Photo

I want to have shadows on my terrain -- how?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ArthurVKuhrmeier

ArthurVKuhrmeier

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 492 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

Hello ladies, hi guys,

I enjoy the new terrain massively. There's just one thing that bothers me: The terrain shows no shadow!!! That's look pretty silly if you have a prop that drops a shadow half on the grid and half it disappears.

Now, I figured out that the movie.mscope file has an entry for the terrain:

CODE
            <flags>
              <string>TEXGEN</string>
              <string>DONT_CAST_SHADOWS</string>
              <string>DONT_SHOW_SHADOWS</string>
            </flags>

Great, I thought. I simply removed the two "SHADOW"-lines. But after reloading the movie, Moviestorm "repaired" the do-not-bother-me-with-shadows-lines. sad.gif

Has anyone tried to enable the shadows on the terrain successfully? Is there a hack or work-around to do so?

Thanks, Arthur smile.gif

#2 lucindamc123

lucindamc123

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 9170 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

Well I hide the Moviestorm terrain and make my own and then make sure they show shadows and that works fine. I usually make flat terrains with photographs, aerial ones, if I can find them. So they are not too hi poly that way.

#3 Ben_S

Ben_S

Master Director

• Mods
  • 4706 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:18 AM

I am not aware of a way to make it show shadows. As I understand it, it uses very different shaders to the rest of Moviestorm, and they may be written in a way that doesn't account for shadows.
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

#4 ArthurVKuhrmeier

ArthurVKuhrmeier

Master Director

• Pioneers
  • 492 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

Thanks Lucinda,

I know you do wink.gif but the terrain editor is really cool and offers great features I'd love to use - and I don't have to make an addon.

Thanks to you too, Ben,

I was wondering if there is a chance (a hack) preventing Moviestorm from "repairing" these two SHADOW-lines. That way I could at least try and see if the terrain showed any shadows. I checked all the files, but couldn't find anything. So I guess it's within the Moviestorm code.

I really, really want to figure this out because if we succeed we could build terrific sets with the terrain editor.