Clothing in Blender?, Trying to learn how to do this

Reziun
post Apr 20 2012, 3:35 AM
Post #1

Moviegoer

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,706

Hi all,

I've been struggling with Moviestorm for a while, partly because I can't figure out what to make smile.gif (for movies)

I can't figure out how to use blender to make clothing for moviestorm though. How do I load the moviestorm skeleton? and are there any tutorials to really explain how to make the clothing? There is plenty on exporting the clothing to moviestorm, but not actually creating it in blender or another 3d model.

Thanks,
Reziun
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
writerly
post Apr 21 2012, 1:17 AM
Post #2

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 3,540

QUOTE (Reziun @ Apr 20 2012, 03:35 AM) *
I can't figure out how to use blender to make clothing for moviestorm though.

I don't use Blender, which I understand is a great program, because there is no easy pipeline from it to Moviestorm. (As I understand it.)
I use Milkshape though I understand Misfit is also great that way. I suggest you get started by just finding existing models of clothes and experiment fitting them to the MS Skeleton in Milkshape or Misfit.

You will find the MS Skeleton pose annoying. Most programs use a "T" pose. MS does not. Driving me to drink it is!!!

You can also make clothes by taking a blank male or female model and moving vertices around, add them etc. The tedious part is assigning vertices to the skeleton later. THAT is an art.

Good luck!
C

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Apr 21 2012, 1:34 AM
Post #3

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,534

QUOTE (writerly @ Apr 21 2012, 01:17 PM) *
I use Milkshape though I understand Misfit is also great that way.

Yeah Misfit has a very useful feature which automatically assigns all vertices to the nearest bone (or uses some other algorithm). You need to tidy up the mappings but it can be a bit of a time saver to start.
Blender would be the best solution but like Writerly says we have hit a dead end on the import method. From what I can tell by activity on the web Cal3d as a format is dead or dying and i wouldn't be surprised to see it dumped completely in MS 2.0.

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

+Quote Post
corthew
post Apr 21 2012, 3:34 AM
Post #4

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,729

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Apr 20 2012, 09:34 PM) *
From what I can tell by activity on the web Cal3d as a format is dead or dying and i wouldn't be surprised to see it dumped completely in MS 2.0.

But I'm just getting use to it.smile.gif

Really looking forward to 2.0 though. tongue.gif

--------------------
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Apr 21 2012, 7:24 AM
Post #5

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,534

QUOTE (corthew @ Apr 21 2012, 03:34 PM) *
But I'm just getting use to it.smile.gif

Tell me about it! wink.gif
I understand one of its benefits was the ability to "blend" different animations e.g. in the MS Walk customiser, which lets you choose percentages of two different walks. I hope any replacements would also have something similar.

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

+Quote Post
urbanlamb
post Apr 23 2012, 10:12 PM
Post #6

Master Director

Member No.: 22,284

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Apr 21 2012, 01:34 AM) *
. From what I can tell by activity on the web Cal3d as a format is dead or dying and i wouldn't be surprised to see it dumped completely in MS 2.0.

Oh I hope your right and that they are working on something behind the scenes that is awesome fantastic as a replacement to make it possible for this software to explode . With all these machinima toys you know my biggest issue right now is trying to decide what to do next I am like a kid in a sandbox with a bunch of really cool toys picking them all up and once and dropping the one in the other hand as i go "oo look shiny" lol

+Quote Post
Reziun
post May 3 2012, 2:49 AM
Post #7

Moviegoer

Member No.: 23,706

Thanks a lot Writerly!

I will look into those programs, I just recently moved and am now trying to get back on track for some of this!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: