3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Changing the maximum memory allocated to Moviestorm [Updated for 1.1.7], For people with lots of Content packs or making longer Movies

kv
post Oct 14 2009, 5:13 PM
Post #21

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Pioneers
Member No.: 5,849

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Jul 1 2009, 01:56 PM) *
PC:
Find the install directory for Moviestorm (C:/Program Files/Moviestorm General Release, if you went with the default).
From that folder, open in a text editor (such as Notepad).
Edit the following line:
-Xmx512M
to
-Xmx1024M
Using much more than 1024M will probably cause problems with Moviestorm, so it is a sensible maximum.

You forgot to mention the file that needs editing, the file is Moviestorm.l4j.ini which is located in the main directory, or at least thats the only file I could find in my quick search which had that line.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moviestorm
post Oct 14 2009, 8:20 PM
Post #22

Master Director
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 658

QUOTE (kv @ Oct 14 2009, 05:13 PM) *
You forgot to mention the file that needs editing, the file is Moviestorm.l4j.ini which is located in the main directory, or at least thats the only file I could find in my quick search which had that line.

Oops. The proof-reader has been shot, and we're defrosting a new one.

We've edited the post.

Thanks for spotting that!

--------------------
The Moviestorm Team

+Quote Post
kv
post Oct 14 2009, 8:47 PM
Post #23

Master Director
Group Icon

No problem wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
daleh
post Oct 14 2009, 9:28 PM
Post #24

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,720

Quick question, but do we need to change the setting we used for 1.1.6 back to its original value, or can it be left set as it was in 1.1.6?

If we do need to change it back can you remind us, for those of us with short term memory loss wink.gif , what the file was again and what to set it back to.... rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
kv
post Oct 15 2009, 8:01 AM
Post #25

Master Director
Group Icon

That file is in the Boot folder in your moviestorm installation, the file is called "boot.properties", not sure if it needs changing again though, I have left mine alone and had no stability issues yet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jae
post Oct 17 2009, 5:17 AM
Post #26

Moviegoer

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,224

Im on a windows platform, I updatted to the v1.1.7 and i tried editting the Moviestorm.l4j.ini file but it wouldnt let me edit it. After trying over and over again with different editors, i decided i should try to delete the file and make a new one with wordpad, then save it as Moviestorm.l4j.ini in the same folder. (Genius)

anyway, i deleted the file, and i tried to save a new one to the folder but it wouldnt let me either, so now i have no Moviestorm.l4j.ini file. Tried using Moviestorm after that, and to my surprise it works much much faster than before (i have 4gb of ram).

Just wanted to ask if there might be any consequences if i left it to run this way, with no limit.

+Quote Post
MajorLance
post Oct 18 2009, 10:07 PM
Post #27

Wannabe film-maker

Member No.: 927

QUOTE (jae @ Oct 17 2009, 05:17 AM) *
Im on a windows platform, I updatted to the v1.1.7 and i tried editting the Moviestorm.l4j.ini file but it wouldnt let me edit it. After trying over and over again with different editors, i decided i should try to delete the file and make a new one with wordpad, then save it as Moviestorm.l4j.ini in the same folder. (Genius)

anyway, i deleted the file, and i tried to save a new one to the folder but it wouldnt let me either, so now i have no Moviestorm.l4j.ini file. Tried using Moviestorm after that, and to my surprise it works much much faster than before (i have 4gb of ram).

Just wanted to ask if there might be any consequences if i left it to run this way, with no limit.

I would like to know this too, because I cannot save the edit or save a new file there. I'm tempted to try deleting it, but I wonder if there are consequences as well. Any info about this?

+Quote Post
Fulkster
post Oct 19 2009, 1:17 AM
Post #28

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 289

I believe you might have to start whatever word editor you are using "as administrator*"... which means you can't just double-click on a word file... you need to start the program as administrator, then load in the file. Maybe? (I changed the file that way.)

*especially since working in the program files directory?

--------------------
The next big thing: MOVIESTORM!

See my most recent movie: "Athena Project: Chapter 2 (Down the Rabbit-hole)"
http://www.moviestorm.co.uk/community/inde...p;vid_id=102329

(Soon, "Athena Project 3: The Laws Of Robotics"

Moddingstorm! Cool Mods!

+Quote Post
MoNeart
post Oct 23 2009, 8:48 PM
Post #29

Moviegoer

Member No.: 881

If you have 4GB of RAM on a MacBook Pro running snow leopard, and you change the memory setting to 1024M, would there be any benefit to changing it to 2048M or?

+Quote Post
mellowhardy
post Oct 25 2009, 12:25 PM
Post #30

Critically acclaimed
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,123

QUOTE (MajorLance @ Oct 18 2009, 10:07 PM) *
I would like to know this too, because I cannot save the edit or save a new file there. I'm tempted to try deleting it, but I wonder if there are consequences as well. Any info about this?

I'm tempted to try and do this too. MS is working great for me except when I change to different views or save a new camera angle, which takes a good four minutes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AngriBuddhist
post Oct 25 2009, 12:33 PM
Post #31

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,153

It could very well be similar to a problem I had with Vista and creating a needed text file to create Wall/Floor/Ceiling textures, called a Materials.materials.

It wouldn't allow me to save the damn thing.

First of course, using Notepad, you should check and make sure you've changed the file type to All Files rather than txt.

That didn't work for me, in the other situation, and it came down to Vista's User Account Control nonsense.

From the wiki, in reference to the other text file issue-

Note: If running Microsoft Visa, with User Account Control activated, you will most likely be unable to create this file. If so, disable User Account Control following Method #4 from this page.

Maybe this is the issue?

+Quote Post
mellowhardy
post Oct 25 2009, 4:26 PM
Post #32

Critically acclaimed
Group Icon

Thanks Angri but this didn't work for me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mellowhardy
post Oct 26 2009, 9:38 AM
Post #33

Critically acclaimed
Group Icon

It seems it just happens in a scene with rain in it.

Forgot to say what my system is:

It's Vista Home 64-bit
4GB RAM
Quad core pc
Nvidia 9600GS

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stormscape
post Nov 21 2009, 8:25 AM
Post #34

Master Director

Member No.: 892

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Jul 1 2009, 01:56 PM) *
First, ensure your Moviestorm install is updated to 1.1.7 or later.

PC:
Find the install directory for Moviestorm (C:/Program Files/Moviestorm General Release, if you went with the default).
From that folder, open the file Moviestorm.l4j.ini in a text editor (such as Notepad).
Edit the following line:
-Xmx512M
to
-Xmx1024M
Using much more than 1024M will probably cause problems with Moviestorm, so it is a sensible maximum.

I'm now running 64-bit Windows 7 and whenever I try to edit that file, I keep getting an "Access Denied" popup box. Any suggestions?

edit- Aw, never mind.

Opening notepad first "as administrator" then loading the file in from within notepad allowed me to edit it.

That out of the way, I too would like to know the ramifications of simply deleting the Moviestorm.l4j.ini file.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben_S
post Nov 23 2009, 2:03 PM
Post #35

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 116

I too would like to know the ramifications of simply deleting the Moviestorm.l4j.ini file

Then Moviestorm will use the default amount requested in the binary. Which was 256M for a long while.

I've edited the first post to recomend 800M instead of 1024M after having had reports from a user that the higher value was causing crashes. It is partially dependant on what other software is being run at the same time.

--------------------
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

+Quote Post
NeomerArcana01
post Dec 3 2010, 9:42 AM
Post #36

Film Critic

Member No.: 2,391

Hey guys, I'm on Windows 7 64 with 12 gigs of ram. Is it safe for me to jump the usage to something like 4096?

+Quote Post
Ben_S
post Dec 3 2010, 10:35 AM
Post #37

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 116

Unfortunatly, Moviestorm is not 64 bit, and will be running in 32 bit mode.
As such, I would expect that the limit is based around a similar number to the win32 OS's, although other software will probably not be reducing the maximum.
So, feel free to experiment, but if you find Moviestorm is crashing, remember that you have been experimenting, and change it down a bit.
I would sugest that the sensible maximum (on a 64 bit windows) is still probably between 700M and 1024M.

--------------------
Ben Sanders
Moviestorm Ltd

+Quote Post
Xolotl
post Jun 16 2013, 12:30 AM
Post #38

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 355

QUOTE (Ben_S @ Jul 1 2009, 1:56 PM) *
Note: 1.1.7 instructions have changed since 1.1.6

If your computer is above the minimum spec (and you have at least 2GB of memory), you may want to increase the memory available to Moviestorm, so that it is less likely to run out of memory.

Possible symptoms of Moviestorm running out of memory:
Significant slowdown after using Moviestorm for a while, or when going to the Cutting Room.
'Error switching scene' messages when loading or changing scenes.

First, ensure your Moviestorm install is updated to 1.1.7 or later.

PC:
From that folder, open the file Moviestorm.l4j.ini in a text editor (such as Notepad).
Edit the following line:
-Xmx512M
to
-Xmx800M
Many users have used 1024M as a useful maximum, but some have had problems. It is partially dependant on what other software or drivers your computer runs at the same time.

Mac:
Use Finder to find Applications/Moviestorm 1.1
Right click (or control click) the application and select 'Browse Contents', and look in the Contents folder
Open info.plist in the Properties List Editor
Expand the java tab
In the VMOptions property, find the bit that says -Xmx512M or -Xmx256M
Change the default to -Xmx1024M

EDIT 23 Nov 09: Changed the recomended max (PC) to 800M instead of 1024M after further user feedback.

Help! I changed my VMOptions property and my Mac won't open MS anymore. What did I do wrong? Can I set it to a default and what is it supposed to look like?

">

+Quote Post
mystery_egypt
post Jun 16 2013, 2:34 PM
Post #39

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 9,538

Your second last line is VMOptions, are you able to change its value?
If so, change -Xmx1024M to -Xmx512M.

+Quote Post
ArthurVKuhrmeier
post Jun 16 2013, 10:23 PM
Post #40

Master Director
Group Icon

Member No.: 14,616

QUOTE (Xolotl @ Jun 16 2013, 12:30 AM) *
Help! I changed my VMOptions property and my Mac won't open MS anymore. What did I do wrong? Can I set it to a default and what is it supposed to look like?

Open the file with a text editor, best is TextWrangler (free). Your file should look like this:

CODE
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>LSUIPresentationMode</key>
    <integer>4</integer>
    <key>CFBundleAllowMixedLocalizations</key>
    <string>false</string>
    <key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
    <string>English</string>
    <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
    <string>JavaApplicationStub</string>
    <key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
    <string>1.5</string>
    <key>CFBundleIconFile</key>
    <string>Moviestorm.icns</string>
    <key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
    <string>6.0</string>
    <key>CFBundleName</key>
    <string>Moviestorm</string>
    <key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
    <string>APPL</string>
    <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
    <string>1.5</string>
    <key>CFBundleSignature</key>
    <string>????</string>
    <key>Java</key>
    <dict>
        <key>ClassPath</key>
        <array>
            <string>$JAVAROOT/boot.jar</string>
            <string>.</string>
            <string>boot/lib/sjarcl.jar</string>
            <string>boot/conf</string>
        </array>
        <key>JVMVersion</key>
        <string>1.5*</string>
        <key>MainClass</key>
        <string>shortfuze.Boot</string>
        <key>VMOptions</key>
        <string>-Xdock:name=Moviestorm -Xmx512M -Dsun.awt.disableMixing=true -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Dsun.java2d.opengl=false -Djava.library.path=boot/lib/macosx:lib/native/macosx -server -XX:CompileThreshold=1500 -XX:+UseSerialGC -Dxr.conf=boot/conf/xhtmlrenderer.conf -d32</string>
        <key>WorkingDirectory</key>
        <string>$APP_PACKAGE/Contents/Resources</string>
    </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Please note that I added the first two lines after "dict": LSUIPresentationMode 4. It will hide the menu bar. If you want true full screen there's a real charming extension that adds the "two arrows" to all your windows including Moviestorm. Manual and downloads here: www.mactrast.com

Finally I can render videos in full HD resolution,
Arthur smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: