UV Mapping Tutorial

primaveranz
post Dec 24 2010, 5:05 AM
Post #1

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 2,534

Here is a simple explanation of the concept of UV Mapping or "Texture Wrapping" which is used widely in 3d modelling and of course in MS.

http://guerrillacg.org/home/3d-texturing/b...s-of-uv-mapping

And here is the link to Chris's tutorial on how to wrap a texture around a cube using Milkshape.

http://www.moviestorm.co.uk/forums/index.p...post&id=780

There are various free programs available to assist with the "unwrapping" of your shape into a UV Map and the application of a texture e.g. UVMapper (the "classic" version is free) or Lithunwrap

Milkshape has a built-in tool to assist you as well called the "Texture Coordinate Editor". Which is what I used on the Sub Machine gun in the picture in this thread for example.

Google SketchUp, while in many ways being an excellent and intuitive modelling tool, has serious failings in its handling of textures. Chris alluded to this a while back and this discussion on the Google Support forums shows that there is pressure being brought to include better functionality.

Also here is an interesting list of free 3d tools.

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rampa
post Dec 25 2010, 6:59 AM
Post #2

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,235

Hey PV. Check out this sketchup tutorial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAtCkjXQOtg

This is someones UV trick for mapping to existing pelts (i mean pictures).

The challenge as I see is to use one of the Sketchhup unwrap plugins to create a flat surface to draw on, and then reapply said texture (pelt) to the polys in Sketchup. Not sure if there is anyway to do the re-applying bit very easily.

"Make unique texture" is a good way to get your flattened model (with inside lines removed so its only an outline) into a template form to create the pelt.

Edit:
This looks like the ticket smile.gif

http://www.pumpkinpirate.info/flattery/

Apparently all you need to do is re-apply the texture to all original polys in the model using projection.

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Dec 25 2010, 7:08 AM
Post #3

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 341

I've been doing this for ages now. That is what I am doing when I talk about "photo realing". except everyone keeps trying to make it more complicated than it is and not listening to me at all. Just watch my movies especially all the ones that I demo addons and I show it being done. I do all my models this way now. Once you get the trick to it, it is very easy to do and you literally are painting with a photograph.

I use the same template for every image and I have that saved as a Sketchup file.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rampa
post Dec 25 2010, 7:25 AM
Post #4

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Dec 24 2010, 11:08 PM) *
I've been doing this for ages now. That is what I am doing when I talk about "photo realing". except everyone keeps trying to make it more complicated than it is and not listening to me at all. Just watch my movies especially all the ones that I demo addons and I show it being done. I do all my models this way now. Once you get the trick to it, it is very easy to do and you literally are painting with a photograph.

I use the same template for every image and I have that saved as a Sketchup file.

Well. Thats the jist of UV mapping. smile.gif The trick is to do it on more complicated surfaces; like horses or something. It just a more complicated wrap though.

Your staying up to catch Santa too huh?

+Quote Post
rampa
post Dec 25 2010, 7:31 AM
Post #5

Master Director
Group Icon

Here is another unfolder that seems to be automatic.

http://waybe.weebly.com

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Dec 25 2010, 7:48 AM
Post #6

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (rampa @ Dec 25 2010, 05:59 PM) *
Hey PV. Check out this sketchup tutorial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAtCkjXQOtg

This is someones UV trick for mapping to existing pelts (i mean pictures).

It is certainly novel using the component to clone the textures out but it does seem a bit overly complicated.

QUOTE (rampa @ Dec 25 2010, 05:59 PM) *
Edit:
This looks like the ticket smile.gif

http://www.pumpkinpirate.info/flattery/

Apparently all you need to do is re-apply the texture to all original polys in the model using projection.

This does look interesting will give it a try, thanks Rampa wink.gif

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Dec 25 2010, 1:56 PM
Post #7

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (rampa @ Dec 25 2010, 01:25 AM) *
Well. Thats the jist of UV mapping. smile.gif The trick is to do it on more complicated surfaces; like horses or something. It just a more complicated wrap though.

Your staying up to catch Santa too huh?

I did animals with it. I am now even doing people with this. For people it is great to use a face photo for the face as it looks very realistic and you can make characters of people you know, for instance, I did my two children. I am working on animating the first child now. You can see the animals here:

http://www.moviestorm.co.uk/community/inde...p;vid_id=105981

The trick is to find a good photo of an animal side view and it has to be pretty straight and fairly hi res. Then you pose the animal the way the animal is posed n the picture, i.e. redraw and reposition legs, head, etc. You only need the side view for an animal. The photo will wrap well enough around the face to look good.

The nice thing about using this for animals is that the fur is very realistic and it is not tiled so it looks natural. It was difficult for me to do at first but then I got it. For instance for a person, I take a photo of the head, face front, then the arms, hands, legs and clothing. I do a front and back photo of the clothing and have the front and back of the person separate props. then I put them together. You don't want to try just taking a full front view of an entire person and trying to wrap that. It can be done if you redraw your puppet to fit the pose in the picture exactly. But you don't have to do it that way at all. Oh I do the eyes separately too. The trick is to get the mouth and nose positioned correctly over the face of the puppet. But you learn after you have done this a bit. I have had a lot of experience with computer graphics arts programs so I picked this up pretty quickly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Dec 25 2010, 9:48 PM
Post #8

Master Director
Group Icon

I remember Davimount did a tutorial on that 18 months ago.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Dec 25 2010, 10:09 PM
Post #9

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Dec 25 2010, 03:48 PM) *
I remember Davimount did a tutorial on that 18 months ago.

That is a good tutorial about customizing faces for Moviestorm characters and I have tried that too however, the problem is that we can't change the skeleton for Moviestorm faces yet so you are somewhat limited. However, I believe the decals feature and learning to customize the decals might help quite a lot with this since we can morph the faces first with the face morpher. I have not gotten into that yet. No what I am doing is creating entirely new characters that will have custom faces and bodies and will be animated. I create the bodies in Make Human and then I import them into Sketchup, create a wig and the clothing and then use photographs to apply all the textures in Sketchup. Then I import them into Iclone 3d Exchange where I can do things like smooth the surfaces and other nice things and then I export them as obj files and am importing them into Milkshape where I am learning to animate them. Right now I am doing children because that is what everyone wants and what is most lacking in Moviestorm, other than animated animals.

With the children, each puppet will have several animations but it will be necessary to use a new puppet for each anim
ation sequence since we can't yet assign different animations to our props. But that is not really that difficult to do a movie this way because the chidlren will mostly be able to walk, run, play, sit and make some hand and head gestures that look like they are talking however, the lips won't move. But there are ways around that when filming so that when a child is speaking the camera will not directly be on the front of the face.

I am just now applying joints to the first child puppet and have completed that phase so on to the animation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rampa
post Dec 26 2010, 6:28 AM
Post #10

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Dec 25 2010, 02:09 PM) *
That is a good tutorial about customizing faces for Moviestorm characters and I have tried that too however, the problem is that we can't change the skeleton for Moviestorm faces yet so you are somewhat limited. However, I believe the decals feature and learning to customize the decals might help quite a lot with this since we can morph the faces first with the face morpher. I have not gotten into that yet. No what I am doing is creating entirely new characters that will have custom faces and bodies and will be animated. I create the bodies in Make Human and then I import them into Sketchup, create a wig and the clothing and then use photographs to apply all the textures in Sketchup. Then I import them into Iclone 3d Exchange where I can do things like smooth the surfaces and other nice things and then I export them as obj files and am importing them into Milkshape where I am learning to animate them. Right now I am doing children because that is what everyone wants and what is most lacking in Moviestorm, other than animated animals.

With the children, each puppet will have several animations but it will be necessary to use a new puppet for each anim
ation sequence since we can't yet assign different animations to our props. But that is not really that difficult to do a movie this way because the chidlren will mostly be able to walk, run, play, sit and make some hand and head gestures that look like they are talking however, the lips won't move. But there are ways around that when filming so that when a child is speaking the camera will not directly be on the front of the face.

I am just now applying joints to the first child puppet and have completed that phase so on to the animation.

Looks like you've worked out a pretty good work-flow. You can use "soften edges" in Sketchup and maybe skip the iCX4 step. Then again, Sketchup does not directly export something Milkshape can read unless you have the pro version. I found an obj exporter for Sketchup, but not sure it does textures.

Why don"t you just build your charsacters in iClone and export them to OBJ with iCX4? The character tools there in iC are very powerful as well, and can easily use a face photo. I've built many heads in iC using photos.

I think you could distort existing facial photos (like your own, or a friend's) so that features line up with the MS face photos, and then make a decal, but that might be a touch tricky.

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Dec 26 2010, 3:13 PM
Post #11

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (rampa @ Dec 26 2010, 12:28 AM) *
Looks like you've worked out a pretty good work-flow. You can use "soften edges" in Sketchup and maybe skip the iCX4 step. Then again, Sketchup does not directly export something Milkshape can read unless you have the pro version. I found an obj exporter for Sketchup, but not sure it does textures.

Why don"t you just build your charsacters in iClone and export them to OBJ with iCX4? The character tools there in iC are very powerful as well, and can easily use a face photo. I've built many heads in iC using photos.

I think you could distort existing facial photos (like your own, or a friend's) so that features line up with the MS face photos, and then make a decal, but that might be a touch tricky.

Sketchup doesn't export the obj files that well which is why I import the Sketchup file into 3d Exchange and then export it as an obj file. All the textures get exported with it and they all show up in Milkshape.

You can use characters from Iclone and export the meshes as an obj file, however, you can only do that piece by piece, i.e. head, hands, arms, legs, etc. If I do that I import them into Milkshape and Milkshape puts them together. So it isn't a lot less work to do that. However, you can pose them in 3d exchange. and export them in the pose. You can only do this with characters you have customized though. I think you can export most of the props meshes too, but since I make most of my own props anyway i don't use a lot of Iclone props, other than things that have animation like guns. I have found believe it or not, their furniture and props are really hi poly and I can make lower poly ones myself. And that is a big problem with Iclone, because you can't have hi poly props on the set or it locks up. You can have higher poly props on Moviestorm sets.

And as far as using characters from Iclone, I really like the Make Human ones. They are pretty hi poly so i have to redraw a lot of them and of course remove things like teeth and eyeballs and anything interior that is hi poly.

I am not sure if you can export the meshes from their animals or not. haven't tried that yet since I already had royalty free 3d Max meshes of dogs, horses, donkey etc. that I used in my animals addon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rampa
post Dec 26 2010, 9:22 PM
Post #12

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Dec 26 2010, 07:13 AM) *
Sketchup doesn't export the obj files that well which is why I import the Sketchup file into 3d Exchange and then export it as an obj file. All the textures get exported with it and they all show up in Milkshape.

You can use characters from Iclone and export the meshes as an obj file, however, you can only do that piece by piece, i.e. head, hands, arms, legs, etc. If I do that I import them into Milkshape and Milkshape puts them together. So it isn't a lot less work to do that. However, you can pose them in 3d exchange. and export them in the pose. You can only do this with characters you have customized though. I think you can export most of the props meshes too, but since I make most of my own props anyway i don't use a lot of Iclone props, other than things that have animation like guns. I have found believe it or not, their furniture and props are really hi poly and I can make lower poly ones myself. And that is a big problem with Iclone, because you can't have hi poly props on the set or it locks up. You can have higher poly props on Moviestorm sets.

And as far as using characters from Iclone, I really like the Make Human ones. They are pretty hi poly so i have to redraw a lot of them and of course remove things like teeth and eyeballs and anything interior that is hi poly.

I am not sure if you can export the meshes from their animals or not. haven't tried that yet since I already had royalty free 3d Max meshes of dogs, horses, donkey etc. that I used in my animals addon.

I was just thinking about having matching characters in the two programs. Could be very handy.

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Dec 26 2010, 10:04 PM
Post #13

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (rampa @ Dec 26 2010, 03:22 PM) *
I was just thinking about having matching characters in the two programs. Could be very handy.

Yes I came very close in creating several of the characters from the Man from Schenectady in Moviestorm after we had the morphable heads and I got pretty close. Of course I designed all the costumes in Iclone and just don't have time to make costumes like them in Moviestorm. Most of them I could duplicate here. But I am almost finished with the movie anyway so I don't need to do that with this movie.

I have duplicated Moviestorm characters easily in Iclone though and have used that in movies where I wanted my characters to be able to do some things they can't do in Moviestorm and that works very well.

Next time I decide to do that, I will start with the Moviestorm characters and duplicate them in Iclone instead of trying to do it the other way around so I can use both programs. I am going to do that with Vautrin which I plan anyway on making mostly with Moviestorm.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rampa
post Dec 28 2010, 3:05 AM
Post #14

Master Director
Group Icon

OK. I figured it out in Sketchup. Its not really worth the trouble, but here goes anyway. wink.gif

1 Create a model in Sketchup.
2 Make each face of the model its own component.
3 Make a copy of the model and slide it some distance from the original
4 Unfold the model using one of the unfolding tools for Sketchup. I used "Flattery".
5 When the model is flat, go ahead and color some of the faces, and because they are components their corresponding faces in the original folded model will be colored.
6 Draw a square around your flattened model (must be square) and export the whole flat shebang to an SVG file from the Flattery toolbar.
7 Open your SVG file in an editor. SVG is a vector format, so Inkscape is good. I think some paint programs support SVG as well.
8 Draw something pretty across the image of your flattened model.
9 create a texture in Sketchup and import your new texture file into it.
10 Paint your flattened model with this new texture. Every face you paint will have its corresponding face painted in the original model painted with a perpendicular projection. Oh yeah. Probably have to make the texture a projected one.

As you can see, this is a major pain in the ass as soon as you get more than a few faces. Not to mention several more headaches with overlapping and opening different components. For a simple, non-organic form, its probably good. But I would recommend a real UV mapper or UV paint program.

Here are some to try:

Roadkill for UV mapping. Its free. Its powerful. It is a stand-alone app that can interface with Maya and a couple others. Download the Maya version.

http://www.pullin-shapes.co.uk/page8.htm

3D Blacksmith Suite has a free UV paint program in it. Download the suite and toss or buy the spendy bits, but keep the free paint program.

http://www.blacksmith3d.com/

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Dec 28 2010, 3:19 AM
Post #15

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (rampa @ Dec 28 2010, 02:05 PM) *
3D Blacksmith Suite has a free UV paint program in it. Download the suite and toss or buy the spendy bits, but keep the free paint program.

http://www.blacksmith3d.com/

I'm just getting a DNS error trying to get to that site Rampa. Is that definitely the right URL? Might just be my slow connection I guess...

<EDIT> Yeah scrub that. It came up eventually wink.gif </EDIT>

--------------------

+Quote Post
rampa
post Dec 28 2010, 3:55 AM
Post #16

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Dec 27 2010, 07:19 PM) *
I'm just getting a DNS error trying to get to that site Rampa. Is that definitely the right URL? Might just be my slow connection I guess...

I clicked it just now, and it went through. There is another program called "tattoo" as well. I'm looking for it now. The paint programs need an already UV mapped model. Sketchup doesn't do UVs right, so you might want to use Roadkill for that, or this:

http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic....725&start=0

The previous version.

http://rhin.crai.archi.fr/rubylibrarydepot...ails.php?id=459

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: