Reply to this topicStart new topic
If it "AIN'T" one thing its "ANOTHER"!

mrkip2001
post Feb 3 2012, 9:24 PM
Post #1

Director

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,703

Okay, so first of all I'm getting REAL EXCITED about this next season of GHOST because of all the hiccups we're experiencing. We already cancelled the March 14 release . . . don't remember having these many problems when we did the first season and didn't have a clue of what we were doing (smh-lol).

I posted earlier about the lagging and that I was having to save my scenes and continuously restart Moviestorm every 10 min or so.

So after one great scene was completely MS crashed. I thought this is no problem because I had already saved my work several times. However when I attempted to reload my work MS said "file not found". (of course after several attempts to reload the file and enough curse words to make a pirate blush) I search the forum to see if anyone else had to deal with "saved" files suddenly disappearing. I found that Lucinda has started such a topic and followed the advice of changing the name of the bak file. And it WORKED!!!(HOORAY)

Only problem now is MS refuses to render the scene. I've tried all types of things including saving the scene under a different name, and deleting props (hoping MS would see it as a brand new scene); but it still will not render the scene. So any advice would be highly appreciate . . . thanks in advance.

--------------------
[K]nowledge [I]s [P]ower
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Feb 4 2012, 12:40 AM
Post #2

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 341

Glad my idea worked for you but sorry your scene won't render. What computer do you use and how old is it and what operating system do you have?

--------------------

+Quote Post
kwistufa
post Feb 4 2012, 12:59 AM
Post #3

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 107

I'm no expert but I've had the same problem in the past as well...
I also did all the suggested workarounds etc..

In the end.. I put it down to having Too Much custom content installed..
Not just in the Movie your trying to render... but the Whole of MS.

After I re-installed onto another Drive on my Computer & only installing the 'Custom content' that I needed in that Movie.. Viola! All Good & it rendered.

+Quote Post
mrkip2001
post Feb 4 2012, 4:51 AM
Post #4

Director

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Feb 4 2012, 12:40 AM) *
Glad my idea worked for you but sorry your scene won't render. What computer do you use and how old is it and what operating system do you have?

My system is pretty old but it's been updated a lot (graphic cards, RAM etc.), and for the most part has been pretty realiable and up to the tasks at hand, that's why I haven't purchased another one . . . if its not broken . . . this system was used in production of the first season of GHOST.

Purchased six years ago
OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name SPIKESHILLPR-PC
System Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
System Model RX883AA-ABA m8020n
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel® Core™2 CPU 6420 @ 2.13GHz, 2133 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.23, 10/30/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
User Name SpikesHillPr-PC\Spikes Hill Prod
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.50 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.03 GB
Total Virtual Memory 3.73 GB
Available Virtual Memory 2.04 GB

--------------------
[K]nowledge [I]s [P]ower

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Feb 4 2012, 6:42 PM
Post #5

Master Director
Group Icon

Regarding your computer, I think if you disable a lot of addons you are not using for this movie, the program will work better. I have a new 64 bit machine with 8 gigs of ram and so I have no problems with the 100's of addons, mostly made by me that I have enabled but with a machine with less memory that can cause problems.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mrkip2001
post Feb 5 2012, 10:27 AM
Post #6

Director

Thanks Lucinda,

My wife and I discussed it and we've decided its time for a new system . . . sad thing is I now have no idea when we'll get the next season of GHOST completed.

But thanks again to you and everyone else that has replied.

--------------------
[K]nowledge [I]s [P]ower

+Quote Post
Ben_S
post Feb 6 2012, 10:40 AM
Post #7

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 116

I'm quite interested in seeing the log.txt from after you try to render, and it doesnt.
This is created in the Moviestorm user folder. It is emptied each time you start Moviestorm, so please reproduce the problem first. It's in:
Vista, Win7, Macs: Users/[Username]/Moviestorm
WinXP: C:/Documents and Settings/[Username]/Moviestorm

One extra tip for avoiding a memory leak that we have recently found:
In your 'Movies' folder, move most of the Movies that you are not currently working on into another folder; you can still load them from the load movie screen using the browse button.
This helps, because every movie in your Movies folder is loading up it's image when you go to the Load Movie screen, and taking about 700k of memory that is never released; this can be a big chunk of your available heap space if you have a lot of saved movies.
This will be fixed for the next release, but in the mean time, the workaround might well help matters.

--------------------
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

+Quote Post
mrkip2001
post Feb 6 2012, 12:10 PM
Post #8

Director

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Feb 6 2012, 10:40 AM) *
I'm quite interested in seeing the log.txt from after you try to render, and it doesnt.
This is created in the Moviestorm user folder. It is emptied each time you start Moviestorm, so please reproduce the problem first. It's in:
Vista, Win7, Macs: Users/[Username]/Moviestorm
WinXP: C:/Documents and Settings/[Username]/Moviestorm

One extra tip for avoiding a memory leak that we have recently found:
In your 'Movies' folder, move most of the Movies that you are not currently working on into another folder; you can still load them from the load movie screen using the browse button.
This helps, because every movie in your Movies folder is loading up it's image when you go to the Load Movie screen, and taking about 700k of memory that is never released; this can be a big chunk of your available heap space if you have a lot of saved movies.
This will be fixed for the next release, but in the mean time, the workaround might well help matters.

Here's the Log text . . . I'm going to try the moving the movies suggestions too.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  LOG.txt ( 54.5K ) Number of downloads: 3

--------------------
[K]nowledge [I]s [P]ower

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Feb 6 2012, 12:37 PM
Post #9

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (mrkip2001 @ Feb 5 2012, 04:27 AM) *
Thanks Lucinda,

My wife and I discussed it and we've decided its time for a new system . . . sad thing is I now have no idea when we'll get the next season of GHOST completed.

But thanks again to you and everyone else that has replied.

I noticed in the Log txt that a lot of the addons are missing. That might be a problem. When we got my new system it only cost $700.00 including the 23 inch monitor and it is a 64 bit machine with 8 gigs of ram. So it ws a good deal. I can really see the difference for every program I use as I still have my older computer too and it is so much slower than this new computer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben_S
post Feb 6 2012, 2:24 PM
Post #10

Master Director
Group Icon

The log isnt telling me anything useful, I'm afraid. Le tme know if cleaing up your Movies folder helps, and if there are crash logs that match the times of your crashes, I would like to see them.
The crash log is called hs_err_pid####.log
PC: The crash log is created in the folder where you installed moviestorm, when Moviestorm crashes to desktop.
Look in C:/Program Files/Moviestorm-1.4
There may be multiple versions of this file if Moviestorm has crashed several times - choose the one thats file date/time matches the crash.

--------------------
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

+Quote Post
mrkip2001
post Feb 7 2012, 3:59 AM
Post #11

Director

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Feb 6 2012, 02:24 PM) *
The log isnt telling me anything useful, I'm afraid. Le tme know if cleaing up your Movies folder helps, and if there are crash logs that match the times of your crashes, I would like to see them.
The crash log is called hs_err_pid####.log
PC: The crash log is created in the folder where you installed moviestorm, when Moviestorm crashes to desktop.
Look in C:/Program Files/Moviestorm-1.4
There may be multiple versions of this file if Moviestorm has crashed several times - choose the one thats file date/time matches the crash.

Hey Ben,
Removing the movies didn't have any better results . . . I found the log and you're right the very first thing it says is "Out of Memory".
Attached File(s)
Attached File  hs_err_pid5384.log ( 14.39K ) Number of downloads: 2

--------------------
[K]nowledge [I]s [P]ower

+Quote Post
Ben_S
post Feb 7 2012, 10:45 AM
Post #12

Master Director
Group Icon

That error means that there is insufficent address space to assign new system memory.
This is sometimes caused by either having too many addons, or by increasing the heapspace for Moviestorm too much.
If you have previously changed the heap space allocated to Moviestorm using the methods in this thread:
http://www.moviestorm.co.uk/forums/index.p...;showtopic=5827
Then you need to pick a lower number.

And if you can disable a number of addons that are not being used in your movie, that may also help matters.

--------------------
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

+Quote Post
mrkip2001
post Feb 7 2012, 6:34 PM
Post #13

Director

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Feb 7 2012, 10:45 AM) *
That error means that there is insufficent address space to assign new system memory.
This is sometimes caused by either having too many addons, or by increasing the heapspace for Moviestorm too much.
If you have previously changed the heap space allocated to Moviestorm using the methods in this thread:
http://www.moviestorm.co.uk/forums/index.p...;showtopic=5827
Then you need to pick a lower number.

And if you can disable a number of addons that are not being used in your movie, that may also help matters.

Ben

YOU ARE THE F'ING MAN!!!!!!

thank you for helping me get my production back up and running! I can not thank you enough. The scene has rendered without any problems.

Thank you . . . Thank You . . . THANK YOU!

--------------------
[K]nowledge [I]s [P]ower

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: