• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nybuild1

nybuild1

Moviegoer

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:01 PM

I'm trying to figure out how to have a character walk into a room with a cup of coffee already in hand. Is there some kind of "glue objects together" that im just not seeing? Thanks in advance. I've been working on this project for a few hours and I think im addicted to this program smile.gif

#2 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:51 PM

QUOTE (nybuild1 @ Nov 1 2011, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm trying to figure out how to have a character walk into a room with a cup of coffee already in hand. Is there some kind of "glue objects together" that im just not seeing? Thanks in advance. I've been working on this project for a few hours and I think im addicted to this program smile.gif

There are several handheld props. If you click on a selected character one of the options should be "Use prop" or something like that. It will give you a selection of props available for your character.

Once a prop is selected there will be a box that allows you to add actions for that prop. Walking into a room with cup in hand is no problem. Sitting it down, (or picking it up for that matter), is the tricky part, usually involving having the character point at an object then disappearing the cup in his hand while unhiding a cup that was already positioned at the appropriate place.

Of course the coffee cup may be part of a content pack...I'm not sure. If you don't see it then maybe someone else will know more.
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

#3 Robear

Robear

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 304 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:48 AM

QUOTE (nybuild1 @ Nov 1 2011, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been working on this project for a few hours and I think im addicted to this program smile.gif

Welcome to the addiction. wink.gif

#4 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4761 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:01 AM

There are no anims for the coffee mug for standing poses, I'm afraid (I just added a feature request).
You could maybe use the wineglass (which does have anims for standing poses) - click on the character in the directors view and select 'use prop' to see the different props that they can use.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#5 jimthehermit

jimthehermit

Director

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:35 PM

There's a way:

Put the guy in the scene, make him sit (in a chair, sofa), give him a coffee cup and get him to hold it,

Then DELETE the sitting down park in the timeline. The character will disapear, so put him back anywhere on set and at any point in the timeline. He will appear sitting down in the air with the coffee cup.

Now tell him to move to position and he'll walk there holding the cup.

Unfortunately, when he stops moving he'll go back to the sitting in the air position, but you can cut that part out in the edit room.

#6 primaveranz

primaveranz

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 4823 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE (jimthehermit @ Dec 1 2011, 03:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's a way:

Does that really work? In which case I think you deserve a prize for "Workaround of the Month"! wink.gif
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

#7 jimthehermit

jimthehermit

Director

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:53 AM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Nov 30 2011, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does that really work? In which case I think you deserve a prize for "Workaround of the Month"! wink.gif

Yep, and during the walk, the guy can do all the animations with the coffee cup, sip, lean forward, look left, slouch, etc., and they will only effect the upper body.

#8 corthew

corthew

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 2357 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:27 AM

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Nov 30 2011, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I second that nomination!

Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.