Are user created walk cycles possible?

corthew
post Mar 1 2012, 3:38 PM
Post #61

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 11,729

So the final answer on this seems to be that even though a walk animation may be technically broken in that MS will work better without it, the only thing I've been able to find that actually make the animation not show in MS is the root translations.

Certain root rotations may or may not also cause problems but I try to avoid those except where they are specifically needed.

I haven't figured out why the translations cause it to fail. It may be something at a detail level only one of the MS programmers could identify.

But I do know what to change when it fails so I won't be wasting time on unnecessary things. I'll hopefully be able to do the male and female animations this weekend.

I wish I could access those parallel pre animations for this.

Ben, is there a naming thing that lets MS know which pre-animation to transition with?

I think I'll do the animations in 40 frames. 30 is too fast and 60 is way to slow.

The speed adjustment works but its nice to have the default speed a comfortable one.

--------------------
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben_S
post Mar 1 2012, 3:53 PM
Post #62

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 116

I believe the pre-walks are chosen based on how much ground the animation covers. (Or if the gait is specifically one of the two backwards walking gaits we supply, which doesnt help you).

--------------------
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

+Quote Post
corthew
post Mar 1 2012, 11:38 PM
Post #63

Master Director
Group Icon

Well, walk cycles may just not be something misfit can handle.

Damn it.smile.gif

Although I can get the male animations to work I have not been successful with the female skeleton once.

Time to learn Milkshape.

Milkshape does seem to allow a bit more control in this respect.

It also generates much larger CAF files though which I do not consider a plus.

Where Misfit was generating a 20kb or less caf animation file, Milkshape generates a 120kb or larger one.

An advantage to Milkshape is that you can generate just the caf file if that's all you need.

If I am unable to achieve success with Milkshape I'm done with walk cycles beyond gestures.

Crossed fingers...and eyes.
blink.gif

--------------------

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Mar 1 2012, 11:45 PM
Post #64

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,534

QUOTE (corthew @ Mar 2 2012, 11:38 AM) *
It also generates much larger CAF files though which I do not consider a plus.

Unless of course that is because they contain the missing bits to make the walk work properly wink.gif

Milkshape is easier to learn than Misfit and despite my partial conversion to Misfit I still prefer its right click menus (especially the view change one), fast keys and alignment tools. But I never had much luck with the MS skeletons after this first attempt.

Good luck though. I have been following your struggle with great interest wink.gif

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

+Quote Post
corthew
post Mar 2 2012, 12:26 AM
Post #65

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Mar 1 2012, 07:45 PM) *
Unless of course that is because they contain the missing bits to make the walk work properly wink.gif

Milkshape is easier to learn than Misfit and despite my partial conversion to Misfit I still prefer its right click menus (especially the view change one), fast keys and alignment tools. But I never had much luck with the MS skeletons after this first attempt.

Good luck though. I have been following your struggle with great interest wink.gif

I am not happy with Milkshape's viewport. Is there a way to really rotate around in the 3d viewport? Maybe if I could change the default grid orientation from whatever it is. I can't rotate around the body. Only over. I can only see the sides at uncomfortable angles for judging the animation flow.

I'm also not happy with the way it deselects rotate when I'm clicking to move the bone.

I'm sure I'll get use to it but viewport-wise, Misfit far surpasses Milkshape for me currently.

--------------------

+Quote Post
corthew
post Mar 2 2012, 12:53 AM
Post #66

Master Director
Group Icon

And why does Milkshape keep stretching the toe? I select other bones and switch to rotate mode and it rotates them.
I do the same with the toe and it looks like I'm watching An American Werewolf in London.

--------------------

+Quote Post
urbanlamb
post Mar 2 2012, 1:00 AM
Post #67

Master Director

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,284

I just am about to *cough* work on a set of animations for a small chicken i made (well all chickens are small I guess)

I just put the skeleton in last night and am about to make a set of animations only 2 or 3 and then I will try this thing reacher explained. If it works I will sit down and create an entire blender tutorial on how I made the chicken and the skeleton and go through the entire thing.

If the toes are stretching its because they are not weighted properly to the skeleton and its being left behind lol there is usually a master bone at the feet and everything has to revolve around this bone if your dude is to leave the home position.

+Quote Post
corthew
post Mar 2 2012, 1:09 AM
Post #68

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (urbanlamb @ Mar 1 2012, 09:00 PM) *
I just am about to *cough* work on a set of animations for a small chicken i made (well all chickens are small I guess)

I just put the skeleton in last night and am about to make a set of animations only 2 or 3 and then I will try this thing reacher explained. If it works I will sit down and create an entire blender tutorial on how I made the chicken and the skeleton and go through the entire thing.

If the toes are stretching its because they are not weighted properly to the skeleton and its being left behind lol there is usually a master bone at the feet and everything has to revolve around this bone if your dude is to leave the home position.

This is the Moviestorm female01 model.

Everything is weighted and works fine in Misfit.

But for some reason when I rotate the end joint at the toe the foot bone stretches and takes the foot with it.

Every mouse motion only makes it worse.
I have to Ctrl Z to fix it.

I'm not happy with Milkshape. If there was some way to combine Milkshape's power with Misfit's user interface and flexability we'd have a great tool for MS animating and modeling.

--------------------

+Quote Post
corthew
post Mar 2 2012, 1:19 AM
Post #69

Master Director
Group Icon

Looks like its only the right toe. The bone stretches and the foot goes with it.smile.gif

I'm definately not a milkshape fan.

--------------------

+Quote Post
corthew
post Mar 2 2012, 1:52 AM
Post #70

Master Director
Group Icon

And now its working perfectly fine. laugh.gif

Must be a sign of the impending end of the world in December.

Female puppets have lost the ability to walk sideways and their feet intermittently stretch like silly putty.

--------------------

+Quote Post
urbanlamb
post Mar 2 2012, 2:06 AM
Post #71

Master Director

QUOTE (corthew @ Mar 2 2012, 01:52 AM) *
And now its working perfectly fine. laugh.gif

Must be a sign of the impending end of the world in December.

Female puppets have lost the ability to walk sideways and their feet intermittently stretch like silly putty.

lol there is a bone i think they call it "root" if you are messed up then select that bone and it will "unmess" but if something is staying behind its because of bones and their respective meshes some bones uh are not very functional anyhow if you have that issue I think they call their bone "root" i forget now anyhow click that bone and it selects everything and it all should move just fine and dandy lol

QUOTE (corthew @ Mar 2 2012, 01:19 AM) *
Looks like its only the right toe. The bone stretches and the foot goes with it.smile.gif

I'm definately not a milkshape fan.

i'm not a milkshape fan either I use it cause i have to find a way to import my materials with the proper naming convention and I can actually see what i am doing otherwise i dont touch it. misfit is worse I can see even less.

+Quote Post
corthew
post Mar 2 2012, 2:41 AM
Post #72

Master Director
Group Icon

Well, Milkshape was also unsuccessful at creating a working Female walk animation.

It wasn't me. I never make mistakes. wink.gif

I'll maybe check this weekend and see if I missed something obvious but I'll more likely turn the best of the male and female walks into gestures so I can use them and release them as addons.

They work...

Moviestorm's walk cycle engine is just very specific about what it will allow and it seems to be more specific about the female than about the male.

Maybe I needed to use a slide rule. Or a protractor?

I knew I should have paid more attention in Trig.

--------------------

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Mar 2 2012, 5:38 AM
Post #73

Master Director
Group Icon

BTW I think you have set a record for the number of posts in a single thread. Even Lucinda never managed this many wink.gif

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

+Quote Post
urbanlamb
post Mar 2 2012, 6:21 AM
Post #74

Master Director

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Mar 2 2012, 05:38 AM) *
BTW I think you have set a record for the number of posts in a single thread. Even Lucinda never managed this many wink.gif

hehe well we have so few posters we need to post our brains out to make it look more busy smile.gif

in any event if the female is broken then its probably an exercise in futility. I have not looked at it much but i know why feet get stuck to the floor having accidently glued many pairs myself when making skeletons lol

this will be a realy awesome chicken asuming I can actualy get the animations to import properly
blink.gif

+Quote Post
corthew
post Mar 2 2012, 7:28 AM
Post #75

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (urbanlamb @ Mar 2 2012, 02:21 AM) *
this will be a realy awesome chicken asuming I can actualy get the animations to import properly
blink.gif

You shouldn't have any problems. Walk cycles are my first failure.

I didn't fail at the walk cycle itself. I failed to sneak it past MS security.smile.gif

Making the cycle is not a difficult thing. Getting it to work in MS isn't either. Its just this specific area that is the problem.

MS just has a very specific requirement for animations defined as gaits and apparently the person who wrote that code hasn't revealed its deepest darkest secrets.smile.gif

At least not in a way I can make use of.

Ben,

Could it be a version issue?

There's nothing wrong with the animations.

They work perfectly in the ModShop.

You said something about a log in an earlier post but there isn't a log for the ModShop as far as I can see and the animation never becomes available in Directors View so it isn't possible to generate an error with it on my end.

If it is available in directors view, (the male working animations for example), there is no error to begin with.

--------------------

+Quote Post
corthew
post Mar 2 2012, 7:30 AM
Post #76

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Mar 2 2012, 01:38 AM) *

And I'm only warming up. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben_S
post Mar 2 2012, 10:54 AM
Post #77

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 116

Ben,

Could it be a version issue?

There's nothing wrong with the animations.

No, it is missing keyframes. The walk cycles have an additional requirement for more keyframes than are needed to display them in the modders workshop due to a bug (which I have fixed internally) with the keyframe reordering. None of our original walk cycles encountered this bug because the 3ds max cal exporter we use exports a keyframe for each bone every frame. It appears that the misfit cal exporter you are using is instead only exporting changed keys, and is thus triggering this issue.

Thus using the package that produces larger animation files (ie lots of duplicated keyframes every frame) will probably make it a lot easier to get things to work.

--------------------
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

+Quote Post
corthew
post Mar 2 2012, 11:18 AM
Post #78

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Mar 2 2012, 06:54 AM) *
the 3ds max cal exporter we use exports a keyframe for each bone every frame.

That's something I can control in Misfit.smile.gif

I'll try it one more time. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Mar 2 2012, 12:07 PM
Post #79

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (corthew @ Mar 2 2012, 11:18 PM) *
I'll try it one more time. wink.gif

It's going to work I just know it...It's going to work I just know it...It's going to work I just know it...It's going to work I just know it...It's going to work I just know it...

Well? mellow.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
corthew
post Mar 2 2012, 1:24 PM
Post #80

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Mar 2 2012, 08:07 AM) *
It's going to work I just know it...It's going to work I just know it...It's going to work I just know it...It's going to work I just know it...It's going to work I just know it...

Well? mellow.gif

Hehe, I've gotta do a "procedure" first which is why I'm off work right now.

Not to worry though, I'll suffer through the drudgery of MS modshop buggery just one more time before I call it quits.smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: