reflections

andy_price
post Nov 8 2011, 8:31 PM
Post #1

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 8,442

I was just wandering if it possible to make a texture reflective, I am not talking about mirrors etc, I am thinking more of polished surfaces etc

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris Ollis
post Nov 9 2011, 7:44 AM
Post #2

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 5

QUOTE (andy_price @ Nov 8 2011, 08:31 PM) *
I was just wandering if it possible to make a texture reflective, I am not talking about mirrors etc, I am thinking more of polished surfaces etc

A reflection is a reflection whether it is at 100% like a mirror or a diffused 2% of a dull plastic surface. The code required is pretty much the same to achieve both, so no, it can't be done at the moment.

Faked reflections (reflecting a non changing image) can be done in the same way as you see in the dressing room background and on the character's eyes, but that obviously doesn't reflect the actors in the scene, or the scene itself accurately.

--------------------
Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

+Quote Post
corthew
post Jan 19 2012, 9:35 AM
Post #3

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,729

QUOTE (Chris Ollis @ Nov 9 2011, 03:44 AM) *
Faked reflections (reflecting a non changing image) can be done in the same way as you see in the dressing room background and on the character's eyes, but that obviously doesn't reflect the actors in the scene, or the scene itself accurately.

Another way to fake reflection, although I haven't tried this in MS yet, would be to set a camera in the position of the reflective object pointed in the direction the reflected area would be from the perspective of the final render, and render the full scene then project that onto the reflective object for your next render.

If you were really adventurous and wanted a realistic looking mirror you could create a reverse room next to your set and have it viewable through a small hole in the wall between the two.

Some puppet animations have mirrored animations so it could even be done with live action.

--------------------
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: