2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Sign the "Kill those mountains" petition

Moviestorm mountains
Should moviestorm loose the background mountains?
Absolutely! [ 32 ] ** [94.12%]
Not fussed! [ 2 ] ** [5.88%]
I like them! [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 34
Guests cannot vote 
kv
post May 7 2011, 2:01 PM
Post #1

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 5,849

There are no doubt many of us who truly hate those mountains that surround the moviestorm grid, me being one of them. It has been said so many times that they are hideous (no offence Moviestorm), personally I would much rather have a sky dome that reaches ground level than have the mountains, I am always finding ways of covering them in my movies.

I know there is a hack that can remove the mountains but it then leaves the problem of there being a blank space between the sky level and where the mountains were.

If Moviestorm could find it in their hearts to do away with the mountains, or create an option to remove them and have a dome reach land level it would be great (I appreciate that the mountains are hard coded, but surely something can be done).

So if you too hate those mountains please vote, hopefully moviestorm will show pity on us and work on something to rid us of them wink.gif

For the benefit of those not sure what mountains I mean, it is these:

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chadaproductions
post May 7 2011, 3:02 PM
Post #2

Critically acclaimed

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,671

I sign the petition smile.gif It may also lead the way for a few more Mods, such as skyscrapers, beach views, and "Proper" Mountains (no offence Moviestorm) just a vauge thought, I'm not my most intelligent at 4PM on a Saturday hehe...

--------------------

Chada Productions
Video Production & Animation

Website
Facebook Page
Follow Us On Twitter!
Email Us!

+Quote Post
PapaG
post May 7 2011, 4:48 PM
Post #3

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,574

QUOTE (chadaproductions @ May 7 2011, 03:02 PM) *
I sign the petition smile.gif It may also lead the way for a few more Mods, such as skyscrapers, beach views, and "Proper" Mountains (no offence Moviestorm) just a vauge thought, I'm not my most intelligent at 4PM on a Saturday hehe...

DL Watson did already do Poll On this this very topic!
I Signed the Petition But I dough it will do any good

--------------------

+Quote Post
kv
post May 7 2011, 5:04 PM
Post #4

Master Director
Group Icon

Surely the point has to be noticed and some sort of action considered.

I really do not see the point in those mountains at all, they do not assist in anything, if anything I bet they add to the load that moviestorm uses already so we could certainly do without them. Apart from new user videos, I don`t see any other users ever showing them in their proper movies huh.gif

I am sure someone in Moviestorm said it was hard coded before, but surely that bit of code can be changed to remove the mountains, and something added to increase the sky dome (get it to drop to ground level is what I mean).

I don`t want to need to use a hack to remove them, especially when it results in a horrible mess because the sky dome ends at the mountains huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
D.L. Watson
post May 7 2011, 7:07 PM
Post #5

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,822

Good luck on this one guys. I tried my best to get them to have an option to remove the mountains with no luck.

+Quote Post
kv
post May 7 2011, 10:37 PM
Post #6

Master Director
Group Icon

Well we can certainly give it a go, it is something a lot of us feel passionate about.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PapaG
post May 7 2011, 10:59 PM
Post #7

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,574

If your seriously want MS to Kill The Mountains add this Line of Code to your Signature

CODE
[url="http://www.moviestorm.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=0&showtopic=11215"][size=4][b]Sign the "Kill those mountains" petition[/b][/size]
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/kingvillain/Killthosemountains.jpg[/img]
Are you Sick Of the MS Solid Green Mountains?Then Join the movment To Perswaded MS Saff to Help Us all Out and[color="#FF0000"]
[size=4]KILL Those Mountains [/size][/color]see Thread Below[/url]
[url="http://www.moviestorm.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=0&showtopic=11215"]http://www.moviestorm.co.uk/forums/index.p...showtopic=11215[/url]

--------------------

+Quote Post
Robear
post May 7 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #8

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,378

Although I voted for removal (or better yet an on-off feature) of the mountains, if it is a time and resource choice between recoding to remove the mountains or further development of Moviestorm (i.e. morphable terrain, action animations, stability improvements, etc.) I choose the latter. There are a number of ways to shoot around the mountains.

+Quote Post
kwistufa
post May 7 2011, 11:35 PM
Post #9

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 107

I Voted for them to be Bull dozer'ed as well...
Though... An On/Off option would be Great...

The 'Hack' leaves an ugly eyesore black space where the Mountains were for me...
Just as much hassle as it is to cover up/hide the mountains..
So its pretty useless in my opinion.

+Quote Post
chadaproductions
post May 8 2011, 10:05 AM
Post #10

Critically acclaimed

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,671

QUOTE (Robear @ May 7 2011, 11:05 PM) *
Although I voted for removal (or better yet an on-off feature) of the mountains, if it is a time and resource choice between recoding to remove the mountains or further development of Moviestorm (i.e. morphable terrain, action animations, stability improvements, etc.) I choose the latter. There are a number of ways to shoot around the mountains.

That is a point. I think however, due to the fact we haven't had an update for nearly 7 months, Moviestorm are working on something big. Maybe they spent a lot of it redesigning the Moviestorm website, but I would hope that an update will come out soon (Maybe we're looking at MS 1.5...) and it will contain
-Mountain Option ^^ As posted
-A more stable Moviestorm
-Previews for the educational pack
-A Real free smartphone for all paying customers! (Jokes, I'm pleased enough with M/S as it is)

--------------------

Chada Productions
Video Production & Animation

Website
Facebook Page
Follow Us On Twitter!
Email Us!

+Quote Post
kv
post May 8 2011, 11:07 AM
Post #11

Master Director
Group Icon

I agree, indeed this next update must be a big one, would be nice to be told something more about it though.

I think the option to remove the mountains and have the dome reach ground level should be implemented at some point in the near future (I would prefer sooner than later but I accept these things can take time).

Aswell as being hideous the mountains stop experienced users from being able to expand their sets off the grid, right now unless the set is made to hover above the mountain peaks they sink in. We asked for a bigger grid and it seems we are not going to get it, then at least having the option to remove those cursed mountains should be allowed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kkffoo
post May 8 2011, 2:49 PM
Post #12

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 283

I don't think they know how to do it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post May 8 2011, 3:40 PM
Post #13

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 341

I think kkffoo is correct, they really can't do it. The same reason why you can't make the grid larger or have puppets walk off the grid even when you have a walkable surface for them to walk on. But the remove mountains code that Ben_S gave us works very well but then everything works on my computer and I have heard using this code doesn't always work on other computers. I have used this code for years on several different computers with every version of Moviestorm since the beginning and it works fine for me.

Since the code causes some problems for some users with their computers, that is probably why they don't make it a permanent option yet. That is not to say that they won't be able to make it work someday.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Armanus
post May 8 2011, 4:08 PM
Post #14

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,721

If they created it with the mountains, they can create it without. If anything, removing that extra bit of geometry will help MS, not hinder it. I think the only thing holding it back is priorities...fitting the code changes in with everything else they are trying to do.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kkffoo
post May 8 2011, 4:10 PM
Post #15

Master Director
Group Icon

Yes but did they create them?

--------------------

+Quote Post
kv
post May 8 2011, 5:04 PM
Post #16

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (kkffoo @ May 8 2011, 04:10 PM) *

Well I`m sure they can`t have made themselves, unless of course Satan has possessed the moviestorm code, in which case we need to call in an exorcist.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kkffoo
post May 8 2011, 5:11 PM
Post #17

Master Director
Group Icon

I suspect the Ukrainians, and I think they had something to do with the female puppet's elbows as well. ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post May 8 2011, 5:44 PM
Post #18

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (kkffoo @ May 8 2011, 10:10 AM) *

When I first saw Vicious Engine software

http://www.viciousengine.com/index.cfm

it looked a lot like Moviestorm so I asked them if they started with that engine or outsourced any of the development of Moviestorm to a company using this engine but they told me no they didn't. So they did dvelope this software themselves unless they started with another game engine. Vicious Engine was the only one that resembled Moviestorm though, especially their animated characters. Their software is not available to the public though in general. I mean you can't purchase it. You have to submit a proposal and then you get a free 90 day trial download. Then I don't know how they handle the purchase of the software, it might just be licensed to the companies who use it and it is probably pretty expensive.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kkffoo
post May 8 2011, 6:58 PM
Post #19

Master Director
Group Icon

Actually we have no clue do we, but my personal theory has always been that camp Ukrainians made a significant contribution early on, then left in a huff, or were 'let go' after a dispute.
I bet they booby trapped the mountains, and unhinged the female shoulders as revenge on the way out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post May 8 2011, 8:02 PM
Post #20

Master Director
Group Icon

well I have never understood why we have to have the mountains and why the sky can't be lower other than it is a problem with the programming.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: