• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 D.L. Watson

D.L. Watson

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 557 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:21 AM

Hey Moviestorm pals. So I'm working up a sweat to get TGP done by March 21st, 2012. I'm also hoping to get a big chunk finished in time for the Machinima Expo. Anyways, I go into more detail about all this in a blog I wrote on my site. Read it here if you wish.

Instead of boring you with text, I thought I just shoot out some screenshots. And so, here you go.

Enjoy

And if your a new TMOA person here who doesnt know what The Grey People is, it's a machinima that I have been working on for several years now. It's become the running gag that it will never be finished. I'll show them. smile.gif

The film is about 3% finished.

#2 D.L. Watson

D.L. Watson

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 557 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:21 AM

Some more screenshots because MS forums would not let me post all these together for some reason.

#3 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 4846 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:32 AM

Hi D.L. So are you definitely (maybe) using Moviestorm for it now? laugh.gif
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

#4 D.L. Watson

D.L. Watson

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 557 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Jun 20 2011, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi D.L. So are you definitely (maybe) using Moviestorm for it now? laugh.gif

Definitely using Moviestorm. smile.gif

#5 keithlawrence

keithlawrence

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1110 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:09 PM

Great looking screenshots, D.L

#6 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (D.L. Watson @ Jun 20 2011, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Definitely using Moviestorm. smile.gif

...for now wink.gif

Looks great so far! Can't wait to see it smile.gif

#7 ArthurVKuhrmeier

ArthurVKuhrmeier

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 492 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:42 AM

Yep, looks great. And I see good chances you might finish "The Grey People". You managed to color them. biggrin.gif No really, fantastic ambient. smile.gif

#8 D.L. Watson

D.L. Watson

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 557 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:15 AM

First scene rendered and archived! 3 minutes down. 37 minutes to go!

#9 D.L. Watson

D.L. Watson

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 557 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:11 AM

Another update. Because of the nature of how the film is being made (with all the layers of visualfx), the film will also cater to those wanting to see the film in 3D.

#10 zwarren

zwarren

Wannabe film-maker

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (D.L. Watson @ Jun 20 2011, 07:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Moviestorm pals. So I'm working up a sweat to get TGP done by March 21st, 2012. I'm also hoping to get a big chunk finished in time for the Machinima Expo. Anyways, I go into more detail about all this in a blog I wrote on my site. Read it here if you wish.

Instead of boring you with text, I thought I just shoot out some screenshots. And so, here you go.

Enjoy

And if your a new TMOA person here who doesnt know what The Grey People is, it's a machinima that I have been working on for several years now. It's become the running gag that it will never be finished. I'll show them. smile.gif

smile.gif I read your blog post ..
I appreciate your honesty. Real honesty is very provocative and relatable and if most of us were open and honest we'd admit that all of us have done and experienced what you are in terms of stating goals aloud and having to change things because we acquire new info as we go. I believe your final project will be even more astonishing as a result of what you have learned during the entire process of making this movie and I can't wait to see it! It's amazing what we go through to 'give birth' to our projects. Your screen shots look amazing!

#11 D.L. Watson

D.L. Watson

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 557 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:39 AM

Well, because of a small harddrive glitch (3rd one since I began working on TGP in 2008), I've had to completely re-shoot the opening of the film.

It actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise as I've greatly improved on the scenes and added a few things.

One of things I'm doing different altogether is using After Effects to handle alot of the visualfx. 95% of the films is shot inside of Moviestorm and I use AE for coloring, effects, cam-shake, and distortions.

Some people don't realize that the original version of TGP I released in 09 did not have a single After Effects shot in it. Everything was done inside of Sony Vegas. Oh the memories.

Here is an example of how After Effects his helping set the tone of the film.

#12 D.L. Watson

D.L. Watson

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 557 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:01 AM

Here are a few more screenshots from recent progress. Enjoy.

(Soon to be a spectacular visualfx landscape that makes the main character whisper "My God..."

Hope everyone has a great week!

#13 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 4846 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:14 AM

Wow!

"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

#14 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:52 PM

Impressive, padawan!

#15 chatnoirstudios

chatnoirstudios

Director

• Pioneers
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:05 AM

QUOTE (D.L. Watson @ Jun 20 2011, 07:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now you can still get that remaining 97% done in the time that it took you to finish the 3%. smile.gif

Glad to know you are partly aiming for the Machinima Expo as well!

TGP will be awesome.

Chat Noir Studios online: Blog, Facebook, Twitter

#16 D.L. Watson

D.L. Watson

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 557 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:45 AM

Well, I've hit a milestone today in the production. I've finished the first scene which clocks in about 4 minutes. This is about a third of what I hope to show in the upcoming Machinima-Expo (still working out the details on that).

To celebrate, I thought I share this completed visualfx shot of our main character looking out at a dried out harbor supporting an old rusted city.

Stay tuned!

#17 Armanus

Armanus

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 1532 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:46 PM

That is somewhere beyond awesome, somewhere around amazing and OMFG!!!! wink.gif

#18 D.L. Watson

D.L. Watson

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 557 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:41 AM

On Set Photo! Many of our "effect" shots are actually real-sets built right inside of Moviestorm. I'm working the camera for this shot. smile.gif

#19 D.L. Watson

D.L. Watson

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 557 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:43 AM

On Set Photo! Many of our "effect" shots are actually real-sets built right inside of Moviestorm. I'm working the camera for this shot. smile.gif

#20 D.L. Watson

D.L. Watson

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 557 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:05 PM

So more progress has been made. Some more screenshots to tease you.