• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 keithlawrence

keithlawrence

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1108 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:30 AM

PEOPLE, WE HAVE TO STAND UP AND USE OUR VOICE AGAINST THIS CAPITALISM angry.gif . MOVIESTORM SHOULD BE FREE. I HAVE BILLS TO PAY, KIDS TO FEED AND A LOT OF OTHER UNNECESSARY THINGS TO BUY.
STAND TOGETHER WITH ME AND USE YOUR VOICE

#2 keithlawrence

keithlawrence

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1108 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:31 AM

laugh.gif sorry, it´s just been a while ago since we had posts like this and I kind of miss the entertainment that followed.

#3 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9170 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:24 PM

Since I just spent about 6 weeks, night and day animating characters I created for Wonder Boy for use in Moviestorm, I can well appreciate the hard work that goes into creating a program like Moviestorm and that is just part of it. I have no idea how difficult the programming aspect of this software is. And these guys have kids to feed and mortgages to pay too just like we do. The price is very reasonable and with all the free addons the modders make and being able to make animated props and chraacters for use in Moviestorm, Moviestorm is unlimited now.

#4 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:20 PM

I think they should pay us to use it. Cash money or gold.

Either one works for me.

Maybe a combination of the two.

No travelers checks though please. I'd have to travel then and that could cost me more than its worth.smile.gif

Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

#5 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:53 PM

Shock and awe!

#6 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3245 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:11 PM

I'd like Ben to make me a cup of tea.

#7 stormy

stormy

Film Critic

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE (keithlawrence @ Jun 1 2011, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PEOPLE, WE HAVE TO STAND UP AND USE OUR VOICE AGAINST THIS CAPITALISM angry.gif . MOVIESTORM SHOULD BE FREE. I HAVE BILLS TO PAY, KIDS TO FEED AND A LOT OF OTHER UNNECESSARY THINGS TO BUY.
STAND TOGETHER WITH ME AND USE YOUR VOICE

That's right Moviestorm should be paying the users.
With iclone 5 on the horizon Moviestorm is destined for the scrapheap.
The experiment to creatively herd and alienate users by the endless insane payment schemes will end badly for this company.
You can almost hear the patter of feet scurrying toward the exits.

#8 stormy

stormy

Film Critic

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE (stormy @ Jul 31 2011, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's right Moviestorm should be paying the users.
With iclone 5 on the horizon Moviestorm is destined for the scrapheap.
The experiment to creatively herd and alienate users by the endless insane payment schemes will end badly for this company.
You can almost hear the patter of feet scurrying toward the exits.

I also think that "AFTER DARK" is a diversion to stop the user from reflecting on what's being done to them in
"Broad Daylight" by the payment schemes.Well, I suppose I'm not being fair.
The loving must be good as enough cheerleaders keep going back for more.

#9 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:56 AM

Yeah I suppose just paying outrageous sums for the program and content is so much better. Having a subscription that's affordable and you can drop and re-use at your convenience is just ridiculous in comparison.

#10 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:56 AM

Yes, that is sarcasm.

#11 Chris Ollis

Chris Ollis

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1626 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:12 AM

I can't tell if Stormy's comments are genuine or sarcasm, the iclone bit sounds real but then the after dark thing makes it sound like a conspiracy theory joke.
Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

#12 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 4772 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:35 AM

Well he has made various references to AD in past posts but he also made some good points about the subscription plans at the time they changed. So I suspect it is just frustration finally boiling over.
It would be interesting to see what he has produced with his "5000 dollars" worth of i-Clone assets though.
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

#13 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9170 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:52 PM

I have over $1000 worth of Iclone 4 Pro software, animations, props, etc and I still prefer Moviestorm. It is just more fun to use and now with being able to make animated props, it is better than Iclone. Iclone is a memory hog and is very slow. It sometimes takes hours to render a couple of minute clip with Iclone 4 Pro even on a fast machine like I have. As I have said before our animations are smoother and more graceful and also with Iclone they don't have any transition animations so a puppet just goes from one animation to another and it doesn't look as good as with Moviestorm.

#14 jaret

jaret

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:45 AM

So I have been a registered user forever, but was unable to make any videos due to a very slow computer. I recently ordered a new computer, and came to check on moviestorm. I was less than happy to learn about it costing money now, but that's just the way things are, I guess. Now, I'm fine with paying for a product, but I have a few comments:

1) There subscriptions are not cheap. $8.00 doesn't seem like much, but you can get netflix for that price. It does add up.
2) The subscription method. It's awful that something I am paying for isn't actually mine and is just rented. However, this is understandable, just like point 1 is.

Now, the real thing that bugs me.

3) There are still content packs. For a subscription, you should get the content packs free. I hate the idea of having to buy something, but then I can't use it due to the actual programming making me subscribe. I know there is the option of buying the thing outright, but $200+ for a video game is ridiculous. This is a video game, and it should not cost such a huge amount of money.

As for everyone comparing this to things like iclone and saying they aren't cheaper, I just want to point out that you're right. But they are overpriced to begin with. Moviestorm made sense when you got the base thing free, but had to buy additional content. It was fine. Now, it's just a way of alienating all but the most hardcore...

And, BTW, there is no excuse to only having a 7 day trial. How does that give anyone the time to use it and make a movie?

And I'll probably get attacked for this completely reasonable post.

#15 kkffoo

kkffoo

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 3245 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:53 AM

Jaret ...I just checked through your previous posts on the board and it looks like you've had friendly responses, I'm not sure why you would think this would be otherwise?

I think video games can afford to price low if they have a lot of sales, non game machinima is more of a niche market.

#16 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9170 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:30 PM

Janet, I am sorry you feel this way. Moviestorm isn't a game, it is film making software. I made enough money this year to buy several copies of Moviestorm so this can be a lucrative business. Why not buy the $75 lifetime subscription. It comes with one addon that you can choose and you still have to buy addons but you can also rent them very inexpensively and there are lots of modders who make props, animated characters and new animations and costumes for the characters for free.

Start off small and see what you an do with it. I make all my own props now although I have all the addon packs and buy anything they come up with as well as all of Chris Ollis' addon pack from http://moddingstorm.co.uk.

I would not be where I am today if it were not for Moviestorm. I am on IMDB. I make commercial movies and I have had movies on TV. And I started out as a beginner with film making.

#17 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE (jaret @ Aug 3 2011, 01:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And I'll probably get attacked for this completely reasonable post.

I hope not. Reasonable comments should be met in a mutual manner smile.gif

I do disagree on parts or have comments on parts of what you said, so if you don't mind I'd like to share them.

1) You're right, in time they do add up. However, it does with Netflix as well, and with Netflix you can only watch what others have made. With MS you can be the director, so if you're the creative type that $8.00 has a greater inherent value.

2) I had the same concern when the subscription model first came out, but my opinion changed. Look at it this way...if you made a real movie and rented a studio, props, wardrobe, etc. and hired actors, you don't own any of it. But you would own what you made with it.
With MS you own content you buy. What you rent is the core program. I know the main sticking point there is owning content but not being able to use it without subscribing. That is precisely why MS created the option to purchase the program. Renting is not the only option, and honestly, the cost of buying the program and all the content is much cheaper then getting the same amount from iClone, and the learning curve is much better (and potential aside, overall I've seen better results with MS).

3) I had the same opinion at first. According to Matt and other staffers, the reason it is this way is because of funding development. The rental fee funds development, sales of content funds content development.
MS was never meant to be a hobby for the people making it. It's always been a business. There are a lot of talented people involved in making it, and they do so to make their own living. If no one pays for the product, no one gets paid to develop it, and there is no product. So if they don't make money on content, should they use rental fees for developing content and the core program? I can't help but think both would suffer.
My main point of contention though, is saying MS is a video game. To paraphrase you, this is not a video game. There is not a single element of gameplay involved, which is I would think required in a game.
This is a dedicated moviemaking software, just like iClone, just like some more expensive programs used by professional studios. It's no more a game then your internet browser. Actually less so. You can play games using your browser. You can't do the same using MS.

You're last bit, the base program was free only so long as it was in beta. Nearly every software company that releases open betas do so for free and then charge for the software once it's at a full build. Should they all keep it free too?

Just trying to give a little perspective smile.gif

I do agree with what you have to say about the trial period. It should be longer.

#18 jaret

jaret

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:12 AM

Well, I'm quite happy I wasn't jumped on. I guess it was just most people's "HAV TWO PAI!?! WHA!?!?" posts that get the sarcasm. Anyway, I completely missed the $75.00 lifetime membership, so that's actually really decent.

I agree with some points you guys have made, and yes, they do deserve and need to make money to maintain minecraft. The buying additional stuff also makes sense. One thing that makes me still semi-mad is that the actual program doesn't come with many options for stuff. I haven't used it since it turned to a paid thing, but I remember the beta was pretty limited with props and such. I believe that there needs to be more added into the core experience if it hasn't changed. I do like that you can choose which sets to rent, but it's nice to have that bit of extra content that comes with the original game. I know there are subscriptions still that do this, but they seem kind of steep in my opinion.

What I do disagree with is this not being classified as a "game". It's sort of similar to LittleBigPlanet in that regard of you creating things with the game. While not totally the same, I would consider both to be games. Of course, the classification really makes no difference to me.

Now, I feel like being positive. I think the subscription model actually isn't too bad. There are many times when you use something for a month, then don't touch it for a long time, then come back to it. This allows you to only pay for a month when you will actually use it. It's kind of a great idea.

What I would love, though, is for it to be "rent to buy". There has got to be people that use it for months and realize they should have got the lifetime subscription earlier on because they want to keep using it. The months you've rented, I believe, should work toward actually getting the lifetime subscription. It would also make sense to charge a bit more for that, say $90.00 vs. the $75.00 if you decide to get it right away.

Anyway, I might see about subscibing. I'll at least make something with the trial, then decide if I feel like continuing on. Thanks for your kind responses!

#19 squirrelygirl

squirrelygirl

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1822 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:36 AM

Hey jaret, I think you'll really like the changes that have been made since the free version. The lighting and the universal head (which can be manipulated a lot) to name two. There is also a bunch of free mods made by users including animations and animated animals. If you haven't been to Moddingstorm you should look at the awesome packs Chris Ollis has made, which includes Superheroes, a SciFi pack, Medieval packs, and Horses among others.

modsnmore_logo.jpg

#20 scripwriter247

scripwriter247

Film Critic

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:19 PM

my out rade is 2.1 is not around any more and i belive moviestorm should 100.00 to buy