skratchmasta
post Jun 10 2011, 2:31 PM
Post #1

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 6,088

Hello Moviestormers!

I have been busy creating a promotional advert for moviestorm to be used as a selling point for us at various events and over the web. We thought what better way of making an advert for moviestorm than a show reel showing all the best 'eye candy' created by YOU! Our valued customers.

This was a great project for me as I actually got a chance to watch everything you guys have produced over the years and my god your a talented bunch!

So here it is for your enjoyment. Moviestorm. In all its glory. Please let me know what you think. I would also welcome suggestions of other movies that could go into it as some clips can be replaced if I find something better.

link: http://www.moviestorm.co.uk/community/inde...p;vid_id=107144
I hope I have credited everyone correctly. If there's anyone missing also, please let me know.

Kind Regards,
Alex

--------------------
Alex Gowland
Moviestorm Ltd.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Jun 10 2011, 4:18 PM
Post #2

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 341

I saw my name in the credits but I didn't recognize any of my mods but then if someone used one in one of their movies and had different lighting, then probably I wouldn't recognize it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
riott007
post Jun 10 2011, 5:31 PM
Post #3

Wannabe film-maker

Group: Members
Member No.: 737

Really nice showcase!

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Jun 10 2011, 7:09 PM
Post #4

Master Director
Group Icon

It is good but it seems a little dark and dramatic. I think you should also do one emphasizing comedy and music. Also you chose a lot of movies from the same people you could have spread it around a bit to include more of the users' movies.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PapaG
post Jun 10 2011, 7:50 PM
Post #5

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,574

I Recommend some of our star Wreck Footage, In particular The Captains Dream

--------------------

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Jun 10 2011, 8:00 PM
Post #6

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (PapaG @ Jun 10 2011, 01:50 PM) *
I Recommend some of our star Wreck Footage, In particular The Captains Dream

Yes I second that. This is one of the best movies made with Moviestorm. Very professional looking.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tkd27
post Jun 10 2011, 11:53 PM
Post #7

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,984

What that video tells me is that I need to step up my game something fierce. Wow.

If you asking for advice, I would say that, as much as I love both Doomiestormand Cut and Shut, the footage from those two movies was really jarring. I would take those out.

But overall it was really beautiful smile.gif

+Quote Post
Harb40
post Jun 11 2011, 7:46 AM
Post #8

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 518

I loved it and reposted on my Facebook page. I have great respect for the majority of those who had their films showcased. All who made it into this clip deserved it.

I know I need to get off my backside and start utilizing the scripts and talents I have in order to get into something like this and have my work showcased.

--------------------
The Harb40 Passion Competition now has it's own website.

+Quote Post
kibishipaul
post Jun 11 2011, 8:16 AM
Post #9

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,578

I agree with Lucinda. It is a dark and dramatic movie, and I love it as it is! laugh.gif

I suppose there's always the option of making a second of these, perhaps using the 'light and frothy' scenes of various movies. That would give an entirely different view of MS capabilities and would provide an interesting contrast.

+Quote Post
Throwaxe
post Jun 11 2011, 9:49 AM
Post #10

Wannabe film-maker

Member No.: 886

So much talent in a single compilation, it's mind-boggling.
A truly great showcase and a humbling experience to watch.

--------------------
"The more you reason the less you create." - Raymond Chandler

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Jun 11 2011, 4:09 PM
Post #11

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (kibishipaul @ Jun 11 2011, 02:16 AM) *
I agree with Lucinda. It is a dark and dramatic movie, and I love it as it is! laugh.gif

I suppose there's always the option of making a second of these, perhaps using the 'light and frothy' scenes of various movies. That would give an entirely different view of MS capabilities and would provide an interesting contrast.

That is what is difficult about doing advertising because you can't just think of what you like, but what the public will like to see and who you want to draw to your product. This show reel seems very aimed toward a male audience and also gamers. Now I don't know what venues they are showing this at but they need more of these for different audiences. Personally, I prefer, mystery, action, adventure and crime in the movies, shows I watch and the books I read so this type of show reel appeals to me. I am not big on comedy and musicals myself but that is unusual. However, I do really like Richard Poshard's writing and that is why I did The Man from Schenectady but it is action/adventure, mystery and comedy. It might be because the comedy TV shows are not as good as they used to be, nor are the comedy movies.

--------------------

+Quote Post
quasimodder
post Jun 11 2011, 4:15 PM
Post #12

Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 14,019

Perhaps be adding some hats workings?

--------------------

+Quote Post
iceaxe
post Jun 11 2011, 5:07 PM
Post #13

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,592

What a great idea - and you've done a great job of pulling it together. I think the transitions between the clips work well.

The dramatic, moody feel is great. I think that Moviestorm really lends itself well to those kinds of movies and if this is to be a promo reel then you definately want to play to your strengths.

Great job! And it's an honour to have my movies included in there, it's obvious looking at the other clips that you had more than enough content from other directors!

smile.gif

[edit] So that's three "great"s. You can tell I like it! [/edit]

--------------------

+Quote Post
post Jun 13 2011, 1:13 AM
Post #14

Critically acclaimed

Member No.: 6,307

Two small words- "kick-ass editing!"

+Quote Post
corthew
post Jun 13 2011, 1:49 AM
Post #15

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,729

QUOTE (162 @ Jun 12 2011, 09:13 PM) *
Two small words- "kick-ass editing!"

Technically that's three words.wink.gif

A hyphenated word composed of two distinct words is two words.

We call it a hyphenated word, singular, but its still two words hyphenated.

For example, two word numbers below one hundred are hyphenated.

Twenty-two, Thirty-six.

Ok. School's out now. smile.gif

--------------------
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

+Quote Post
rgr
post Jun 13 2011, 3:21 AM
Post #16

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 613

This was cool. It reminds me of the film Keith recently did:

http://www.moviestorm.co.uk/community/inde...p;vid_id=107020

Highly recommended viewing!

rgr

+Quote Post
kkffoo
post Jun 13 2011, 7:04 AM
Post #17

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 283

I've been waivering for a few days wondering what's wrong with this. It's a perfectly adequate showreel, with some great footage showing moviestorm at its graphical best....but its a bit boring (and the films it draws from aren't in themselves dull, so something has gone awry)

The reel seems to be about showing the graphical potential of moviestorm...if that's what it IS then ignore this...

Even in MICRO clips with no dialogue you need to show character, conflict and drama, or at least mix those clips in with the action...this is what draws audiences in...and as a consequence this is what draws film makers in.

Close up explosion, our hero running, agonised face, washington in flames, space alien, screaming woman, hero grabs woman.

I know I am being picky because showreels often are a bit dull, but what if this was the trailer for the 'the ride of your life', 'an exciting adventure in machinima'?

What if cut into the footage you had a live clip of Iceaxe with a sentence about what it meant to him to show a film at atopic, or Chatnoir reflecting on her writers awards. machinima changes people's lives, it's a BIG deal....you know, inspire people.

--------------------

+Quote Post
skratchmasta
post Jun 13 2011, 10:34 AM
Post #18

Master Director
Group Icon

Thank you all for your kind words! I just hope I've done all your work justice. This will be a great movie to show off to potential clients, re-sellers and users.

Lucinda, The mod that you created is the cityscape from Scripter's 'Boom'.

You are indeed correct TKD27. Doomiestorm and cut and shut where the movies I was umming and ahhing about the most. Mainly because of the grainy quality. It would be a shame to take out Doomiestorm as its something gaming nerds could instantly recognize. I would be tempted to keep it in if I had a higher quality version. (I'm looking at you Phil!) wink.gif

As for PapaG's Star Wreck and Kieth Lawrence's The wonderful world of Moviestorm. These are prime candidates to replace them. I shall have a play with them ASAP to get them implemented into it. Great suggestions! I knew there were some that slipped the net.

This movie is not really aimed at one particular audience. Even if it comes across as such. The goal of it was to have a compilation of the best cinematic visuals to catch peoples eye and say wow, I really want that. We have taken it to an educational event already and has blown everyone away. I think it does the job so I'm happy. Although it could do with a few tweaks here and there. maybe a bit more romance?

Sorry you thought it was boring Kate. Optimistic as always I see? wink.gif I thought I did slip in a few clips of emotional drama as well as action. I just shaped the clips around the mood of the music. Starting off slow paced and moody peaking to the 'epic' action when the music reaches its climax. I will definitely take your criticisms on board and use them to make it better. Remember I'm not really trying to sell this to machinima professionals, but educators inexperienced in film making so that they go that's amazing! Give me a 100 seat license stat! I Hope you like the next version.
Thanks again everyone

Kind Regards,
Alex

--------------------
Alex Gowland
Moviestorm Ltd.

+Quote Post
kkffoo
post Jun 13 2011, 12:14 PM
Post #19

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 283

I'm sorry if you think I am permanently gloomy Skratch tongue.gif , I'll take that as it was probably meant though..as an *ouch*.

--------------------

+Quote Post
skratchmasta
post Jun 13 2011, 12:46 PM
Post #20

Master Director
Group Icon

Not at all Kate no offence intended and I very much value your criticisms. Just being my playful self smile.gif

On a higher note, the movie seems to be having a good impact. http://cyberhermit.com/?p=9189

--------------------
Alex Gowland
Moviestorm Ltd.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: