Reply to this topicStart new topic
Can I use this?, Machinima for Dummies!

baron11
post Feb 12 2012, 5:10 PM
Post #1

Film Critic

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,012

I have been given a copy of Machinima for Dummies (I am not one) by a friend who knows I am getting into animation movies. In this book I found a DVD with lot’s of amazing goodies. One of them being – yes, you guessed right, MovieStorm.

I have a three month account on moviestorm. Can I load and use this version of moviestorm? Will all the software I have purchased on moviestorm still be available for me to use in future. Can anyone give me some answers please? Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nahton
post Feb 12 2012, 7:53 PM
Post #2

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 118

QUOTE (baron11 @ Feb 12 2012, 12:10 PM) *
. Can I load and use this version of moviestorm? Will all the software I have purchased on moviestorm still be available for me to use in future. Can anyone give me some answers please? Thanks.

That's got to be a pretty old version of Moviestorm. It probably dates back to when it was free. I wouldn't try using it if I were you. There have been so many changes and enhancements it would be like using a different application.

+Quote Post
iceaxe
post Feb 12 2012, 10:08 PM
Post #3

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,592

Yep, that's a really old beta version of Moviestorm. It *is* usable, but be prepared for all kinds of glitches and unreliability. It was the version I started with though, and the walk-thrus in the book were useful.
There's a lot of other good stuff in MfD though - it is worth reading through.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Armanus
post Feb 13 2012, 12:25 AM
Post #4

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,721

As far as the content goes, it depends on when it was released. Some of the content that is released does not work on versions previous to the one it was released under, since some content requires new code in the base program in order to work.
You can use that program (and any compatible addons) to your heart's content for free, but the latest version is heads above the beta versions, not just in features but in performance. You'd be better off upgrading to the new version. You can use a recurring subscription or use one of the outright purchasing options. Note you never truly own the program and the addon content, but you are purchasing the license to use it. That license is valid as long as you are a current subscriber. If you do the outright purchase you are considered a lifetime subscriber so you can freely use the program and content for all eternity without further fees or hassles.
Lifetime plans count only for version 1.x programs. Whenever the time comes that there is a Moviestorm 2.0, then you would have to purchase that as well.
As long as you are a current subscriber you get free updates, ability to import 3rd-party mods, modder's workshop (to import your own mods if you wish) and free content that is released occasionally.
Your best bet would probably be to install that old beta version you found in the book, play around and see if it is something you would be interested in. The install the current version and see what's new. I think you'd find the latest version far superior smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Feb 13 2012, 4:41 AM
Post #5

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,534

FWIW when I tried the software on that DVD 3 years ago it didn't run properly on my PC.
Johnny advised me to try the latest MS even then. And I'm glad I did.

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

+Quote Post
baron11
post Feb 14 2012, 3:02 PM
Post #6

Film Critic

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,012

Thanks to everyone who commented on my post here. I think the best way to go is to listen to someone who knows better than me about something. I would rather use something I can trust than have my PC crash on me or something. Thank you everyone. Nice to know I am in good company here.

+Quote Post
corthew
post Feb 14 2012, 9:07 PM
Post #7

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,729

QUOTE (baron11 @ Feb 14 2012, 11:02 AM) *
Thank you everyone. Nice to know I am in good company here.

I've been holding back asking this because I thought there may be something about that version I didn't know but no-one has satisfied my curiosity on that so I'll ask now:

Was there a reason why you wanted to try an outdated version of a software you already own the latest version of?

--------------------
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: