Reply to this topicStart new topic
Voice Recording

apostolos
post Jun 12 2009, 11:04 PM
Post #21

Critically acclaimed

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,110

There are some programs out there that have pop removing filters, like Adobe Audition, Sony Sound Forge, etc. This may help in the future.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rgr
post Jan 2 2010, 5:42 AM
Post #22

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 613

Overman,

This is a great thread (I've only just seen it now). I'm embarrassed at how bad my sound is. I've been a musician for 25 years and have done a lot of recording, but I just plain never though about the dialogue I'm capturing in the same way as vocal recording for songs for some reason. I'm not accustomed to recording on a computer I guess, or the hardware I'm using for machinima. I'm using a USB plantronics headset (VOIP) mic and that may be part of my problem. When I record for music (vocals, acoustic, etc.) I use a variety of micing methods (including pressure zone mics on separate tracks for some cases, in addition to directional mics), none of which is possible for me currently, so I'm stuck with the gear I have. I confess to totally brain clearing on placement though.

For singing, I've used a hanging mic at around eye level, and this typically gets around plosives. For screens, if you make your own, consider using a thick rim to stretch the nylons or hair net across, or whatever material you use. If a thick rim isn't available, consider creating a double loop out of a wire hanger. This will give some space between the front and back material surfaces, which can trap wind better.

I recommend buying one if you can afford it as the material that gets used in professional filters is often shaped specifically to redirect wind. Unlike hose, which are made from nylon threads that are round and will block or disperse some wind, many professional filters both block/disperse and redirect wind to get better protection since the material is made from flat louvered "threads" so any wind that does get through doesn't go straight back to the mic.

Another trick I used to use for vocals specifically (because it's easier to do for singing) is to use a heavy blanket (or two) for sound insulation. This keeps inside noise in (so the neighbors can't hear) and outside noise out (so the street noise doesn't ruin a take). If you don't have a sound proof room or booth, hiding under a couple of blankets can often do wonders. If you have portable recording gear, then most cars are pretty sound proof and can offer a nice quiet space for recording. This is good for acoustic guitars where just a blanket would impede the performer (though bringing some blankets out to the car to cover the windows is not a bad idea).

Anyway, for what ever reason, I haven't been thinking of dialogue in the same way, and haven't been using any of the same techniques, so I feel a bit silly.

I do have a strange problem though. I also use Audacity (I prefer the interface to GB, so tkd27 don't fret about not having a mac on this account) and I have wav files for dialogue that sound just find in audacity but sound terrible in my movie files, as rendered by MS. I captured the dialogue in separate wav files and used the MS file upload in the actor's "say" interface, and the same wav file in MS sounds fine in the director/camera/editor views, but sounds really bad in the rendered AVI.

I know where the bad audio is at in the movie timeline, but when I pull it back into audacity, I can't hear the same crackle and pop noise, therefore, I can't really clean it up. Any ideas on what could be causing this, or how to avoid it? The render I'm taking about was done at the custom setting with "high" quality (not sure why I didn't choose ultra, but I can retry at ultra if it will make a difference.)

I'm considering doing all of the audio outside of MS anyway, so I guess that may make this somewhat moot but I was sort of hoping to use the MS dialogue capability for lip sync tongue.gif

Thanks again for a great post.

rgr

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Jan 2 2010, 7:01 AM
Post #23

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,534

QUOTE (rgr @ Jan 2 2010, 04:42 PM) *
I know where the bad audio is at in the movie timeline, but when I pull it back into audacity, I can't hear the same crackle and pop noise, therefore, I can't really clean it up. Any ideas on what could be causing this, or how to avoid it? The render I'm taking about was done at the custom setting with "high" quality (not sure why I didn't choose ultra, but I can retry at ultra if it will make a difference.)

Just check your Dialogue, Ambient and Foley slider settings via the Audio button next to the timeline. If you drag them all down from 100% you might get an improvement.
Cheers.

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

+Quote Post
corthew
post May 15 2011, 8:08 AM
Post #24

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 11,729

QUOTE (tkd27 @ Apr 29 2009, 06:51 PM) *
If anyone is interested, the sound sample I gave Overman was my movie Run Luther, Run, so if you'd like to see exactly the problem Overman describes, there it is: http://www.moviestorm.co.uk/MSDB/MoviePageServlet?id=1299
The pops really become noticeable @ 1:35.

Ok, I'm pissed!

<jk>

I watched this video and there is no part 2!!!!

I have no idea what he's looking for.

I don't know how they'll dispose of the body or if they'll get caught trying to.

I am certain we'll see those two cops again and the rookie will somehow spoil things for the dirty cop, but I can never know for sure if there is no part 2!!!

BTW, TDK, you make great stuff.

Now make part 2 already!!!

wink.gif

--------------------
Sango: "If it was really a miracle everyone would have been saved."

Vargas: "But if everyone was saved how would anyone know it was a miracle."

Sango and Vargas arguing over the implications of one person surviving an unexpectedly active tidal season.

+Quote Post
tkd27
post May 28 2011, 6:04 AM
Post #25

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,984

QUOTE (corthew @ May 15 2011, 03:08 AM) *
Ok, I'm pissed!

<jk>

I watched this video and there is no part 2!!!!

I have no idea what he's looking for.

I don't know how they'll dispose of the body or if they'll get caught trying to.

I am certain we'll see those two cops again and the rookie will somehow spoil things for the dirty cop, but I can never know for sure if there is no part 2!!!

BTW, TDK, you make great stuff.

Now make part 2 already!!!

wink.gif

Thanks Corthew smile.gif You're not the first to ask about Part 2, so let me explain. In truth, there really is no Part 2. I had really made this as a stand alone piece, kind of like my first movie, Murray's Last Stand. It COULD be a scene out of a bigger movie, but it wasn't intended to be. Then I put it up as "Part 1" as an inside joke to myself, because, at the time, it had seemed to me that there were a bunch of really awesome Moviestorm movies with "Part 1s" that never saw a Part 2. Some examples include just about everything made by Zuckerman, as well as "Streets of Ash," "End of The World" (which has a part 2, but no part 3), and a few others I can't remember now. So putting it up as Part 1 was just my homage to that odd Moviestorm tradition :-)

I HAVE, however, considered going back and adapting that scene into a full buddy cop movie starring the cops. But I'm probably not a good enough writer to write a full movie, and even if I did I'd never have the time to get it done. I've been plugging away at a small (10 pages or so) movie for over a year, now. I just know I'll never have the time to make a big movie like that smile.gif

Now if you know a Hollywood producer who'd like to make it worth my while to quit my day job then we can talk, lol.

Seriously, though, thanks for the compliments smile.gif It means a lot. I'll have this bigger movie finished one day, but it's not at all a comedy, so it'll be something a little different than I usually do.

-Matt

+Quote Post
tkd27
post May 28 2011, 6:10 AM
Post #26

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,984

Oh - and to the original topic: FWIW I started recording dialogue on my iPhone and then using "remove noise" in Audacity to get rid of the background sounds. So far it's working out awesome for me. I'm sure it could be better, but for home made Machinima, I couldn't really ask for too much more.

And if anyone cares, I use an app called Voice Recorder HD by eFUSION. It was 1.99, but it's much nicer than the preinstalled Apple app. The quality just comes out better.

+Quote Post
jecar1
post Dec 29 2012, 3:10 AM
Post #27

Moviegoer

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,850

HI:

I use Audacity without any problems. I have a cheap headset with microphone that I use. There are a number of settings in Audacity that will remove some of those annoying sounds. I tend to breathe deeply when doing my voice overs. Also in Audacity, if you use the zoom feature, you can isolate the snaps and pops and cut them out. If you are using the "Noise Removal" use the "Get Noise Profile" option EVERY time because you may need to tweek the settings just a little to get the best results. Be sure to use the "Normalize" option BEFORE using the noise removal. I've found that the order in which you perform certain operations will produce better results in Audacity.

Hope this helps, rolleyes.gif
Jecar1

+Quote Post
primaveranz
post Dec 29 2012, 6:26 AM
Post #28

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,534

QUOTE (jecar1 @ Dec 29 2012, 3:10 PM) *
If you are using the "Noise Removal" use the "Get Noise Profile" option EVERY time because you may need to tweek the settings just a little to get the best results. Be sure to use the "Normalize" option BEFORE using the noise removal. I've found that the order in which you perform certain operations will produce better results in Audacity.

Thanks, those are useful tips. wink.gif

--------------------
"I have had the same problem with getting the wheels to rotate properly with animated cars. They have to be all the same size and round and that helps a bit." America's Top Modder.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: