props, lights and actors into that particular part of the movie.

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#4 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:47 AM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ May 4 2014, 2:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is refreshing to hear such enthusiasm about MS again wink.gif

And yes, Moviestorm is capable of some great stuff once you figure out all the ins and outs and workarounds...

I am working on a 12 minute video just now which involves quite a big cast. What I tend to do is make the full thing with the main characters and as little set as possible (also switch off shading etc) as a single movie to work out the overall "look" ( a form of pre-viz I guess ) then I save it into several separate shorter pieces into which I add all the extras. So in this case I saved four, three minute "skeleton" copies and in each I removed the dialogue, animations and "look ats" which fall outside the particular time slice. It is "double handling" but it can free up significant resource and allow you to add more props, lights and actors into that particular part of the movie.

That sounds brilliant - can you explain how you save your skeleton copy into smaller segments? I don't know how to do that, or do you mean you render the video and cut it up and insert different video pieces into the cutting room view of your main movie file? I was thinking of doing the latter, but the former sounds like a much more versatile approach.

#5 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 5339 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:24 AM

I just open the original movie in MS and use "Save as" e.g "First 3mins", "Second 3mins" etc. Then I open "First 3mins" in MS and delete everything after the 3 minute mark. "Second Bit" is a little harder as you have to delete stuff before and after the 3 and 6 minute marks respectively. BUT you have to be careful not to delete any movements in the first 3 mins that will mean your actors don't end up in the correct place for the start of the second 3 mins. Sounds complicated but it becomes easier with time wink.gif

"If we only use 1/3 of our brain, what's the other 1/3 for?"

#6 mattzart30

mattzart30

Master Director

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ May 4 2014, 3:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just open the original movie in MS and use "Save as" e.g "First 3mins", "Second 3mins" etc. Then I open "First 3mins" in MS and delete everything after the 3 minute mark. "Second Bit" is a little harder as you have to delete stuff before and after the 3 and 6 minute marks respectively. BUT you have to be careful not to delete any movements in the first 3 mins that will mean your actors don't end up in the correct place for the start of the second 3 mins. Sounds complicated but it becomes easier with time wink.gif

Oh I see - that's a great approach to know. Thanks for sharing!

#7 aroundworld

aroundworld

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 878 posts
  • Interests:Film - writing - directing - aviation - traveling - machinema - reading - acting -

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:48 PM

THIS LOOKS AMAZING! cool.gif

There is no try, only do or do not.

Learn story telling in the MOVIESTORM education forum. 

START HERE:  http://www.moviestor...showtopic=13153