Reply to this topicStart new topic
Have been given permission by an author, I need your help guys

trina81
post Dec 10 2011, 11:47 PM
Post #1

Wannabe film-maker

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,972

I have recently been in contact with an author, who I messaged recently, about making an animation series on his book (Amy Peppercorn starry eyed and screaming, I really want to make this work I've followed his books for a time and I found him the author of the book I have the messages as proof but I'm not sure how this would work, I have the permission to go ahead with it I really need some advice as I am not sure about the copywrite although this author has messaged me after a long time searching for him, and I have the messages also he has added me on facebook. I know it has been confirmed but I am at a loss if I can do this or not and if so what proof do I need?, I need someone to mail me asap so I can start on the series, I just need to know that it is ok to do so from moviestorm.
Thank you so much and if proof is needed I have that,
trina 81
ps I wll need so much support while making this series thank you.This is an opportunity for me and my voice actors/actresses.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Dec 11 2011, 2:58 AM
Post #2

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 341

You need to get this in writing and also see what his agreement will be if you are able to sell this movie. If this is a well known author, you will have no problems getting it listed on IMDB and that is a start to selling a movie. Usually I make an agreement to split all profits 50/50 with the author of a script.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rampa
post Dec 11 2011, 3:27 AM
Post #3

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,235

Does the author hold the copyright? If a publisher owns it you may have a bit harder time.

+Quote Post
Armanus
post Dec 11 2011, 5:44 AM
Post #4

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,721

Yes, you will need to know if this author is self-published, meaning he would hold copyright, or if he is going through a publisher, which means they would have the copyright. If anyone other then the author has a copyright then you will need to get permission from the copyright holder as well.

I would recommend getting everything in writing. Emails and messages are good, but a written agreement goes much further in the legal system, assuming things got there of course.

--------------------

+Quote Post
trina81
post Dec 20 2011, 4:15 PM
Post #5

Wannabe film-maker

Member No.: 16,972

QUOTE (Armanus @ Dec 11 2011, 05:44 AM) *
Yes, you will need to know if this author is self-published, meaning he would hold copyright, or if he is going through a publisher, which means they would have the copyright. If anyone other then the author has a copyright then you will need to get permission from the copyright holder as well.

I would recommend getting everything in writing. Emails and messages are good, but a written agreement goes much further in the legal system, assuming things got there of course.
Yeah he does hold the copyright does this mean i can go ahead with it?

+Quote Post
Armanus
post Dec 20 2011, 8:30 PM
Post #6

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,721

As long as you have his permission and he holds the rights to it there really isn't anything stopping you. To cover yourself you might want to have the permission and whatever agreements you made in writing, although that certainly isn't required for you to go ahead with it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
aroundworld
post Dec 22 2011, 10:26 PM
Post #7

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 21,633

HI Trina81,

As Lucinda mentioned, get his permission in writing and make sure expectations are understood by each party. Sharing any monies generated 50/50 is a simple agreement with out fine print, but make sure it's understood that this agreement works across all markets, not just England.

--------------------
There is no try, only do or do not.

+Quote Post
jamesmackie123
post Jan 1 2012, 4:32 AM
Post #8

Film Critic

Member No.: 20,336

Find out when the book was published and what country the copyright resides. A copyright usually lasts 50 to 70 years after thje author has died. I am not sure how long in the States. Go to the Library of Congrsess site and find out same for the British Library. For example Charles Dicken's works are now in the public domain becasue the author died over a huindred yers ago. In certain countries such as Britain and the USA copyright runs our after so many years. So find out either from the publisher or go to your local library. Best of luck. and have a Happy New year. from Jim mackie

--------------------
James Mackie

+Quote Post
madasingerjr
post Feb 18 2012, 9:59 PM
Post #9

Moviegoer

Member No.: 5,271

Good luck with your project! If you need voice actors, I'd be glad to help out.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: