• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 writerly

writerly

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 814 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:34 PM

Film-making is all about illusion. And as a Moviestorm Director we get to be the illusionist who can make an audience believe they have seen one thing, when they have actually seen something quite different.

Look carefully through the gestures and see what elements of them can be useful in other ways.

In the attached demo a woman puts her head on her husband's shoulder. You won't find that gesture in Moviestorm. BUT If you take the "left hand/flirty brush clothes" gesture with another character in the right spot, it looks like she puts her head on his shoulder.

Sometimes shortening or lengthening a gesture will increase the impact. I stretched the 'flirty brush clothes" so that the head on shoulder moment looked right and obviously shot it tighter so the rest of the gesture didn't show.

PART TWO
I am a gesture whore. I'll buy packs just for some of the gestures which come along with them. In the second part of the attached clip, you'll see how I have used and abused a gesture from the "Street Dressing" pack. Just because a character hammers on a phone box door in one scene, doesn't mean the same hammering can't come in useful elsewhere.

It isn't about what comes in the seconds before or after a shot, but whether you can capture a single moment to use in just the right place.

#2 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 4783 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:55 PM

Excellent tips Writerly, I hope you will be using some of these skills in The Gesture Competition wink.gif
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

#3 kv

kv

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1941 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:33 PM

Very nice tips, and you know something, in all honesty I never even knew there was that animation for the phone boxes laugh.gif

#4 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3246 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:07 AM

This is great, you could enter this as it is (to comp) by just cutting out the first scene custom props. I'm sure there are many people who never knew, or have forgotten that really useful phone box gesture.

#5 keithlawrence

keithlawrence

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1108 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (kv @ Feb 15 2011, 11:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very nice tips, and you know something, in all honesty I never even knew there was that animation for the phone boxes laugh.gif

I didnĀ“t either, but I'm too proud to admit it

#6 steve3416

steve3416

Director

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE (writerly @ Feb 15 2011, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PART TWO
a gesture from the "Street Dressing" pack. Just because a character hammers on a phone box door in one scene, doesn't mean the same hammering can't come in useful elsewhere.

It isn't about what comes in the seconds before or after a shot, but whether you can capture a single moment to use in just the right place.

Also thanks bunches for pointing out the hammering on the phone booth gesture. I didn't realize it either and so I played around with it and got a few nice ideas for upcoming movies.
This one posting made my Moviestorm day.
Steve

#7 Moviestorm

Moviestorm

Master Director

• Mods
  • 531 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:05 PM

Oh, those are neat!
The Moviestorm Team

#8 Throwaxe

Throwaxe

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:21 AM

LOL, that was pretty cool laugh.gif

I see a new wave of aggression gestures emerging...
"The more you reason the less you create." - Raymond Chandler