Doorways, Windows etc

daleh
post Apr 26 2012, 11:09 AM
Post #1

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 3,720

Have had some success creating window, door and doorway props, the type that will 'fit' into Moviestorm walls and share the walls texture.

Making sure that I use materials [3] and [4] for the front and back walls, in the workshop i have set the wall materials to a basic wall/walpaper texture.

My quetion is does the spec and normal texture and the shininess setting have any affect on the wall sections you create?

I am assuming when you paint the wall within Moviestorm the texture used overwrites everything?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben_S
post Apr 26 2012, 12:17 PM
Post #2

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 116

Painting with the Moviestorm wall texture overwrites everything about that material.

Your wall sections can have other materials that use the materials you supply with the model - wooden skirting board, picture rail and so on.

--------------------
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

+Quote Post
daleh
post Apr 26 2012, 12:48 PM
Post #3

Master Director
Group Icon

Thanks Ben, another quick question

I created a simple door open and door close anim for some double doors i created, these were intended to work like the scifi doors with just a prop animation rather than like Moviestorms doors which have an actor interaction.

The reason for this was for a horror scene where the doors open as someone approaches.

Anyway, the Soloprop anim works fine if i make the doors a normal Prop, like with the scifi doors you can click on them in directors mode and choose the open animation, but when i make the prop into an actual doorway and republish the addon the animations no longer work, as in i have no 'Open Door' on the radial menu for them

am I doing something wrong are can wall section only have a character interaction animation?

+Quote Post
Ben_S
post Apr 26 2012, 12:58 PM
Post #4

Master Director
Group Icon

I would recommend that you use the 'Window' object type if you just want to have it behave like a normal prop with animations.
The 'Door', 'Portal' and 'Doorway' object types have other expectations as to how they work, and I would not generally use them.

You might need to create the verbs again too - the verbs say what the object type is, and if you then change it, they may not work correctly.

--------------------
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

+Quote Post
daleh
post Apr 27 2012, 2:05 PM
Post #5

Master Director
Group Icon

Ok, so I redid the prop as a test prop in a brand new Addon, saved it as a 'Window' type from the start instead of a Door/Doorway, set up States and created 2 Solo Prop Verbs for the 2 animations, Door Open and Door Close.

In set view the door works fine and 'snaps' into any wall section as a Window prop should, but again in Directors View I get no 'Door Open' option on the Radial menu when i click on it, all i get is the 'Look at' and 'Point At' options.

When I redo it as a Character/Prop interaction Anim, with the character part of the anim just being the actor standing in front of the doors while they open, then it works fine, I get the Open Door option on the menu, the actor walks upto the door and stands in front of the door and the door opens, same again for the door closing.

here is what the verbs look like when I create the 'Solo Prop' version:

<vector>
<mscope.things.verbs.SoloPropAnimVerb>
<model>Test Double Door</model>
<anim>test_doors_close</anim>
<name>Test Door/Door Close (Auto)</name>
<objectClass>mscope.things.Prop</objectClass>
</mscope.things.verbs.SoloPropAnimVerb>
<mscope.things.verbs.SoloPropAnimVerb>
<model>Test Double Door</model>
<anim>test_doors_open</anim>
<name>Test Door/Door Open (Auto)</name>
</mscope.things.verbs.SoloPropAnimVerb>
</vector>

I noticed that when I redo it as a Character/Prop interaction, the 2 lines:

are instead

<objectClass>mscope.things.Window</objectClass>

so I tried manually editing the verbs so in the Solo Prop version they also are

<objectClass>mscope.things.Window</objectClass>

making sure i reloaded Workshop afterwards and republished, but again I fail to get any door open option in the radial menu

If I change the prop to an actual 'Prop' rather than 'Window', and change the verb lines back to

and republish then the prop works fine as a prop like the Sci-Fi doors, can place it anywhere on set and in Director view I get the radial menu option to Open and then Close the door.

It would seem from this that either I am doing something wrong or 'Solo Prop' anims are not working with Door, Doorway or Windows etc

+Quote Post
Ben_S
post Apr 27 2012, 4:28 PM
Post #6

Master Director
Group Icon

I dont think we have any solo prop verbs that work with wall objects - all the verbs that I was thinking about that worked with doors and windows are Character/Prop verbs, rather than solo prop verbs.

That said, I would be interested in seeing your work in progress addon, with the prop, it's anims, and verbs/statemachine.

--------------------
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

+Quote Post
daleh
post Apr 30 2012, 11:35 AM
Post #7

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Apr 27 2012, 04:28 PM) *
I dont think we have any solo prop verbs that work with wall objects - all the verbs that I was thinking about that worked with doors and windows are Character/Prop verbs, rather than solo prop verbs.

That said, I would be interested in seeing your work in progress addon, with the prop, it's anims, and verbs/statemachine.

Thanks for that Ben, I have now decided to do it a different way, basically by splitting the door and wall sections up, having the wall section as a Doorway but the door/frame as a prop that can then fit into the gap my wall section doorway creates.

Anyway, as requested I have emailed you the older version

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: