Maya vs 3ds Max

primaveranz
post Nov 12 2011, 6:55 AM
Post #1

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 2,534

Can anyone tell me what the essential difference is between these two softwares? Why would you use one rather than the other?

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris Ollis
post Nov 12 2011, 7:26 AM
Post #2

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 5

It's mainly down to what the studio is paying you to use with a little bit of personal choice.

They both do the same things but in slightly different ways, with a few minor omissions here and there.

Some people might say MAX is for product and architectural design, Maya is for games and XSI is for movies, but that really isn't the case. I've only ever worked in Games studios that used MAX, and I have a friend who runs a very successful film studio effects department who only use MAX.

A better question is why do you want to know/what are your specific needs?

--------------------
Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Nov 12 2011, 9:04 PM
Post #3

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 341

I have used both and Maya is easier to learn and easier to use. The Max interface is pretty complex.

--------------------

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Nov 13 2011, 2:24 AM
Post #4

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,534

QUOTE (Chris Ollis @ Nov 12 2011, 07:26 PM) *
A better question is why do you want to know/what are your specific needs?

Well partly I am intrigued why AutoDesk should sell two almost indistinguishable products for exactly the same price and partly I'm hoping to win Lotto wink.gif

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

+Quote Post
Chris Ollis
post Nov 13 2011, 7:27 AM
Post #5

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 5

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Nov 13 2011, 02:24 AM) *
Well partly I am intrigued why AutoDesk should sell two almost indistinguishable products for exactly the same price and partly I'm hoping to win Lotto wink.gif

3 indistinguishable products, they own XSi as well

--------------------
Chris Ollis
Caretaker of www.moddingstorm.co.uk, the one stop shop for all your extra addon needs
Plus Minor Web Celebrity, Viral Guru, Advertising storyboarder, Toy designer, BBC and Channel4 comedy writer/animator :D

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: