Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Lagging . . . oh Lawd . . . THE LAGGING!

mrkip2001
post Jan 24 2012, 4:41 PM
Post #1

Director

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,703

As someone who has completed a full length series using Moviestorm maybe this is a question I should already know the answer too but I'm going to ask anyway.

Is MS a internet based program? . . . Meaning does it operates by connecting my computer to the Moviestorm program via the internet or is MS actually installed on my system and can be used without a internet connection?

My reason for asking is because I'm noticing that when I first open MS and start on a scene everything works fine and immediately. I do the rotate view command and the view rotates. I do the move here command . . . and yep you guess it . . . the puppet moves.

But give it 10 to 15 minutes and I do the rotate view command and I can go get a sandwich, something to drink, clip my toe nails . . . and maybe (MAYBE) the view has rotated.

And when I give the puppets a command I have time to go wash the car . . . paint a room . . . or write the next great novel. It can even takes 2 to 3 min to simply closed the program so I can get it started back up.

Of course this is dramatizing the length of the lagging, but I have done all I know to do . . . my system runs on a dual 4 GB processor, my graphic card driver is up to date, I went into the program file and changed that file from 500mb to 800mb to allow more memory and I have went through the process of shutting down all programs, while I'm running MS, that I can do on my own safely.

Today I even used the advice "Ben" placed in another topic about moving the MS folder from User folder directly to the "C:\" drive. Yet a I'm still 2 hrs (serious time) into a scene (only a third complete) that should only take no more than 30 - 45 min max to complete.

--------------------
[K]nowledge [I]s [P]ower
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben_S
post Jan 24 2012, 6:04 PM
Post #2

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 116

QUOTE (mrkip2001 @ Jan 24 2012, 04:41 PM) *
As someone who has completed a full length series using Moviestorm maybe this is a question I should already know the answer too but I'm going to ask anyway.

Is MS a internet based program? . . . Meaning does it operates by connecting my computer to the Moviestorm program via the internet or is MS actually installed on my system and can be used without a internet connection?

Moviestorm uses the internet for installation, to log in and download your licences, and if you try to buy a content pack you dont currently have. Otherwise, general use doesnt use your internet connection.

My reason for asking is because I'm noticing that when I first open MS and start on a scene everything works fine and immediately. I do the rotate view command and the view rotates. I do the move here command . . . and yep you guess it . . . the puppet moves.

But give it 10 to 15 minutes and I do the rotate view command and I can go get a sandwich, something to drink, clip my toe nails . . . and maybe (MAYBE) the view has rotated.

And when I give the puppets a command I have time to go wash the car . . . paint a room . . . or write the next great novel. It can even takes 2 to 3 min to simply closed the program so I can get it started back up.

Of course this is dramatizing the length of the lagging, but I have done all I know to do . . . my system runs on a dual 4 GB processor, my graphic card driver is up to date, I went into the program file and changed that file from 500mb to 800mb to allow more memory and I have went through the process of shutting down all programs, while I'm running MS, that I can do on my own safely.

Today I even used the advice "Ben" placed in another topic about moving the MS folder from User folder directly to the "C:\" drive. Yet a I'm still 2 hrs (serious time) into a scene (only a third complete) that should only take no more than 30 - 45 min max to complete.

There is definatly some slowdown once Moviestorm had been running for a while, although we have never quite worked out what is causing it so we can fix it.
My recomendations would be to keep your movies as short as possible - you may want to make your scene in sections, saving your set to stock and using it in several movies.

--------------------
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

+Quote Post
lizarkeo
post Jan 29 2012, 11:56 PM
Post #3

Film Critic

Member No.: 12,607

Hey mrkip2001,
I always had the same problem here. In the beginning, I used to wait and wait and wait. Upgraded my hardware, the Moviestorm version and the same old same old.

But now, in the first sign of lagging, I just save and close the program and restart again, and voila, super fast again. Kinda useful to force myself to do some pauses too, heh.

Oh, and I save all the time. And use the "save as" to start new versions sometimes.

Cheers.

+Quote Post
sbonsell
post Feb 2 2012, 8:05 PM
Post #4

Novice director

Member No.: 23,744

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Jan 24 2012, 06:04 PM) *
My recomendations would be to keep your movies as short as possible - you may want to make your scene in sections, saving your set to stock and using it in several movies.

How do you save a scene to stock?

+Quote Post
ms_amos
post Feb 3 2012, 10:33 AM
Post #5

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 6,395

In the Set Workshop View there is a button marked "Load and Save Stock" in the bottom right of the toolbox. The "Export this set to stock" can be found by clicking this button.

--------------------
Amos Willbond
Creative Producer
Moviestorm Ltd.

+Quote Post
sbonsell
post Feb 15 2012, 9:22 PM
Post #6

Novice director

Member No.: 23,744

QUOTE (ms_amos @ Feb 3 2012, 10:33 AM) *
In the Set Workshop View there is a button marked "Load and Save Stock" in the bottom right of the toolbox. The "Export this set to stock" can be found by clicking this button.

aha - thanks. Sorry to have messed up the thread a little sad.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: