Moviestorm Quits At Render

Overman
post Apr 9 2012, 2:24 AM
Post #1

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 19

Since the update to 1.5.x (from 1.4.x), I can't seem to render to either WebM or HuffYUV. I render from the Custom tab, and regardless of resolutions and framerates I've tried, when I have a WebM or HuffYUV selected for the codec, pressing the button to initiate a render just closes the application. Or so it would appear (the window is gone). I've noticed that if I then relaunch Moviestorm, it seems to think it's still running. But from all appearances, it's closed.

I can successfully render to image sequence right now, which fortunately gets me squared away for tonight because I didn't need audio. But naturally I want to get regular video rendering working.

I've been able to successfully render to HuffYUV from this same computer a couple months ago when I was on 1.4.x, so I think I've got the right codec in place? WebM I've never dealt with, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to install a codec for that to work or not.

Is there a step I'm missing, or some files I'm missing, since 1.5.x? Or does anyone know why this "crash" would be happening?

Machine is Windows Vista 32-bit, fully patched, and has been my working Moviestorm machine since WAYYYYY back in the day. 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 280.

Thanks very much!

--------------------
Phil "Overman" Rice
Zarathustra Studios - http://z-studios.com
You can connect with us On Twitter, On Facebook, On YouTube, and On Vimeo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Apr 9 2012, 2:36 AM
Post #2

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 341

I had problems with rendering and other things closing with my movies until I disabled a lot of my hi poly addons and that seemed to fix it. Also I upgraded my graphics driver. So I would check out those solutions and see if it fixes it. Now Moviestorm is working great even with as many as 25 puppets animated on the set.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Overman
post Apr 9 2012, 4:06 AM
Post #3

Master Director
Group Icon

Updated the video driver, but problem still occurs exactly as described.

The movie in question is one scene, one character, a handful of actions, two simple props, no mods. 22 seconds long. Nothing that would even begin to tax the engine. I don't have mods with high-poly models enabled.

Anyone know what causes this kind of crash?

--------------------
Phil "Overman" Rice

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Apr 9 2012, 4:58 AM
Post #4

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,534

I had a similar experience a while back and it turned out to be the audio track. I never narrowed it down but removing the audio allowed it to render. Then redoing the audio track and re-inserting worked fine. I think it may have had to do with bps rate?
I haven't really used 1.5 yet, so apologies if this is just a red herring.

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

+Quote Post
corthew
post Apr 9 2012, 10:35 AM
Post #5

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,729

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Apr 9 2012, 12:58 AM) *
I had a similar experience a while back and it turned out to be the audio track. I never narrowed it down but removing the audio allowed it to render. Then redoing the audio track and re-inserting worked fine. I think it may have had to do with bps rate?
I haven't really used 1.5 yet, so apologies if this is just a red herring.

Hmmm...Audio bps could be the problem I was having.

I'll need to keep that in mind next time.

--------------------
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

+Quote Post
Overman
post Apr 9 2012, 2:56 PM
Post #6

Master Director
Group Icon

The movie I'm rendering has no added audio; only audio would be that generated by normal character actions (walking, juggling chainsaws, etc.)

--------------------
Phil "Overman" Rice

+Quote Post
corthew
post Apr 9 2012, 3:22 PM
Post #7

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (Overman @ Apr 9 2012, 10:56 AM) *
juggling chainsaws

Joking...right? blink.gif

Or have I missed an awesome animation pack?

--------------------

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Apr 9 2012, 5:31 PM
Post #8

Master Director
Group Icon

I wonder if Moviestorm doesn't work with Windows Vista. I guess you will have to wait until the staff comes back on here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Overman
post Apr 10 2012, 5:53 AM
Post #9

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (lucindamc123 @ Apr 9 2012, 12:31 PM) *
I wonder if Moviestorm doesn't work with Windows Vista.

It does and always has.

--------------------
Phil "Overman" Rice

+Quote Post
ms_amos
post Apr 13 2012, 1:30 PM
Post #10

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 6,395

Hi Phil,
We have some reports of Moviestorm not rendering on Vista in certain situations to the point where we have dedicated two test machines to try and identify the problem. So far we haven't been able to reproduce the error here, but I'm hoping that some common software or hardware configuration is responsible for the error.
It would be extremely useful for us to get a copy of your DXDiag information, so that we can add it to the data that we've already gathered, in the hope that something becomes apparent.
To do this, please type "dxdiag" into the Vista Search field on the Start menu, and use the "Save all information" button to save the configuration to a text file. You can either post that text file on here, or email it directly to me at amos.willbond <at> moviestorm.co.uk
Amos

--------------------
Amos Willbond
Creative Producer
Moviestorm Ltd.

+Quote Post
Ben_S
post Apr 16 2012, 9:51 AM
Post #11

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 116

My current suspicion is that there is some other software (possibly video related, possibly using java) that you have that doesn't play nicely with Moviestorm's version of ffmpeg.

Doing a search across your filesystem for any files called ffmpeg4java.jar or ffmpeg4java.dll might be interesting - if there is any other software with files of that name, I would like to know what it is.

--------------------
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

+Quote Post
corthew
post Apr 16 2012, 10:30 AM
Post #12

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Apr 16 2012, 05:51 AM) *
My current suspicion is that there is some other software (possibly video related, possibly using java) that you have that doesn't play nicely with Moviestorm's version of ffmpeg.

I don't know how MS accesses ffmpeg but if I had installed software that installed its own ffmpeg.exe would that one possibly supercede the Moviestorm one in the registry?

I've attached an image of a search just for ffmpeg and Any Video Converter Professional which I had upgraded to in preparation for the 48hr contest does have an ffmpeg.exe in it.

Perhaps when I reinstalled MS it's ffmpeg superceded the AVC version?

Rendering was not consistently failing for me so it may have been a completely different issue but I thought I'd throw this in just in case.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  ffmpegstuff.png ( 106.22K ) Number of downloads: 5

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben_S
post Apr 16 2012, 12:46 PM
Post #13

Master Director
Group Icon

I think it is particularly "ffmpeg4java.dll" that I am interested in finding other copies of. And on the system of someone who cannot render (ie in this thread, Overman).

--------------------
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

+Quote Post
Overman
post Apr 18 2012, 1:59 AM
Post #14

Master Director
Group Icon

Amos - I've sent you my DXDIAG output via email, thank you.

Ben - I did recently install a Muvee trial, wanted to see what it did. I'm running a search for the file(s) you mentioned right now, will report back my findings. Thank you!

--------------------
Phil "Overman" Rice

+Quote Post
Overman
post Apr 18 2012, 2:17 AM
Post #15

Master Director
Group Icon

Ok, unfortunately, the only copy of ffmpeg4java.dll I can find is in:
C:\Program Files\Moviestorm-1.4\lib\native

I also found ffmpeg4java.rar at
C:\Program Files\Moviestorm-1.4

Those are the only instances of each of those files.

Muvee Reveal is the only recent software install and I don't plan to keep it, so I'll try removing that and see if my rendering luck changes.

I also noticed in the Windows event log that the C: drive is turning up dirty / in need of chkdsk, so I'm going to run that too.

--------------------
Phil "Overman" Rice

+Quote Post
Ben_S
post Apr 18 2012, 10:16 AM
Post #16

Master Director
Group Icon

I'm curious about that rar file - I would expect that the only two files called ffmpeg4java would be in the lib folder (ffmpeg4java.jar - might show as being open-able by your rar utility, though), and in the lib/native/win32 folder (ffmpeg4java.dll).

If ffmpeg4java.jar has been renamed to ffmpeg4java.rar, that would probably break things.

--------------------
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

+Quote Post
Overman
post Apr 19 2012, 7:13 AM
Post #17

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Apr 18 2012, 05:16 AM) *
I'm curious about that rar file - I would expect that the only two files called ffmpeg4java would be in the lib folder (ffmpeg4java.jar - might show as being open-able by your rar utility, though), and in the lib/native/win32 folder (ffmpeg4java.dll).

If ffmpeg4java.jar has been renamed to ffmpeg4java.rar, that would probably break things.

Apologies, Ben, that was a typo. It's a jar.

I've removed Muvee, I'll try rendering something again in the next few days and let you know the outcome.

I suppose I could also try a fresh install if it still doesn't work. I'm probably overdue for a cleanup.

--------------------
Phil "Overman" Rice

+Quote Post
Ben_S
post Apr 19 2012, 9:16 AM
Post #18

Master Director
Group Icon

We had another idea, although I'm not quite sure if it even should work.
Start up windows in safe mode, and try rendering then (you might need to run Moviestorm with shaders off, if safe mode doesn't load any 3D graphics drivers).
If it renders in safe mode, that would suggest that the problem is with the interaction with something else that is being loaded, rather than with the actual Moviestorm install.

Separately from the safe mode test, it might also be worth renaming the machinimascope.properties in your Moviestorm user folder, so that Moviestorm uses all the default settings.

--------------------
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

+Quote Post
lucindamc123
post Apr 19 2012, 4:07 PM
Post #19

Master Director
Group Icon

I just had a rendering problem with a 2 minute scene for Vautrin. The set was not hi poly but I had about 25 characters on the set. When it was rendering, Moviestorm would crash and sometimes my computer would crash. I solved the problem by rendering the scene a clip at a time instead of the whole 2 minute scene and it worked fine.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Overman
post May 1 2012, 2:15 AM
Post #20

Master Director
Group Icon

Just following up... I completely removed Moviestorm (backing up my mods etc. first) and uninstalled a couple older Java builds which were still hanging around. Then I reinstalled the latest version from scratch, and I can render just fine. Only Java build showing up in Add/Remove Programs is v6 build 31.

I found this file (attached) which was generated at the time of the render crash before this fix, hadn't noticed it before. Maybe it'll shed some light on what was happening? (Definitely appears to be Java related?)

I've not added back in any third-party mods yet, I suppose there's a chance that one of those all of a sudden decided to cause trouble. But I feel pretty confident my system just needed this fresh start.

Problem solved!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  hs_err_pid5096.log ( 15.51K ) Number of downloads: 7

--------------------
Phil "Overman" Rice

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: