Reply to this topicStart new topic
Sketchup Import Error

procureagent
post Feb 13 2012, 8:40 PM
Post #1

Master Director

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,717

Been trying for days now to import Sketchup 6 Model files into MS, but keep getting the error...

"An Error occurred trying to create the mesh file"

Can someone tell me what I might be doing wrong? Three models did import, however the remaining ones do not even though I am following the exact same process.

Please help.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Feb 13 2012, 11:33 PM
Post #2

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 2,534

Make sure every component is exploded but also tell us how many polys they consist of. Are the models which failed more complex than the others? The importer only seems to handle a certain number of polys and textures.

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

+Quote Post
procureagent
post Feb 14 2012, 9:09 AM
Post #3

Master Director

I think they were all grouped (including the three which imported in). I will check on this today. How do I find out how many polys they consist of?

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Feb 14 2012, 12:41 PM
Post #4

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 341

I get those messages too but it does import the model. Just look in your props menu in the workshop and you will see your model.

--------------------

+Quote Post
procureagent
post Feb 14 2012, 11:34 PM
Post #5

Master Director

I tried that lucindamc123, but in Moviestorm it displays the broken model thing.

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Feb 15 2012, 3:02 AM
Post #6

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (procureagent @ Feb 14 2012, 05:34 PM) *
I tried that lucindamc123, but in Moviestorm it displays the broken model thing.

Hum, that is strange because I have gotten those messages a lot and they always upload. Did you close the Workshop and look to see if the folder is there in the addons directory?

--------------------

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Feb 15 2012, 7:07 AM
Post #7

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,534

QUOTE (procureagent @ Feb 14 2012, 09:09 PM) *
How do I find out how many polys they consist of?

Under "Window"/"Model Info"/"Statistics". Make sure you have every component exploded or it will under count by significant numbers.

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

+Quote Post
procureagent
post Feb 15 2012, 11:05 AM
Post #8

Master Director

Yes the folder is there, seemingly with the relevant contents. I am currently exploding all 3D models in Sketchup and saving each again (as ver. 6). Will post an update later.

+Quote Post
procureagent
post Feb 15 2012, 1:16 PM
Post #9

Master Director

Tried to import a couple of the newly created (exploded, not grouped) 3D models from SU6 files. Even the one which imported without an error is not seen in MS, however two much older (and long deleted) files are shown as "Broken" models, but these are no longer in the folder.

Help!

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Feb 15 2012, 2:50 PM
Post #10

Master Director
Group Icon

Are they very hi poly and do they have a lot of textures? I had problems with trying to import the small town as a whole model into Moviestorm even though I reduced the textures to 200. So I had to import it as individual streets and buildings.

--------------------

+Quote Post
apostolos
post Feb 15 2012, 11:01 PM
Post #11

Critically acclaimed

Member No.: 5,110

i ran into that situation the other day. I just tried again that's all.

+Quote Post
procureagent
post Feb 17 2012, 8:44 PM
Post #12

Master Director

I finally got some models transferred into Moviestorm, however I have a new issue which has resulted from the imports.

When I want to replace one model with another to create the same movie scenes with different vehicle models, I followed the recently advised instructions of simply replacing the model names in the "movie.mscope" file. This did result in one model being swapped for another, however the replacement model is completely "blank", no textures or colours, just white. What is going wrong here?

+Quote Post
Ben_S
post Feb 21 2012, 11:04 AM
Post #13

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 116

Not quite sure.
Is your model properly textured when you just place a new one on set? If it isnt, then the problem is with your new model, rather than replacing it in your existing movie.

In your existing movie, if you click on the model in the set workshop, are there any template variations that you can change to? (Probably not unless you made more than one template for it) If there are, you can click one of them, and the textures would probably appear.

It may be the case that the thing you were replacing had been customised - if there is a section with colours and materials in the movie.mscope, near the bit you replaced, then that could be specifying some textures that dont exist in your new model. You could copy/paste that bit of the movie.mscope (just the section for your prop) and I could advise on how to change it.

--------------------
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: