Photo

The Lagging . . . oh Lawd . . . THE LAGGING!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mrkip2001

mrkip2001

Director

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:41 PM

As someone who has completed a full length series using Moviestorm maybe this is a question I should already know the answer too but I'm going to ask anyway.

Is MS a internet based program? . . . Meaning does it operates by connecting my computer to the Moviestorm program via the internet or is MS actually installed on my system and can be used without a internet connection?

My reason for asking is because I'm noticing that when I first open MS and start on a scene everything works fine and immediately. I do the rotate view command and the view rotates. I do the move here command . . . and yep you guess it . . . the puppet moves.

But give it 10 to 15 minutes and I do the rotate view command and I can go get a sandwich, something to drink, clip my toe nails . . . and maybe (MAYBE) the view has rotated.

And when I give the puppets a command I have time to go wash the car . . . paint a room . . . or write the next great novel. It can even takes 2 to 3 min to simply closed the program so I can get it started back up.

Of course this is dramatizing the length of the lagging, but I have done all I know to do . . . my system runs on a dual 4 GB processor, my graphic card driver is up to date, I went into the program file and changed that file from 500mb to 800mb to allow more memory and I have went through the process of shutting down all programs, while I'm running MS, that I can do on my own safely.

Today I even used the advice "Ben" placed in another topic about moving the MS folder from User folder directly to the "C:\" drive. Yet a I'm still 2 hrs (serious time) into a scene (only a third complete) that should only take no more than 30 - 45 min max to complete.
[K]nowledge [I]s [P]ower

#2 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4731 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (mrkip2001 @ Jan 24 2012, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As someone who has completed a full length series using Moviestorm maybe this is a question I should already know the answer too but I'm going to ask anyway.

Is MS a internet based program? . . . Meaning does it operates by connecting my computer to the Moviestorm program via the internet or is MS actually installed on my system and can be used without a internet connection?

Moviestorm uses the internet for installation, to log in and download your licences, and if you try to buy a content pack you dont currently have. Otherwise, general use doesnt use your internet connection.

My reason for asking is because I'm noticing that when I first open MS and start on a scene everything works fine and immediately. I do the rotate view command and the view rotates. I do the move here command . . . and yep you guess it . . . the puppet moves.

But give it 10 to 15 minutes and I do the rotate view command and I can go get a sandwich, something to drink, clip my toe nails . . . and maybe (MAYBE) the view has rotated.

And when I give the puppets a command I have time to go wash the car . . . paint a room . . . or write the next great novel. It can even takes 2 to 3 min to simply closed the program so I can get it started back up.

Of course this is dramatizing the length of the lagging, but I have done all I know to do . . . my system runs on a dual 4 GB processor, my graphic card driver is up to date, I went into the program file and changed that file from 500mb to 800mb to allow more memory and I have went through the process of shutting down all programs, while I'm running MS, that I can do on my own safely.

Today I even used the advice "Ben" placed in another topic about moving the MS folder from User folder directly to the "C:\" drive. Yet a I'm still 2 hrs (serious time) into a scene (only a third complete) that should only take no more than 30 - 45 min max to complete.

There is definatly some slowdown once Moviestorm had been running for a while, although we have never quite worked out what is causing it so we can fix it.
My recomendations would be to keep your movies as short as possible - you may want to make your scene in sections, saving your set to stock and using it in several movies.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#3 lizarkeo

lizarkeo

Film Critic

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:56 PM

Hey mrkip2001,
I always had the same problem here. In the beginning, I used to wait and wait and wait. Upgraded my hardware, the Moviestorm version and the same old same old.

But now, in the first sign of lagging, I just save and close the program and restart again, and voila, super fast again. Kinda useful to force myself to do some pauses too, heh.

Oh, and I save all the time. And use the "save as" to start new versions sometimes.

Cheers.

#4 sbonsell

sbonsell

Novice director

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Jan 24 2012, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My recomendations would be to keep your movies as short as possible - you may want to make your scene in sections, saving your set to stock and using it in several movies.

How do you save a scene to stock?

#5 ms_amos

ms_amos

Master Director

• Staff
  • 570 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

In the Set Workshop View there is a button marked "Load and Save Stock" in the bottom right of the toolbox. The "Export this set to stock" can be found by clicking this button.
Amos Willbond
Creative Producer
Moviestorm Ltd.

#6 sbonsell

sbonsell

Novice director

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (ms_amos @ Feb 3 2012, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the Set Workshop View there is a button marked "Load and Save Stock" in the bottom right of the toolbox. The "Export this set to stock" can be found by clicking this button.

aha - thanks. Sorry to have messed up the thread a little sad.gif