Reply to this topicStart new topic
All props on set black, everything else working well

sbonsell
post Apr 8 2012, 2:34 PM
Post #1

Novice director

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,744

Hi. I've been working on a 'night scene' which has involved flicking between 'day' light to see the action clearly and 'night' light to see it in action. Last night it started to go strange - all props (but not floor tiles) are black (see attachment) and light props behave very strangely - lights set at their brightest only barely light up whereas in the beginning they were working perfectly on a very low setting...

Have attached log text also

Thanks

Stuart
Attached File(s)
Attached File  _moviestorm_evidence.png ( 732.32K ) Number of downloads: 13
Attached File  LOG.txt.zip ( 4.09K ) Number of downloads: 5

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Apr 9 2012, 3:23 PM
Post #2

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 341

I'm sorry no one has answered you yet but the staff I believe is off today. I noticed you have an error with the Moviestorm Happy Holidays addon but that shouldn't cause the lighting problems you are having. Do you have a Mac or a PC? It also might be that you need to update your graphics drivers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sbonsell
post Apr 9 2012, 6:26 PM
Post #3

Novice director

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Apr 9 2012, 03:23 PM) *
I'm sorry no one has answered you yet but the staff I believe is off today. I noticed you have an error with the Moviestorm Happy Holidays addon but that shouldn't cause the lighting problems you are having. Do you have a Mac or a PC? It also might be that you need to update your graphics drivers.

Hi Lucinda
I have a Mac. I've produced many I'm adding lighting pics to show that a large floor light right next to the character on full brightness and maximum range shows no reflected light on his face. This is my first scene using 'follow stage lighting' - I'm using four. Could this be causing difficulties?

Can you see which Happy Holidays addon that is causing problems - I can try to remove it.

Stuart

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Moviestorm2.png ( 419.22K ) Number of downloads: 5

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Apr 9 2012, 6:53 PM
Post #4

Master Director
Group Icon

I haven't used follow stage lighting yet so I don't know. That picture looks fine though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sbonsell
post Apr 9 2012, 9:27 PM
Post #5

Novice director

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Apr 9 2012, 06:53 PM) *
That picture looks fine though.

It should look very different, though - right next to his face is a (hidden) full power, full range light which doesn't show up at all. The black silhouettes, as per previus pic, only appear after a few edits to the file, but the file does not edit as I would expect it to, as per this lighting example. Did you find the holiday addon that causes the problem? I'd like to delete it to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Apr 9 2012, 9:33 PM
Post #6

Master Director
Group Icon

You don't have to delete the addon, just disable it in your settings section after you open Moviestorm. I don't know if that is the problem or not. And the addon is called Happy Holidays and it is a Moviestorm addon. Other than that I don't know what is causing the problems you are having. It might be your graphics card. Have you updated your drivers recently?

--------------------

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Apr 10 2012, 12:25 AM
Post #7

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,534

Looking at the number of actors you have along with the number of lights I think it could be a memory problem. But it could also be an issue with your graphics card. I gave up using a Mac because of similar issues, however you can try the following:-
Update your graphics drivers and switch off the Settings options that relate to Shaders , Hardware accelerator, depth of field etc and see if any of that fixes it. If it does then try switching on the options again one at a time.
Cheers.

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

+Quote Post
sbonsell
post Apr 10 2012, 6:45 AM
Post #8

Novice director

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Apr 10 2012, 12:25 AM) *
Looking at the number of actors you have along with the number of lights I think it could be a memory problem. But it could also be an issue with your graphics card. I gave up using a Mac because of similar issues, however you can try the following:-
Update your graphics drivers and switch off the Settings options that relate to Shaders , Hardware accelerator, depth of field etc and see if any of that fixes it. If it does then try switching on the options again one at a time.
Cheers.

Thanks Primavarenz

I should point out that I am currently working on twenty two scenes, each different, some with more people/ more lights and this is the only file that works fine. Since the problem began I've worked on eight of the other files and there are no issues so it would seem unlikely that it's graphics cards / settings etc.

I've noticed that the 'follow lights' light everything up fine - (see attached pic).

Stuart
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Moviestorm_4.png ( 685.67K ) Number of downloads: 6

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Apr 10 2012, 9:07 AM
Post #9

Master Director
Group Icon

Hmmm sounds like something you might have inadvertently set while switching back and forward. I'd check all the lighting settings compared with one of the files that works in case you missed something.

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

+Quote Post
sbonsell
post Apr 10 2012, 9:24 AM
Post #10

Novice director

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Apr 10 2012, 09:07 AM) *
Hmmm sounds like something you might have inadvertently set while switching back and forward. I'd check all the lighting settings compared with one of the files that works in case you missed something.

Hang on - can I refer any future responses to my original post because I think we're drifting away from the problem; The grass is bright green, the pavements lovely and grey, but every prop is a jet black featureless silhouette! I am putting full power lighting right next to puppets faces and the faces aren't lighting up at all...

Additionally, the file is a copy of a former file - i.e. just changing lighting to night - that works perfectly. The only difference between the files are the 'follow spot' lights - but they work fine; following and lighting.

Would anyone out there volunteer to look at the file itself please?

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Apr 10 2012, 1:30 PM
Post #11

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (sbonsell @ Apr 10 2012, 09:24 PM) *
Would anyone out there volunteer to look at the file itself please?

Well two last things I would be check out would be:-

"NativeFmodEx: INCORRECT DLL VERSION (264198, should be 266497)" .

And:-
what is the exclamation mark at the top right with 2 messages telling you?

Otherwise I reckon you may have to wait for Ben to get back to you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sbonsell
post Apr 10 2012, 2:30 PM
Post #12

Novice director

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Apr 10 2012, 01:30 PM) *
Well two last things I would be check out would be:-

"NativeFmodEx: INCORRECT DLL VERSION (264198, should be 266497)" .

And:-
what is the exclamation mark at the top right with 2 messages telling you?

Otherwise I reckon you may have to wait for Ben to get back to you.

Thanks Primaveranz,

the two exclamation marks are just 'Move' overlaps. The rest of your message I have no idea what to do with, so thanks, but if you see Ben .... rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
ms_amos
post Apr 11 2012, 10:05 AM
Post #13

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 6,395

Hi Stuart,
Sorry for the delayed response, I've looked into this and it's actually a result of the four (or more) lights that are represented by the "Follow Spots".
Basically, Moviestorm will only use the closest 3 lights to light an object in the set, and the Follow Spots light objects in a very simple way (either illuminated or not). If the closest 3 lights are Follow Spots, but not actually pointing at the object, it will display as black.
There's a couple of things you can do to avoid this... Firstly, of you use the "Directional and Ambient" lighting model (Set Workshop/ Change lighting, sky or terrain/ Change the lighting for this scene) you may find that it's much more forgiving. The other option is to use less lights in your scene, and use the Follow Spots only for specific shots.
I hope this helps, please let us know how you get on with it.
Amos

--------------------
Amos Willbond
Creative Producer
Moviestorm Ltd.

+Quote Post
sbonsell
post Apr 12 2012, 1:12 PM
Post #14

Novice director

Hi ms amos, thanks for the detailed help. I can't feed back yet as i'm away until saturday, but will let you know the outcome.

+Quote Post
sbonsell
post Apr 14 2012, 9:07 AM
Post #15

Novice director

Hi Amos - I've tried a lot of things including stripping back all of the set. Everything seems to be fine until a fourth follow spot is added - even if the other three spots are off. For example, I was working on the file with three follow spots and everything was working fine. As soon as I added a fourth spot all other lights failed, then, as soon as I deleted the fourth spot all the other lights worked fine again.

It means I can't do what I need to do which is a shame, but if I could make a suggestion for a future 'puppet held prop' it would be for a 'follow torch'. Effectively, I'm trying to get a burglar to walk through a house at night. Maybe the torch could 'look' at objects and follow a path, rather like puppets can look at objects (right click 'look at' object) so the torch could do the same. Just a thought.

Anyhow, thanks for your help

Stuart

+Quote Post
ms_amos
post Apr 16 2012, 9:25 AM
Post #16

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 6,395

Hi Stuart,
Yes, the lights will be "present" even when they are off, but this is where you can set up different scenes for different camera shots to get around the issue.
The torch "held prop" is a great idea, and we have already been looking into this as an item to release in the future. I believe that there has been some progress with this already, but have no idea if it's compatible with the currently released code.
A

--------------------
Amos Willbond
Creative Producer
Moviestorm Ltd.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: