4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
How many modders who don't want their mods in commercial products?

ehughes
post Jan 25 2011, 6:09 AM
Post #1

Master Director

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,948

I'm starting a new project soon, and want to make sure I'm not using any mods in my projects created by someone who doesn't want them used in any commercial products.

Can we make a list, and keep it locked at the top of this forum for reference? That way, users won't make the mistake of crossing any copyright boundaries? Thanks much guys!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
andy_price
post Jan 25 2011, 6:35 AM
Post #2

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 8,442

I am happy for my mods to be used in commercial projects, as long as I am credited for the mod

--------------------

+Quote Post
kkffoo
post Jan 25 2011, 9:22 AM
Post #3

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 283

I am happy for all the mods I have posted so far to be used in commercial films. I don't need a credit.

--------------------

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Jan 25 2011, 9:39 AM
Post #4

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,534

It would be easier if everyone included e.g. a Creative Commons Licence with each Addon as they released it.

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

+Quote Post
luxaeternam
post Jan 25 2011, 10:44 AM
Post #5

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,041

For those wishing to use Creative Commons here is a helpful chart for V3 :

I still haven't got as far as releasing anything into the wild yet, but if and when I ever do, I'll be slapping a combination of these symbols on my hypothetical addon.

--------------------
"Les miroirs feraient bien de réfléchir un peu plus avant de renvoyer les images" : Jean Cocteau

+Quote Post
kkffoo
post Jan 25 2011, 10:55 AM
Post #6

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 283

All the creative commons licenses have attribution . This can become an issue for short films with many mods.
ie: a short film with 'ground cover 01 by millmollymandy147' as part of a 3 page credit roll looks a bit naff?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Ollis
post Jan 25 2011, 10:59 AM
Post #7

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 5

QUOTE (kkffoo @ Jan 25 2011, 10:55 AM) *
All the creative commons licenses have attribution . This can become an issue for short films with many mods.
ie: a short film with 'ground cover 01 by millmollymandy147' as part of a 3 page credit roll looks a bit naff?

Agreed, I suggest people just put a polite "if you can credit me in your movie that would be great", if they're not happy with that why are they making their mods public?! smile.gif

--------------------
Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Jan 25 2011, 11:10 AM
Post #8

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (kkffoo @ Jan 25 2011, 09:55 PM) *
All the creative commons licenses have attribution .

Now that I did not know. It's rather daft really. So yes I agree with you both, if people are going to get all precious about not being attributed then they shouldn't risk releasing them in the wild.
Stick to doing requests only.

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Jan 25 2011, 1:05 PM
Post #9

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 341

All my addons are free for you to use as you wish, but I would like credit for them with my full name, Lucinda McNary.

--------------------

+Quote Post
luxaeternam
post Jan 25 2011, 1:15 PM
Post #10

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,041

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Jan 25 2011, 12:10 PM) *
Now that I did not know. It's rather daft really. So yes I agree with you both, if people are going to get all precious about not being attributed then they shouldn't risk releasing them in the wild.
Stick to doing requests only.

Sounds very wise. Or just sell addons including the license to use them. laugh.gif

--------------------
"Les miroirs feraient bien de réfléchir un peu plus avant de renvoyer les images" : Jean Cocteau

+Quote Post
willshetterly
post Jan 25 2011, 2:46 PM
Post #11

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,351

For the record, if any of my mods are still useful, anyone's welcome to use them, and there's no need to credit me.

+Quote Post
kv
post Jan 25 2011, 3:04 PM
Post #12

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,849

I don`t mind my mods being used in any movies, a credit to me would be nice but I wouldn`t die if it was forgotten tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
writerly
post Jan 25 2011, 4:46 PM
Post #13

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,540

If I really cared about copyright on the assets I have created, I wouldn't release them as addons. I just think of it as giving back to the community. If I have purchased something, I think I have also bought the right NOT to give attribution. Otherwise it just gets silly.
C

+Quote Post
corthew
post Jan 26 2011, 1:20 AM
Post #14

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,729

In the event that I ever create an original mod, which is possible, If I release it, its released. If I horde it to myself, tough cookies.smile.gif

But I don't expect attribution for something I released. If I request a mod that doesn't exist and someone creates it for me alone then of course I'll credit them. I may credit them even if they release it to the public. But don't hold me to that. There are at least a dozen different individuals who have created mods I've downloaded and installed.

On a 5 to 15 minute video if I attribute each one I use it will look ridiculous.

If I am able to do the movie I'm working toward then I will indeed attribute each one. Plenty of room then with the end score and all.smile.gif

Provided I can tell who created which. Its not always apparent.

I consider it a common courtesy that, if you have the space for it, you should attribute as many people as possible.smile.gif

Plus it lets viewers know where I got those cool toys.smile.gif

--------------------
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

+Quote Post
Poulet Noir
post Jan 26 2011, 11:43 AM
Post #15

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,759

As with most other posters here a credit would be appreciated where appropriate, but no biggie if it doesn't happen.

And as Corthew said, the benefit of crediting modders is that it highlights the fact that the mods are available for others to use (and potentially help the Director avoid having to deal with questions about the mods).

--------------------
"Come back Black Chicken! Leave us an egg or something..." Love at First Bite

Bat avatar used by kind permission of Jon Huckeby. Check out his blog!

+Quote Post
sfdex
post Jan 28 2011, 6:16 PM
Post #16

Master Director

Member No.: 4,532

FWIW, if you're putting a Creative Commons license on something, you may rescind the "attribution" aspect of it. You may also release your work into the public domain, which means that you forfeit copyright to the work and therefore allow anyone to use it.

It seems that the community here is pretty easy-going about attributions and credits, but as a matter of course, if I use someone's work, I want to credit them. Occasionally I can't find whom to credit, but I do give it the old college try.

My day job is doing television production for the California Supreme Court, and last year I created a number of animations with Moviestorm for a Judicial Safety and Security project. There were some "raised eyebrows" when the credit roll included names like "davidwww," "kv," and other web handles. It's taking a while to get people who are a bit more old-school to warm up to the idea that we have to credit folks as they choose to be identified.

(The animations were really well received, by the way. Using Moviestorm allowed me to show hypothetical situations that would have cost thousands of dollars -- or more -- to shoot in the real world. I'm still trying to get permission from my superiors to post an excerpt of this broadcast here to share with you all.)

--------------------
MacBook Pro - Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.66 GHz - 4 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M/9600M GT - Snow Leopard (10.6.4)

+Quote Post
ehughes
post Feb 6 2011, 1:07 AM
Post #17

Master Director

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Jan 25 2011, 09:39 AM) *
It would be easier if everyone included e.g. a Creative Commons Licence with each Addon as they released it.

Hmmm... but if you're like me, you'll have no idea what that chart means. I see a $ with a strike going through it. That chart is unclear. I would just prefer "royalty free, nonexclusive license, please credit the creator if used commercially" would make life easy for me lol

+Quote Post
ehughes
post Feb 6 2011, 1:09 AM
Post #18

Master Director

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Jan 25 2011, 01:05 PM) *
All my addons are free for you to use as you wish, but I would like credit for them with my full name, Lucinda McNary.

WHen I did 2020 AD, I started to name all of the modders, but then I thought... what if they want privacy? So I put "thank you to the modders of stormcraft and machinimods" under special contributions.

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Feb 6 2011, 1:47 AM
Post #19

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 341

QUOTE (ehughes @ Feb 5 2011, 07:09 PM) *
WHen I did 2020 AD, I started to name all of the modders, but then I thought... what if they want privacy? So I put "thank you to the modders of stormcraft and machinimods" under special contributions.

Oh they want credit so on your next film make sure you credit everyone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Feb 6 2011, 4:02 AM
Post #20

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (ehughes @ Feb 6 2011, 12:09 PM) *

That would be fine in my book, as you will notice from the above discussion that the majority of modders here don't care too much one way or the other.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: