Huffyuv issues?

corthew
post Dec 24 2011, 1:39 AM
Post #1

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 11,729

I've never used Huffyuv before but I thought I'd give it a try due to what WebM looks like after being uploaded to MS.

It won't open in Media player. Classic plays a black screen.

Blender plays it with a rainbow of colors from the bottom to about 1/4 of the way up then everything above that looks fine.

Virtualdub gives this as the possible reason it can't open it:

An out-of-bounds memory access (access violation) occurred in module 'VirtualDub'...
...reading address 06B25000...
...while decompressing video frame 0 (VideoSource.cpp:2141)...
...while using input buffer at 06940020-06b24b53 (VideoSource.cpp:2140)...
...while using output buffer at 05ec0080-066a9083 (VideoSource.cpp:2139).

Again, this is the first time I've ever used it. I did install the K-Lite codec pack, 32bit since MS is 32bit.

Vdub is also 32bit.

I'm not sure about Blender but again, it played it...just with the rainbow where the bottom 1/4 of the image should have been.

Anyone seen this before and/or know how to fix it?

Edit: I just downloaded that VLC player and it plays it the way Blender does with the rainbow.

--------------------
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
corthew
post Dec 24 2011, 3:25 AM
Post #2

Master Director
Group Icon

Update, the above situation occurs at 1920x1080 resolution.

It looks fine at 1280x720.

Is huffyuv just not any good at 1080?

Is it a problem in MS that was overlooked?

Is plum pudding better or worse than figgy pudding?

My curiosity on these topics will not be bridled!

smile.gif

--------------------

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

+Quote Post
JMZ
post Feb 6 2012, 8:18 PM
Post #3

Wannabe film-maker

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,963

QUOTE (corthew @ Dec 24 2011, 03:25 AM) *
Update, the above situation occurs at 1920x1080 resolution.

It looks fine at 1280x720.

Is huffyuv just not any good at 1080?

Is it a problem in MS that was overlooked?

Is plum pudding better or worse than figgy pudding?

My curiosity on these topics will not be bridled!

smile.gif

Corthew,

I had the same issues when rendering huffYUV. It might be something with the 1920 x 1080 aspect ratio. I'm a bit greedy when it comes to resolution as I'm working on a project that will (hopefully) be projected on a large screen. I'm willing to live with 1280 x 720 if it allows full resolution. But hopefully someone will answer what the "rainbow stripe" issue and give a fix in the near future.

+Quote Post
Ben_S
post Feb 7 2012, 10:30 AM
Post #4

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 116

1920x1080 huffyuv files would be very large, and possibly problematic to play directly.
Is your screen large enough to generate those from Moviestorm? The rainbow effect at the bottom sounds like something that is generated when you are rendering with part of the image offscreen.

Are the problems with uploading movies to our site ongoing? I had thought we had made changes to fix the encoding so that only the encoding.com version appeared (and was not overwritten by a low quality one).

--------------------
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

+Quote Post
JMZ
post Feb 12 2012, 6:20 AM
Post #5

Wannabe film-maker

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,963

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Feb 7 2012, 10:30 AM) *
1920x1080 huffyuv files would be very large, and possibly problematic to play directly.
Is your screen large enough to generate those from Moviestorm? The rainbow effect at the bottom sounds like something that is generated when you are rendering with part of the image offscreen.

Are the problems with uploading movies to our site ongoing? I had thought we had made changes to fix the encoding so that only the encoding.com version appeared (and was not overwritten by a low quality one).

Large files aren't a problem on my computer as it's the one I use for my video editing work. Dual multi-core processors and 16GB of RAM plus a workstation video card. Turns out (thus far...) it have been the fact Moviestorm was running in a window (turned that off) and it wasn't running at 1920 x 1080. My monitor has a higher native resolution that I never really change. But once I ran Moviestorm full screen and changed things to 1920 x 1080 while rendering all files seem to be fine in HuffYUV.

I'll export a few more scenes to test this completely.

+Quote Post
corthew
post Feb 12 2012, 6:09 PM
Post #6

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (JMZ @ Feb 12 2012, 02:20 AM) *
I'll export a few more scenes to test this completely.

Export longer scenes. I thought I'd solved it by taking it out of windowed mode but my test had been with a shorter video.

This has to be a problem within MS's renderer for Huffy or with the codecs installed outside of MS that MS uses to encode Huffy.

Interestingly, if the video develops the rainbow bottom it will not play in WMP but VLC plays it fine, albeit with the rainbow.

Ben or someone, does MS rely on external codecs for rendering Huffy or does it supply its own?

If it supplies it's own is it possible to replace it on our end or get it to use a different one?

1920x1080 and as uncompressed as possible is preferred for some projects.

WebM looks good on a monitor but I'm betting at higher resolutions on larger screens the quality difference between that and Huffy is going to be obvious.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben_S
post Feb 13 2012, 11:29 AM
Post #7

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 116

QUOTE (corthew @ Feb 12 2012, 06:09 PM) *
Ben or someone, does MS rely on external codecs for rendering Huffy or does it supply its own?

If it supplies it's own is it possible to replace it on our end or get it to use a different one?

It supplies it's own (that originally came with the ffmpeg source, I presume).
The config files are in [your install]/conf/ffpreset - each of those text files has details used to set the quality and other settings for ffmpeg's rendering. It's not something I know how to fiddle with, though.

--------------------
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: