Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tip: Using and abusing gestures, How to make characters do stuff they don't want to!

writerly
post Feb 15 2011, 7:34 PM
Post #1

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 3,540

Film-making is all about illusion. And as a Moviestorm Director we get to be the illusionist who can make an audience believe they have seen one thing, when they have actually seen something quite different.

Look carefully through the gestures and see what elements of them can be useful in other ways.

In the attached demo a woman puts her head on her husband's shoulder. You won't find that gesture in Moviestorm. BUT If you take the "left hand/flirty brush clothes" gesture with another character in the right spot, it looks like she puts her head on his shoulder.

Sometimes shortening or lengthening a gesture will increase the impact. I stretched the 'flirty brush clothes" so that the head on shoulder moment looked right and obviously shot it tighter so the rest of the gesture didn't show.

PART TWO
I am a gesture whore. I'll buy packs just for some of the gestures which come along with them. In the second part of the attached clip, you'll see how I have used and abused a gesture from the "Street Dressing" pack. Just because a character hammers on a phone box door in one scene, doesn't mean the same hammering can't come in useful elsewhere.

It isn't about what comes in the seconds before or after a shot, but whether you can capture a single moment to use in just the right place.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Feb 15 2011, 7:55 PM
Post #2

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,534

Excellent tips Writerly, I hope you will be using some of these skills in The Gesture Competition wink.gif

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

+Quote Post
kv
post Feb 15 2011, 10:33 PM
Post #3

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,849

Very nice tips, and you know something, in all honesty I never even knew there was that animation for the phone boxes laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kkffoo
post Feb 16 2011, 8:07 AM
Post #4

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 283

This is great, you could enter this as it is (to comp) by just cutting out the first scene custom props. I'm sure there are many people who never knew, or have forgotten that really useful phone box gesture.

--------------------

+Quote Post
keithlawrence
post Feb 16 2011, 10:39 AM
Post #5

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,321

QUOTE (kv @ Feb 15 2011, 11:33 PM) *
Very nice tips, and you know something, in all honesty I never even knew there was that animation for the phone boxes laugh.gif

I didnĀ“t either, but I'm too proud to admit it

--------------------

+Quote Post
steve3416
post Feb 20 2011, 6:23 PM
Post #6

Director

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,134

QUOTE (writerly @ Feb 15 2011, 07:34 PM) *
PART TWO
a gesture from the "Street Dressing" pack. Just because a character hammers on a phone box door in one scene, doesn't mean the same hammering can't come in useful elsewhere.

It isn't about what comes in the seconds before or after a shot, but whether you can capture a single moment to use in just the right place.

Also thanks bunches for pointing out the hammering on the phone booth gesture. I didn't realize it either and so I played around with it and got a few nice ideas for upcoming movies.
This one posting made my Moviestorm day.
Steve

+Quote Post
Moviestorm
post Feb 21 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #7

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 658

Oh, those are neat!

--------------------
The Moviestorm Team

+Quote Post
Throwaxe
post Feb 22 2011, 11:21 AM
Post #8

Wannabe film-maker

Group: Members
Member No.: 886

LOL, that was pretty cool laugh.gif

I see a new wave of aggression gestures emerging...

--------------------
"The more you reason the less you create." - Raymond Chandler

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: