Moviestorm lagging and crashing

lucindamc123
post Feb 19 2012, 10:45 PM
Post #1

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 341

I have a very simple scene of a restaurant with no hi poly props and only 11 puppets on the set and whenever I try to have the puppets do anything like eat or use a prop, the program really lags and sometimes crashes. Has anyone else had this problem. I didn't have this problem with Vautrin when I had 25 people on a set that was full of the buildings I made that were not real hi poly but much more hi poly than this set and I didn't have that problem. I don't know what is going on here. Anyone else having this problem?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
corthew
post Feb 19 2012, 10:49 PM
Post #2

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,729

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Feb 19 2012, 06:45 PM) *
I have a very simple scene of a restaurant with no hi poly props and only 11 puppets on the set and whenever I try to have the puppets do anything like eat or use a prop, the program really lags and sometimes crashes. Has anyone else had this problem.

I haven't. I've really been putting a load on it and it's behaving unexpectedly well for me.

Could there be something wrong with one of your props that MS is having a hard time dealing with?

--------------------
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Feb 19 2012, 10:52 PM
Post #3

Master Director
Group Icon

I don't think so. I made some dining tables, round but they are very low poly and the other props I used are also low poly. The rest of the props are from the MS Dining addon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
corthew
post Feb 19 2012, 11:38 PM
Post #4

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Feb 19 2012, 06:52 PM) *
I don't think so. I made some dining tables, round but they are very low poly and the other props I used are also low poly. The rest of the props are from the MS Dining addon.

Could it be the number of props you have installed? They still haven't completely eliminated that issue from what I understand.

Also, do you have alot of projects showing in your "Load" screen?

They will be fixing that issue with the next upgrade but its not ready to be released yet so if you do, you may want to move the entire folders out of your MovieStorm/Movies directory for projects you've completed work on.

--------------------

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Feb 20 2012, 1:23 AM
Post #5

Master Director
Group Icon

Most of the movies I have on my Load page are Vautrin, but I can remove any other ones I have finished and see if that works. I made the round tables and the cashier's desk really low poly and it is working better but it still crashes. I don't have a lot of props on the set. I have backdrops that are really low poly. I even use a backdrop for the kitchen. I have about 6 tables all set, but three of them are two person tables. I am just surprised that I am having problems with this scene because the scenes I did for Vautrin are really hi poly and I have a lot of characters on the set and I didn't have this kind of problem. I wonder if it is the latest update that has caused it. Well except I did the small town movie and it is a pretty hi poly set and I had no problems at all with it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Feb 20 2012, 2:10 AM
Post #6

Master Director
Group Icon

Well it was running fine but when I try to render this scene which is very short, Moviestorm crashes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
corthew
post Feb 20 2012, 2:32 AM
Post #7

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Feb 19 2012, 09:23 PM) *
I don't have a lot of props on the set.

Awhile back it was mentioned by Ben that even if you're not actively using the props on set, their meshdata.data files still load into memory and can take up quite a bit of it.

I don't know if they've addressed that issue or if its even one they can address but if you have a bunch of addons installed their meshdata.data files can seriously hog your memory.

If there are any addons you know you're not using right now it might be worth moving their folders out of the Addons folder to see if that frees up enough to finish your project.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Feb 20 2012, 3:00 AM
Post #8

Master Director
Group Icon

Okay, thanks, I will try that then. I did finally get it to render but it is still lagging a lot but it isn't crashing now as I add the voice files.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben_S
post Feb 20 2012, 5:30 PM
Post #9

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 116

We are hoping to have 1.5.2 ready soonish which will contain quite a few fewer memory leaks; one of the worst offenders was a cache that got larger every time you moved your mouse over a prop in the directors view. This scaled with the number of addons you have - the more you have, the larger the cache got every time you moved your mouse over a prop.

If this is the problem, you can probably crash your scene by loading your movie, then carefully (in the directors view) just wave your mouse over each prop in your scene in turn.

Please do keep your movie, and try it again once we have the patch out, and let us know if it has improved.

--------------------
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Feb 20 2012, 6:49 PM
Post #10

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Feb 20 2012, 11:30 AM) *
We are hoping to have 1.5.2 ready soonish which will contain quite a few fewer memory leaks; one of the worst offenders was a cache that got larger every time you moved your mouse over a prop in the directors view. This scaled with the number of addons you have - the more you have, the larger the cache got every time you moved your mouse over a prop.

If this is the problem, you can probably crash your scene by loading your movie, then carefully (in the directors view) just wave your mouse over each prop in your scene in turn.

Please do keep your movie, and try it again once we have the patch out, and let us know if it has improved.

Thanks that is the answer. I notice that when I had my mouse and turned it so I could curve around the screen it would crash.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: