Something new I am trying now, Sometimes limitations make you more creative

lucindamc123
post Mar 11 2012, 6:13 PM
Post #1

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 341

As you know from all my posts Vautrin is a very difficult movie to make. The most challenging part has been the sets because they are very detailed and hi poly. So I ran into limitations with one scene I am doing where there is a lot shooting going on and 16 puppets. The set is very low poly but I didn't care for the look of it and really wanted to add some 3D props instead of just backdrops but I knew it would be too hi poly and then the movie would crash. So I made 3D props like winter trees and boulders and hills and photographed them against the original backdrop for the scene and I was really amazed. Because when you photograph 3d props, the photograph looks like it is a 3D set because of the shading. This solved a problem I have been frustrated about for about a week. I will be releasing an addon for these backdrops as soon as I have it finished. It will include the backdrops as well as the 3d trees and rocks and hills I created. But the 3d props are very hi poly, some trees are as many as 16,000 faces. But what you can do is set these against any backdrop, straight, not pan and photograph it and you will have a good looking backdrop for your sets. To create the backdrop, you either just use the photograph against a Moviestorm backdrop or any of the backdrops I have created or you can make one in Sketchup from the image using the SKYDOME TUTORIAL created by Sketchycat at the Google Warehouse.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
corthew
post Mar 11 2012, 6:59 PM
Post #2

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,729

You could do it disney style where everything is layered.

I've wondered why people do whole buildings when its usually only one or two sides that are seen.

They could do constructo-sets.smile.gif

If you need a roof and side walls you can place them but if its a middle building only seen from ground level you really only need one face generally.

While that may cause a complete building to be slightly higher poly total, in the broader scheme it could lower the poly count for a set considerably.

Plus the mesh data could be reduced since so many buildings are the same architecture with only slight difference color and texture-wise. Entire blocks usually have every 2nd or 3rd house identical structurally.

--------------------
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

+Quote Post
corthew
post Mar 11 2012, 7:06 PM
Post #3

Master Director
Group Icon

How do you suppose they get props to snap?

Could a prop created in Misfit do that or would it require 3DS?

--------------------

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Mar 11 2012, 8:07 PM
Post #4

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (corthew @ Mar 11 2012, 01:06 PM) *
How do you suppose they get props to snap?

Could a prop created in Misfit do that or would it require 3DS?

What do you mean by "snap"? As far as the buildings go, this is a big city set and even though each building is just four walls with images attached and a roof and they are low poly, there are so many of them that it makes the set too hi poly, at least for this specific scene. the shooting may be hogging memory too because I had no problem with the scene with 20 puppets all running through the city when the Japanese started dropping bombs. I even had the child puppets on that set and they are pretty hi poly and I also had cars on the set that moved and I had no problems. I don't know exactly what could cause the problem with this scene. The only thing I can think of is that it is the guns and shooting. The Moviestorm guns could be real hi poly. I just don't know.

--------------------

+Quote Post
corthew
post Mar 11 2012, 8:58 PM
Post #5

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Mar 11 2012, 04:07 PM) *
What do you mean by "snap"?

I don't know if you played around with Chris Ollis' castle mod, there are others that do it as well, but when you get one block close to another it snaps to it so you don't have to aggravate yourself trying to line it up.

On your project though, I just had a thought that you may already have had. For ground level camera angles your set could only have the building faces that are in the cameras view, but for aerial shots I was thinking you possibly could shoot the gunfight from overhead with no buildings then projecting onto a prim laying on the ground on the set with buildings and film that.

Or if you greenscreened the firefight with the camera following the same path over the battle with no buildings and the buildings with no battle?

May be a bit complicated setting it up but its a thought.

You would need to make sure the camera never used any object that was to be removed from either set for tracking purposes of course.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Mar 11 2012, 10:51 PM
Post #6

Master Director
Group Icon

Well I figured out the problem I was having with the soldiers. I had someone do some uniforms for me and that seems to be what is causing the movie to crash. So I am looking for someone who could make some Chinese and Japanese WW II uniforms for me and I will pay for this. I pay $20 a costume. They would need to be able to take an image and be tinted. I have tried using the military uniforms we have from Moviestorm but they don't look right. They are too modern. I have photos of the uniforms I want. The Chinese soldiers wore a jacket and long pants with no insignias on the jackets. I am using the Tommy helmet and that works for headgear. The jacket is not fitted to the waist. The Japanese soldiers were similar too.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: