Request for an additional bone for puppets

corthew
post Oct 3 2011, 11:30 PM
Post #1

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 11,729

Would it be possible to have a bone that is fixed to the horizontal plane of the grid?

Well, I know its possible of course but is it practical?

Then you could give a bone to a mesh so that it could be attached to the puppet's bone and items that you wanted to move with the puppets like wheelchairs and strollers, etc, could be placed on the mesh.

Also, (and although this goes along with the previous, it would be nice even if the previous is not practical), would it be possible to add an option for the "point at" command to allow a variable amount of elbow bend?

The default could be fully straight with some range of bend as an option.

There are very few reasons a person would ever hold their arm perfectly straight to point at anything.

Also, it would add a touch of realism to things like reaching for an item or to press a button, etc.

--------------------
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
writerly
post Oct 4 2011, 2:15 AM
Post #2

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,540

QUOTE (corthew @ Oct 3 2011, 11:30 PM) *
Then you could give a bone to a mesh so that it could be attached to the puppet's bone and items that you wanted to move with the puppets like wheelchairs and strollers, etc, could be placed on the mesh.

Couldn't you just bone a mesh like that to Spine 1 or something? It would maintain a fixed distance from the body or would there be too much jarring motion?

C

+Quote Post
corthew
post Oct 4 2011, 7:33 AM
Post #3

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (writerly @ Oct 3 2011, 10:15 PM) *
Couldn't you just bone a mesh like that to Spine 1 or something? It would maintain a fixed distance from the body or would there be too much jarring motion?

C

That's what I wonder may make it impractical.

Obviously the skeleton knows where the floor is but could a bone be added to an existing skeleton that maintains a fixed height and remains parallel to the horizontal plane?

Without a major amount of work at least.

--------------------

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Oct 4 2011, 8:07 AM
Post #4

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,534

Rather than a bone, I wonder if you could use an attachment?

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

+Quote Post
corthew
post Oct 4 2011, 2:14 PM
Post #5

Master Director
Group Icon

I was thinking a bone would be required because all of the other bones move in ways that would make an attachment that was suppose to remain on the ground act unnaturally.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben_S
post Oct 4 2011, 2:45 PM
Post #6

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 116

Ironically, the default type of attachment (if there is a child object of a character) behaves much like you request, as opposed to attachments to bones.
We generally discribe the thing you were asking for as the puppets transform. It sort of glides around at floor height as the character animates.

Having now established that what you want is available, I have no ideas for how you could actually use it.

There was a brief period during development where we allowed props to be attached to a character in this way, but I found a lot of ways that this broke Moviestorm, so you dont get to play with it.

--------------------
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

+Quote Post
corthew
post Oct 4 2011, 11:09 PM
Post #7

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Oct 4 2011, 10:45 AM) *
Ironically, the default type of attachment (if there is a child object of a character) behaves much like you request, as opposed to attachments to bones.
We generally discribe the thing you were asking for as the puppets transform. It sort of glides around at floor height as the character animates.

Having now established that what you want is available, I have no ideas for how you could actually use it.

There was a brief period during development where we allowed props to be attached to a character in this way, but I found a lot of ways that this broke Moviestorm, so you dont get to play with it.

So it basically attaches to the puppet's x,y coordinates but not to the actual puppet?

If a bone were attached to that point would it still break MS? Items could then be attached to the bone as they would to any other bone.

Could a skeleton with only the base bone be allowed to duplicate the x,y position of the character without causing problems?

Wishful thinking on my part even if it can be done.smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben_S
post Oct 5 2011, 9:33 AM
Post #8

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 116

QUOTE (corthew @ Oct 4 2011, 11:09 PM) *
So it basically attaches to the puppet's x,y coordinates but not to the actual puppet?

Your definitions appear to have varied somewhat from those used in the code. Attaching to animated bones is the special case; attaching to the puppet is normally just attaching to the puppets transform (ie its position/orientation/scale).
If a bone were attached to that point would it still break MS? Items could then be attached to the bone as they would to any other bone.

It would have to be a 'fake' bone, ie, one generated by the code. I'm not aware of users being able to attach things to arbitary bones at the moment, however.
Could a skeleton with only the base bone be allowed to duplicate the x,y position of the character without causing problems?

There would definatly be problems.
Wishful thinking on my part even if it can be done.smile.gif

Yup.

--------------------
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: