4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Moviestorm 1.5 is now LIVE!, The wait is over!!!

daleh
post Dec 11 2011, 6:33 PM
Post #41

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 3,720

QUOTE (luxaeternam @ Dec 11 2011, 05:54 PM) *
I've saved as huffy, but Vegas doesn't want to open it, so I've had to pass files through Format Factory to WMV. It's a bit sucky really. sad.gif
Apart from that I'm quite happy with 1.5 (although it aint much faster)

Huffy requires a codec too, as does any video format that windows have default codecs for, if you search huffy on the web you should fine them, I think they are also part of the K-Lite codec pack.

That said, even though I have huffy codecs, and windows media player will play back the huffy vids MS produces, when i try to import them into vegas the video imports fine but the audio appears as just a short blip, so i am left still having to extract the audio from the huffy file using AoA audio extractor, and then import the audio seperatly into vegas.

This is the exact same issue I have with the default MS Avi render from versions previous to 1.5, and which is still available with 1.5 as a legacy render.

So for me I guess i will stick with what I always did, render out as the old MS default AVI, and extract the audio from it.

I have installe the codecs for Webm and my windows media player will now play webm files perfectly, but neither Vegas or even windows own built in movie editor will even recognise Webm as a video file.

I guess, and hope, its just early days for Webm atm and support for it will slowly grow due to google owning it
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ehughes
post Dec 11 2011, 7:52 PM
Post #42

Master Director

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,948

WebM is far too new for any video editors to support it. I understand that maybe moviestorm ltd did not want to pay the licensing fees to the other companies so that we are able to render the other formats, and that it may be more cost efficient to use WEBM, butthis has created some difficultly for and a lot of extra work and time for moviestorm users. Now we are finding that we not only have to render once, out of moviestorm, but then we are left rendering perhaps, two more times. So a total of 3 rendering sessions to produce the movie. How is this convenient? So we went from having something we can use, to something that is a very troublesome to use. The program is fine, I do love it. But it is very hard to render movies from it, which renders it almost useless.

I was able to edit my movie because I

1.) After rendering to WEBM I,
2.) Uploaded to YOUTUBE
3.) Downloaded from YOUTUBE
4.) Converted from MP4 to WMV
5.) Edited the WMV and converted to mpeg2

How much quality am I losing? How much time did it take? A lot. I think a concession is necessary to make 1.5 a success. Which is to at least, leave the wmv option as it is a standard format that can be used and edited on any machine. With a new format,it could take years for other applications to recognize it so this problem isn't likely to go away any time soon. And I doubt anyone is wanting to pay to upgrade their current video editors so to one that can recognize webm files.

To upload my vegas pro 8 to vegas pro 10 (which may or may not recognize webm) will cost $150 dollars.

+Quote Post
kv
post Dec 11 2011, 10:11 PM
Post #43

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,849

I too haven`t personally noticed a speed increase, but I am still liking it alot and it came just in time for my filming of Your Scrooged.

I have decided to continue using Moviestorms old render format, worked great for me and all I had to do was extract the audio from the AVI since Vegas wouldn`t read it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rgr
post Dec 11 2011, 10:41 PM
Post #44

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 613

QUOTE (ehughes @ Dec 11 2011, 07:52 PM) *
WebM is far too new for any video editors to support it. I understand that maybe moviestorm ltd did not want to pay the licensing fees to the other companies so that we are able to render the other formats, and that it may be more cost efficient to use WEBM, butthis has created some difficultly for and a lot of extra work and time for moviestorm users. Now we are finding that we not only have to render once, out of moviestorm, but then we are left rendering perhaps, two more times. So a total of 3 rendering sessions to produce the movie. How is this convenient? So we went from having something we can use, to something that is a very troublesome to use. The program is fine, I do love it. But it is very hard to render movies from it, which renders it almost useless.

I was able to edit my movie because I

1.) After rendering to WEBM I,
2.) Uploaded to YOUTUBE
3.) Downloaded from YOUTUBE
4.) Converted from MP4 to WMV
5.) Edited the WMV and converted to mpeg2

How much quality am I losing? How much time did it take? A lot. I think a concession is necessary to make 1.5 a success. Which is to at least, leave the wmv option as it is a standard format that can be used and edited on any machine. With a new format,it could take years for other applications to recognize it so this problem isn't likely to go away any time soon. And I doubt anyone is wanting to pay to upgrade their current video editors so to one that can recognize webm files.

To upload my vegas pro 8 to vegas pro 10 (which may or may not recognize webm) will cost $150 dollars.

The WebM project is providing Direct Show filters for Windows, and Quicktime components for Mac. Sony Vegas 8 doesn't support Direct Show, only VFW. But many apps do support direct show (maybe even later versions of Vegas, but I'm not sure about that).

Having said that, I think you can certainly optimize your workflow. You can export from Moviestorm in another format (at least one uncompressed format, albeit with large file sizes, but maybe others?) and edit in Sony, export to mpeg2 (if that's what you prefer) and never need to use WebM unless you want to play videos on prims in Moviestorm. if you do want to play videos inside Moviestorm, you can export from Sony in any high quality format, and convert to WebM using FFMpeg or Miro or a handful of other free tools.

That seems to me like only one additional transcoding, and only if you want to play a video inside moviestorm on a prim.

What is your workflow now (or rather, what was it with 1.4)?

+Quote Post
ehughes
post Dec 12 2011, 12:18 AM
Post #45

Master Director

QUOTE (kv @ Dec 11 2011, 10:11 PM) *
I too haven`t personally noticed a speed increase, but I am still liking it alot and it came just in time for my filming of Your Scrooged.

I have decided to continue using Moviestorms old render format, worked great for me and all I had to do was extract the audio from the AVI since Vegas wouldn`t read it.

how do you go back to the old format? Do you render using the AVI format then extract the audio by other means? Might be something I could try.

+Quote Post
ehughes
post Dec 12 2011, 12:20 AM
Post #46

Master Director

QUOTE (rgr @ Dec 11 2011, 10:41 PM) *
The WebM project is providing Direct Show filters for Windows, and Quicktime components for Mac. Sony Vegas 8 doesn't support Direct Show, only VFW. But many apps do support direct show (maybe even later versions of Vegas, but I'm not sure about that).

Having said that, I think you can certainly optimize your workflow. You can export from Moviestorm in another format (at least one uncompressed format, albeit with large file sizes, but maybe others?) and edit in Sony, export to mpeg2 (if that's what you prefer) and never need to use WebM unless you want to play videos on prims in Moviestorm. if you do want to play videos inside Moviestorm, you can export from Sony in any high quality format, and convert to WebM using FFMpeg or Miro or a handful of other free tools.

That seems to me like only one additional transcoding, and only if you want to play a video inside moviestorm on a prim.

What is your workflow now (or rather, what was it with 1.4)?

Hey, thanks for the response. But I don't understand the question. What do you mean by workflow? Dumb it down for me. The only rendering options available in moviestorm was webm, "huffy" and one AVI option - that never worked in Vegas for me so I never used it. I don't have an editor that will work with huffy files either.

+Quote Post
rgr
post Dec 12 2011, 3:20 AM
Post #47

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 613

QUOTE (ehughes @ Dec 12 2011, 12:20 AM) *
Hey, thanks for the response. But I don't understand the question. What do you mean by workflow? Dumb it down for me. The only rendering options available in moviestorm was webm, "huffy" and one AVI option - that never worked in Vegas for me so I never used it. I don't have an editor that will work with huffy files either.

Your "workflow" is jus the steps you take to get your work done. You mentioned above uploading to youtube only to download from youtube, only to transcode for editing. That's a sub-optimal workflow. It would be ideal if you could just directly edit the files Moviestorm renders, but even if you can't, a single transcode to the editor's required format should be simple to do so you can collapse the youtube upload/download/transcode steps into a single local transcode step. Still not ideal though.

I'll preface everything I'm about to say here with a warning that I don't use Sony Vegas and know very little about it. However, I'm trying to dig around on the internet to find out anything useful.

First, are you sure Sony Vegas doesn't support Huffy? That's a little strange. Maybe somebody from Moviestorm can comment on that. There are many ways to encode to Huffy, so it's possible the encoding MS is using doesn't include all the bits and pieces Vegas needs.

I'm also surprised that the AVI format doesn't work in Vegas (only because that's an old format). I think those are just MPEG4v2, and there is definitely a VideoForWindows codec for that. I *think* Sony Vegas should be able to decode anything you have a VFW codec for, but I'm not sure how Windows and Sony Vegas agree on how to locate them once installed or anything.

If you are willing to get experimental, there is an open source VFW driver for WebM (probably more than one, actually, but at least one I found): http://www.optimasc.com/products/vp8vfw/index.html

I have no idea if that site is trustworthy or not (got the link from sonycreativesoftware.com forums) but it has a 32bit version of a webm codec as a VFW driver. IFF Sony Vegas can use any VFW codec once it's properly installed, then installing a VFW driver for WebM may give you the ability to edit the WebM files Moviestorm produces.

I hope some of this turns out to be useful, or that somebody else can help you more.

Good luck.

EDIT: I just saw this post which may be of greater help in getting the AVI rendered from MS to be directly editable in Vegas:

http://www.moviestorm.co.uk/forums/index.p...ost&p=80005

rgr

+Quote Post
keithlawrence
post Dec 12 2011, 6:05 AM
Post #48

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,321

smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Dec 12 2011, 6:24 AM
Post #49

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,534

RATS! You did it again Keith! Don't follow the link unless you want the collapsed thread view!

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

+Quote Post
skratchmasta
post Dec 12 2011, 10:57 AM
Post #50

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 6,088

Hi Guys,

Bare in mind that the old MPEG4V2 default format is still available in 6mb (ultra) quality. I tend to use that at the moment for taking into editors. We are still investigating the lossless option. HuffyUV was an obvious choice but as the editors don't seem to like it any more so we may reconsider. At least now you've got a lossless option smile.gif.

--------------------
Alex Gowland
Moviestorm Ltd.

+Quote Post
ehughes
post Dec 12 2011, 12:51 PM
Post #51

Master Director

QUOTE (rgr @ Dec 12 2011, 03:20 AM) *
Your "workflow" is jus the steps you take to get your work done. You mentioned above uploading to youtube only to download from youtube, only to transcode for editing. That's a sub-optimal workflow. It would be ideal if you could just directly edit the files Moviestorm renders, but even if you can't, a single transcode to the editor's required format should be simple to do so you can collapse the youtube upload/download/transcode steps into a single local transcode step. Still not ideal though.

I'll preface everything I'm about to say here with a warning that I don't use Sony Vegas and know very little about it. However, I'm trying to dig around on the internet to find out anything useful.

First, are you sure Sony Vegas doesn't support Huffy? That's a little strange. Maybe somebody from Moviestorm can comment on that. There are many ways to encode to Huffy, so it's possible the encoding MS is using doesn't include all the bits and pieces Vegas needs.

I'm also surprised that the AVI format doesn't work in Vegas (only because that's an old format). I think those are just MPEG4v2, and there is definitely a VideoForWindows codec for that. I *think* Sony Vegas should be able to decode anything you have a VFW codec for, but I'm not sure how Windows and Sony Vegas agree on how to locate them once installed or anything.

If you are willing to get experimental, there is an open source VFW driver for WebM (probably more than one, actually, but at least one I found): http://www.optimasc.com/products/vp8vfw/index.html

I have no idea if that site is trustworthy or not (got the link from sonycreativesoftware.com forums) but it has a 32bit version of a webm codec as a VFW driver. IFF Sony Vegas can use any VFW codec once it's properly installed, then installing a VFW driver for WebM may give you the ability to edit the WebM files Moviestorm produces.

I hope some of this turns out to be useful, or that somebody else can help you more.

Good luck.

EDIT: I just saw this post which may be of greater help in getting the AVI rendered from MS to be directly editable in Vegas:

http://www.moviestorm.co.uk/forums/index.p...ost&p=80005

rgr

hey! Thanks for explaining that. AVI files work, even the ones uploaded from digital cameras. The one from Moviestorm had an audio codec packaged into it that caused the audio not to work. So I gave up on that and used wmv files. I'll check into some of the options you mentioned, thanks so much! The workaround I created was a bit tiresome and that was only one video smile.gif

+Quote Post
ms_amos
post Dec 12 2011, 5:34 PM
Post #52

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 6,395

Mac OS-X 10.4 and 10.5 users please read.

We have just made a new patch available for Moviestorm 1.5 that will fix the problems that you have been experiencing with Tiger and Leopard.
Basically, the new video handling system wasn't compatible with your OS, so we have rebuilt it and re-patched the initial upgrade.
Please restart Moviestorm and the patch will automatically update.
Please note that this is a universal fix that will work on later OS's such as Snow Leopard and Lion.

Please accept my apologies for the delay in the update, I hope this resolves all of your problems.

--------------------
Amos Willbond
Creative Producer
Moviestorm Ltd.

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Dec 13 2011, 10:38 PM
Post #53

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 341

Moviestorm 1.5 is working perfectly on my computer but I also have 8 gigs of ram and large hard drive space and this computer is only a few months old. We bought it new in March. I also was able to use the Huffy video with Sony Vegas Pro 8 fine and I am glad about that. This runs faster and better than the old version. All my addons work fine. But then I always said I have this magic computer. LOL

--------------------

+Quote Post
steve3416
post Dec 14 2011, 12:17 AM
Post #54

Director

Member No.: 6,134

Just a quick question. I just did a quick explore to see what is new in the program so I can't comment on any problems or not...however I noticed my shortcut icon on my desktop still says Moviestorm 1.4 as well as the file in my program files instead of 1.5. At first I thought it had not updated correctly and I opened the program but it does say Movistorm 1.5.
I was just wondernig why the shortcut icons and the folders didn't update to say Moviestorm 1.5 on my computer?
Also did you change the icon from the round orange MS icon to a plain square black moviereel icon? I guess I have always been used to seeing the orange icon to click on when I open Moviestorm. It just kind of set it apart from my other icons on my desktop.
As I said...no big deal. Just wondering.
Thanks
Steve

+Quote Post
Ben_S
post Dec 14 2011, 10:24 AM
Post #55

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 116

QUOTE (steve3416 @ Dec 14 2011, 12:17 AM) *
Just a quick question. I just did a quick explore to see what is new in the program so I can't comment on any problems or not...however I noticed my shortcut icon on my desktop still says Moviestorm 1.4 as well as the file in my program files instead of 1.5. At first I thought it had not updated correctly and I opened the program but it does say Movistorm 1.5.
I was just wondernig why the shortcut icons and the folders didn't update to say Moviestorm 1.5 on my computer?
Also did you change the icon from the round orange MS icon to a plain square black moviereel icon? I guess I have always been used to seeing the orange icon to click on when I open Moviestorm. It just kind of set it apart from my other icons on my desktop.
As I said...no big deal. Just wondering.
Thanks
Steve

You can safely rename your shortcut, but it is not easily accessible for the patch (the shortcuts are kept in your start menu, rather than within the program files folder for Moviestorm).

And yes, the icon has changed.

--------------------
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

+Quote Post
Reggie MetalFox
post Dec 14 2011, 7:54 PM
Post #56

Film Critic

Member No.: 3,343

The only player I could find that plays them on my computer is media player classic. I use Vegas too and they won't load in my version either, but I did find a work around suggested by Ben. I downloaded Miro, which is free, then I render the movies using the Huffy (Lossless) setting, which does render a pretty big file (around 796 MB for a minute and a half) then I use Miro to turn the file into an MP4. There is very little loss of quality and the MP4s load into Vegas with sound and picture. I know it's not perfect, but it's the best work around I've found so far.

Same for me about HuffYUV (Lossless) in Vegas 9. It would be so great that if we could use it directly without compression to MP4...
For me, the rendering is the only bad thing about MS 1.5. I only can use the rendering AVI MSMPEG4 (Legacy) directly in Vegas, and the quality is not as good as it was in MS 1.4 (specially when the camera moves, what a lot of aliasing blink.gif ).

I wanted to participate to the I Fight Dragons contest, I hope to find something for using HuffYUV in Vegas juste in time... sad.gif Maybe somebody make it already ? Please help tongue.gif .

--------------------
Red (french MS Machinima) : Red (version courte)

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Dec 14 2011, 8:07 PM
Post #57

Master Director
Group Icon

[quote name='Reggie MetalFox' date='Dec 14 2011, 01:54 PM' post='84994']
Same for me about HuffYUV (Lossless) in Vegas 9. It would be so great that if we could use it directly without compression to MP4...
For me, the rendering is the only bad thing about MS 1.5. I only can use the rendering AVI MSMPEG4 (Legacy) directly in Vegas, and the quality is not as good as it was in MS 1.4 (specially when the camera moves, what a lot of aliasing blink.gif ).

I wanted to participate to the I Fight Dragons contest, I hope to find something for using HuffYUV in Vegas juste in time... sad.gif Maybe somebody make it already ? Please help tongue.gif .
[/quote

That is strange because I have Sony Vegas Pro 8 and the Huffy video loads just fine. The sound doesn't load but that is fine as I redo all my voice overs in film editing and I add all the sound effects and music there too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
daleh
post Dec 14 2011, 8:28 PM
Post #58

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,720

QUOTE (Reggie MetalFox @ Dec 14 2011, 07:54 PM) *

For huffy to work on your computer at all you need to install the codec for it, this can be found as a seperate codec if you search web a bit and also its part of the K-Lite codec pack.

Windows only comes with so many default codecs, for any others to work, in any program on your comp, you need to install the codec.

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Dec 14 2011, 11:38 PM
Post #59

Master Director
Group Icon

Daleh, as far as I know I have not installed any codecs on my computer but the Huffy video opens just fine in Sony Vegas Pro 8. I also discovered something else. For the last part of this scene, I made sure the characters did not watch the girl talking, and the audio also imported. So try that, click off "look at me when I am talking" and see if the audio imports as well as the video. As to why the Huffy imports to my Sony Vegas, it might be that the Sony Vegas 8 is compatible with Huffy but the version 9 isn't.

--------------------

+Quote Post
corthew
post Dec 15 2011, 12:11 AM
Post #60

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,729

I've just been playing around with the terrain editor. Its amazing!

I love the sizeability of the brush as well as the strength and hardness although I haven't really looked at what the difference is between those last two. I suspect strength is how fast it applies the paint out from the center and hardness is how gradual the falloff is from the edges but I'll check it more later.

My only problem is the absence of undo-ability for the terrain changes. I've forgotten to change the size of the brush for smaller details after having adjusted the strength and hardness, and had to repaint an area again as a result.

Worse is if I've added or removed items on set prior to painting the terrain. I'll try to make a habit of being done with the terrain before adding items but I can foresee times when I'll need the items in place to establish dimensions for hills and mountains and streams, etc.

I'm assuming that the terrain editor is like a subroutine that is handled separately from the rest of the set workshop options but I'm hoping this will be something that is integrated to the undo function at some point in the future. At least while the terrain editor is active. That way I won't accidentally be deleting or undeleting changes I didn't want to.smile.gif

This is all about me of course but I'm sure everyone will breath easier when undo is implemented for this otherwise awesome addition to MS!

smile.gif

--------------------
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: