Webm Render does nothing

primaveranz
post Apr 27 2012, 12:05 PM
Post #1

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 2,534

Just trying 1.5.2 for the first time and not having much fun sadly. I have had a few "hangs" but the more annoying thing is that if I choose any flavour of "webm" and press the render button nothing happens. Occasionally I get a message saying the file already exists (if it does, then Win7 search can't find it) but even in those cases when I choose overwrite or render with different name nothing happens either.
Pourquoi mes braves?
I have an NVIDIA GeForce GT425M and all video drivers are up to date.

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben_S
post Apr 27 2012, 12:34 PM
Post #2

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 116

Do any of the rendering options work (other than image sequence)?
Is 'play video on prop' also broken? (although you would need a webm video to test it)

--------------------
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Apr 27 2012, 1:03 PM
Post #3

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Apr 28 2012, 12:34 AM) *
Do any of the rendering options work (other than image sequence)?
Is 'play video on prop' also broken? (although you would need a webm video to test it)

HuffYUV worked once but since I restarted my laptop it appears that only the image sequence does.

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

+Quote Post
Ben_S
post Apr 27 2012, 1:40 PM
Post #4

Master Director
Group Icon

I would be interested in seeing a log.txt after you try to render, and it fails.
This is created in the Moviestorm user folder. It is emptied each time you start Moviestorm, so please reproduce the problem first. It's in:
Vista, Win7, Macs: Users/[Username]/Moviestorm
WinXP: C:/Documents and Settings/[Username]/Moviestorm

If it crashes to desktop when you try and render, would also be interested in seeing hs_err_pid####.log
PC: The crash log is created in the folder where you installed moviestorm, when Moviestorm crashes to desktop.
Look in C:/Program Files/Moviestorm
There may be multiple versions of this file if Moviestorm has crashed several times - choose the one thats file date/time matches the crash.

Also, when did the huffyuv work, and have you installed anything else since then?

--------------------
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Apr 27 2012, 11:34 PM
Post #5

Master Director
Group Icon

Hi Ben,

I haven't used this laptop for 3 months and when I shut it down last night it performed several windows software updates. This morning I tried MS and the render to webm works fine!
However I notice if I try to watch any movies on the MS site e.g. http://www.moviestorm.co.uk/community/inde...p;vid_id=108006
there is a thick green bar along the top of the screen.
I just tried a movie on Vimeo and got the same result Is that a flash issue?

Cheers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Apr 28 2012, 2:52 AM
Post #6

Master Director
Group Icon

QUOTE (primaveranz @ Apr 28 2012, 11:34 AM) *
software updates. This morning I tried MS and the render to webm works fine!

I spoke too soon wink.gif

It seems like I can only render to webm once in a session. E.g. if I open another movie and try to render that then I get the same "nothing happening".

If I close MS, reopen and try again with the second movie it works OK.
I have had a few other strange things happen. On one occasion while rendering instead of showing the movie with the progress bar all I could see was the "This file already exists" dialogue box (I had just clicked "overwrite") flashing rapidly on and off while the render took place successfully.

Just now, I opened an old movie, removed the keyboard prop and replaced it with the violin, opened the gesturiser added a couple of gestures then on adding the third, MS crashed.

Have attached the log and error files.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  probs.zip ( 12.53K ) Number of downloads: 1

--------------------

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Apr 28 2012, 3:06 AM
Post #7

Master Director
Group Icon

Here is another error log from the latest crash while using the violin prop again a few minutes later.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  hs_err_pid5412.log ( 11.07K ) Number of downloads: 4

--------------------

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Apr 30 2012, 10:21 AM
Post #8

Master Director
Group Icon

I had another crash while rotating a view so I suspect both these problems are memory related but I thought this version of MS would use less memory so maybe not. I tried changing my system swap file size but that hasn't helped.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben_S
post Apr 30 2012, 11:12 AM
Post #9

Master Director
Group Icon

Both of these errors are about Moviestorm not being able to assign new memory due to your system having run out of address space.
Moviestorm, as a 32 bit process, can only address 4gb of memory; 2gb is reserved for the operating system.
Some is assigned for the java heap space (possibly about twice as much as the heap limit).
It appears that rendering requires more.

If you have in the past changed the amount of heaps space available for Moviestorm (as described in this thread: http://www.moviestorm.co.uk/forums/index.p...showtopic=5827) then you should change it to a lower number. Moviestorm 1.5.2 is more efficient with heap space than earlier versions of Moviestorm were, so you can afford to have a lower limit on the heap space, which provides more address space for non-heap things.

You might also try disabling some of your addons that are not being used for your movie; 187 addons might be too many.

--------------------
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: